• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter returns with a vengeance thread

Damage In Tolland

Looks like we have a short lived 2- 2.5 day thaw..that will do some damage to the snowpack..but not melt anyones entirely..even in the valleys.. and then winter omes back pretty enthusiastically in 6-7 days. Fropa early Saturday morning..and then Sunday back below normal

Nice overunning event on day 9-10 Euro and then more cold.

post-492-0-91510200-1297624116.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a convoluted pattern this weekend and beyond. Looks like there will be a transient Greenland block which weakens and retrogrades SW toward Hudson Bay, while meanwhile a rollover ridge/potential block builds over W. Canada but is squashed by a developing trough over AK.

The one constant in all the guidance is a trend toward keeping heights higher than prior runs over Greenland late this weekend into this week, which traps a deep upper low E of Labrador. That upper low eventually becomes a 50/50 low by Sun as it combines with a northern stream system from the upper Midwest that is forced east underneath the relatively high heights over NE Canada.

Went out to "officially" measure my pack. Got 22"-24" throughout (as I had thought), but it is so hard! Practically had to hammer the meterstick through. Not sure if I am hitting ice or ground at the bottom.

I can stand on top of it in most places

28.0F now...

Not the case at all here. A thin veneer on the top, but does nothing to prevent knee deep+ steps throughout.

Torch has begun here. Now up to 31.0/23.

Is it just sw ct that gets warm tomorrow? OKX going 51 here, sunny, dowsloping winds should do the trick.

Yeah it could be pretty mild near I-84 and points se..down to you. Strong CAA will happen towards dark. People like Kevin may warm quickly, but fall in the aftn.

Euro ensembles try to develop a weak -NAO in the 11-15day. Better hope is happens because the se ridge will flex.

6c 850's at 12z tommorrow......a run at 50 for E SNE doesn't seem crazy if there was little cloud cover

I strongly agree with this. The only thing that I can't figure out is the effect on snow cover cooling the low levels of the air advecting in tomorrow. Late week it might make less of a difference.

Euro ensembles like the idea of a bit stronger blocking in Greenland from Saturday onward...its nothing like the mega blocks we saw earlier, but its definitely enough to push the gradient further south and probably give us a better shot at a more prolonged wintry pattern. No guarantees of course, but that is a bit of a better look than what we saw previously where we were more likely to see some roller coaster action.

Hopefully we can stay on the cold side of the boundary for the most part.

Archived