12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter returns with a vengeance thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't it make more sense for a more northern track with no blocking and a fairly strong SE ridge? Confluence is always overforecast this far out..If this isn't a perfect candidate for a N trend..i don't know what is

You don't want the GFS to trend further north though lol. There is blocking...a Davis Strait rex block...not massively strong though.

Doesn't it make more sense for a more northern track with no blocking and a fairly strong SE ridge? Confluence is always overforecast this far out..If this isn't a perfect candidate for a N trend..i don't know what is

We actually have some blocking in the NAO region, but the ridge is not large, and is somewhat weak. The blocking is what is preventing this low from being a cutter...even on the GFS. However, the Euro and GFS are just night and day next week. I think the 00z Euro is a little too supressed.

Euro is going to send that low through the grinder, with that confluence in Canada.

Can't believe the difference between the Euro and GFS. The NAO block really isn't that strong but the Euro wants to drive that PV into New England. I doubt it ends up as close as it shows. My gut really tells me that suppression is probably not the worry with this system, but if the Euro holds steady for another day or two, then I might change my mind.

Can't believe the difference between the Euro and GFS. The NAO block really isn't that strong but the Euro wants to drive that PV into New England. I doubt it ends up as close as it shows. My gut really tells me that suppression is probably not the worry with this system, but if the Euro holds steady for another day or two, then I might change my mind.

Yeah I agree. I thought something closer to the GFS was the worry all along, but the euro is stubborn too. It's possible both are the extremes right now.

Pretty rare to see a polar vortex dive into northern New England like that, esp. with only weak blocking and a trough over NW Canada. I agree that the Euro is likely overdoing the southward push of the polar vortex. Something like the UKMET, with the vortex dropping to a position ESE of James Bay by Mon, makes more sense.

Yeah I agree. I thought something closer to the GFS was the worry all along, but the euro is stubborn too. It's possible both are the extremes right now.

Ukie and Canadian both seem like compromises...with Ukie a bit further N and GGEM a bit further south in that middle ground. I agree with Justin that a Ukie type solution of where the PV lobe sets up is probably not a bad idea to go with right now.

We'll have to watch the Euro though closely...we still have to remember that this thing is 5+ days out...we started tracking it 2-3 days ago since the weather has been so boring. So its easy to fall into the trap of thinking solutions are locking in when in reality we still have an eternity (esp this winter) until we have any type of confidence.

General pattern would certainly argue we have to worry about something further north like the GFS...but there isn't zero blocking and if that PV sets up in the right spot then it can push it decently south.

the 12z Euro has picked up where the 00z left off...

The run could have replaced all those lines and colors and various physical parameters of the charts with a sentence that says, "Do not bother following the weather for at least 1 month because there will not be any", and that would have sufficed.

Ukie and Canadian both seem like compromises...with Ukie a bit further N and GGEM a bit further south in that middle ground. I agree with Justin that a Ukie type solution of where the PV lobe sets up is probably not a bad idea to go with right now.

We'll have to watch the Euro though closely...we still have to remember that this thing is 5+ days out...we started tracking it 2-3 days ago since the weather has been so boring. So its easy to fall into the trap of thinking solutions are locking in when in reality we still have an eternity (esp this winter) until we have any type of confidence.

General pattern would certainly argue we have to worry about something further north like the GFS...but there isn't zero blocking and if that PV sets up in the right spot then it can push it decently south.

What did you mean snow and 10 degrees Monday morning?

One thing that makes me concerned about suppression is that both the UKMET and GFS trended majorly toward the Euro. The UKMET shifted the polar vortex about 300 mi south vs. the previous run, while the GFS shifted it about 500 mi south.

However, there is a lot of volatility in this pattern, and there's no guarantee the guidance won't reverse those trends.

Archived