12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 27th Clipper - Feb 28th Dripper Obs/Disco

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were further N and NE which today made all the difference. Ashfield got above freezing at 33F and even Peru at 2k got to 31.

I was out along RT poop west of Fitchburg this morning and early afternoon and it was never above 28F - fwiw.

Went to Barre Falls for disc golf while snowshoeing. Wow, winter wonderland up there at 1,000ft el. Started out at 28 in steady flurries, and ended in snow grains at 25F, so there was some sneaky CAA on the back side of this system. We trapesed along over 20" of granulated mutilation, with 3" fluff from overnight.

It was actual backed to 24F back at my place at 2:30pm - now 26.

This seems to be a "pocket" of cold perhaps locked into NE zones by still anchored polar high over N ME. 44F - 48F as far up as SW CT right now sets up a pretty impressive 20F differential across the breadth of the region. I figure those living round them parts feel pretty strongly that only a rain event is on the way, whereas the conditioning around BOS and points NW is undoubtedly the opposite. Can't let the air out of doors guide one though ...

Given to the nature of retreating +PP we probably remain with some easterly component at least through 900mb level, and when diurnal cooling sets in this evening, it wouldn't surprise me if under-the-radar poorly modeled steady light small aggregate snow takes place up here in this cold air. Cold air may also try to roll back SW some, too....not uncommon to get that same behavior from SW ME cold air coming down into NE zones - just displacing that behavior farther down the coast some. Later on of course WAA ensues and any under the rad type action gets a synoptic assist - or becomes indistinguishable...

A brief period of light snow goes to moderate cold rain... Where it does warm sector, it will be dirty, and blowing across a very cold LI Sound, so probably similar to the last deal but perhaps a tick or two warmer. Same up this way. I suspect along and N of RT poopy has a shot at another ice storm, slightly more marginal. 29F icers probably 31.5 this time. Which by the way, that last event was serious out that way. There are many heavily ladened, well-bent over and or felled timbre out along the edges of the highway, and over the elevations out that way. I don't think the warm air is going to make it at low levels, much N of the CT/RI borders with MA. Even though said high is moving E, there is a clear damn signal in the isobaric contouring, indicating also where the warm front comes to screeching halt along said latitude; 6 hours later a low pops off just E of PSM, and we have ageostrophic counter flow then collapsing S (24-36hours).

What gets interesting after that is how fast that flips early spring back to mid winter in that 850mb level, because 3 out of the last 4 NAM cycles have indicating an ANA burst nearing .7" of liq equiv. It's just tough to tell if much of that is falling in that crashing column.

Lots of changes to go through 42 hours. Pretty potent shot of cold in here by hour 42.

Funny, when the cp is in the mid 30's w a west flow, under sunny skies and you're in the upper 20's....the cp is "torching".

lol...

Snizzle has increased in intensity over the past hour. I just did the 3 mile urban Brookline dog walk.....lovely winter's day...in one of the epic winters of any of our lifetimes.......with more to come. This system and the quick snow and colder solution both for last Friday and probably tomorrow are signals that the long term pattern is moving in our direction...just like the final system or 2 in the epic January to first days in Feb starting signaling warmer. I suspect one more KU and maybe 3 several inchers.

I was out along RT poop west of Fitchburg this morning and early afternoon and it was never above 28F - fwiw.

Went to Barre Falls for disc golf while snowshoeing. Wow, winter wonderland up there at 1,000ft el. Started out at 28 in steady flurries, and ended in snow grains at 25F, so there was some sneaky CAA on the back side of this system. It was actual backed to 24F back at my place at 2:30pm - now 26.

This seems to be a "pocket" of cold perhaps locked into NE zones by still anchored polar high over N ME. 44F - 48F as far up as SW CT right now sets up a pretty impressive 20F differential across the breadth of the region. I figure those living round them parts feel pretty strongly that only a rain event is on the way, whereas the conditioning around BOS and points NW is undoubtedly the opposite. Can't let the air out of doors guide one though ...

Given to the nature of retreating +PP we probably remain with some easterly component at least through 900mb level, and when diurnal cooling sets in this evening, it wouldn't surprise me if under-the-radar poorly modeled steady light small aggregate snow takes place up here in this cold air. Cold air may also try to roll back SW some, too....not uncommon to get that same behavior from SW ME cold air coming down into NE zones - just displacing that behavior farther down the coast some. Later on of course WAA ensues and any under the rad type action gets a synoptic assist - or becomes indistinguishable...

A brief period of light snow goes to moderate cold rain... Where it does warm sector, it will be dirty, and blowing across a very cold LI Sound, so probably similar to the last deal but perhaps a tick or two warmer. Same up this way. I suspect along and N of RT poopy has a shot at another ice storm, slightly more marginal. 29F icers probably 31.5 this time. Which by the way, that last event was serious out that way. There are many heavily ladened, well-bent over and or felled timbre out along the edges of the highway, and over the elevations out that way. I don't think the warm air is going to make it at low levels, much N of the CT/RI borders with MA. Even though said high is moving E, there is a clear damn signal in the isobaric contouring, indicating also where the warm front comes to screeching halt along said latitude; 6 hours later a low pops off just E of PSM, and we have ageostrophic counter flow then collapsing S (24-36hours).

What gets interesting after that is how fast that flips early spring back to mid winter in that 850mb level, because 3 out of the last 4 NAM cycles have indicating an ANA burst nearing .7" of liq equiv. It's just tough to tell if much of that is falling in that crashing column.

Lots of changes to go through 42 hours. Pretty potent shot of cold in here by hour 42.

Very close to my estate, and for some reason my house did not get the icing they did in Westminster/Princeton... we are usually fairly similar

Notlooking forward to Monday from a practica standpoint, very interested from a met standpoint

We're over 1k in this thread so I'd suggest someone make a new thread for the slop storm tomorrow and then we can let the last straggling posts about the clipper continue here. :snowman:

With so many different facets of tomorrow's storm I think breaking it up a bit is probably a good idea.

What's the deal with this thread... are we back to super threads where we can discuss today's snow, tomorrow's ice, flooding, wind and severe potential????

The title included both so everything was thrown into it. We should let this thread end with the last remaining posts about the clipper and Kev's torch today.

LOL so now we are breaking each storm into pieces, what's next hourly threads devoted to each microclimate........

TBH, when I'm at work or just glancing every now and then at the board I don't want to sift through pages of heavy ice and snow discussion for a storm that is going to be mainly rain and thunder down here lol

TBH, when I'm at work or just glancing every now and then at the board I don't want to sift through pages of heavy ice and snow discussion for a storm that is going to be mainly rain and thunder down here lol

So start a S CT rain and tiny chance of thunder thread

Call it the "Rain on CT Plain: Fun or a Pain?" thread

Archived