joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 8-12 Model Discussion Part IV

DaculaWeather

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to repost this from the other thread because the temp drops in alabama have been amazing.

Reports of snow just west of downtown Birmingham, AL.

That is pretty impressive considering temps are in the mid 40s there. Amazing temp change after the snow starts in al. Temps are going from the low 40s to 32/33 in a matter of minutes.

I thought surface temps might be an issue/problem for alabama since some areas even hit 50 but this system says screw surface temps, I'm snowing on you lol

HRRR not good for SN lovers in ENC, looks like the overwhelming majority will be in the liquid type. Hope I am wrong, it could always be a surprise, but the trends argue otherwise. 18z GFS soundings look like SN dominant type from 1am on, RUC is RN till around daybreak, and the 12z Euro was an all SN event but with just 0.06" of QPF, and at this point I would take it. Very concerned, talked to the Chief after the 5pm newscast and he thinks 2/3 of the precip will be RN here, higher than that towards the coast. We are in a good place to see any banding if it does develop, as MHX mentioned, but man I don't like the temps, hate being marginal and dependent on a changeover. :yikes:

1ref_t6sfc_f15.png

MHX radar already beginning to light up, here comes some RN :thumbsdown:

post-382-0-46677800-1297293791.png

Chris, thanks for sharing that from AL, hopefully it translates ene.

Good luck on this one dacula. Hope to see flakes flying after the Duke victory tonight! That should stir a few up..lol

RUC keeps me in the game late although pretty much time to watch the radars and streetlights now.

i just saw the series where you got that image from and made the above post lol! sim radar looks ok, but qpf is marginal...i have to admit that yes, even though its not a biggie like the others, i will be staying up for a 1-2" snowfall (or at least until it disappears off radar). esp since there is an apparent warm up coming, and if it lasts more than a week or two our chances of wintry wx decrease.

edited to add: well i guess that could be showing a virga storm :yikes: my dewpoint is up to 22 from 19 earlier this evening

Wanted to repost this from the other thread because the temp drops in alabama have been amazing.

That is pretty impressive considering temps are in the mid 40s there. Amazing temp change after the snow starts in al. Temps are going from the low 40s to 32/33 in a matter of minutes.

I thought surface temps might be an issue/problem for alabama since some areas even hit 50 but this system says screw surface temps, I'm snowing on you lol

CWOP/APRS reports:

41 in Birmingham @ 1730 local

32 in Jasper @ 1733 local

They're 40 miles apart

Edit: Temp is down to 39 in Tuscaloosa

Robert, I guess I am furthest NW in GA online now since Cedric is not online (not sure if he is in Dalton or CVG?) but the virga has not made it here yet. My current temp at 6:40pm is 42F. I am curious about how fast the temps will drop with the precip either overhead or falling. I believe I am about 30 or 45 minutes away based on radar trends. Going to watch it for you guys upstream and let you know what ground truth I am seeing here.

Good luck on this one dacula. Hope to see flakes flying after the Duke victory tonight! That should stir a few up..lol

RUC keeps me in the game late although pretty much time to watch the radars and streetlights now.

Wow that looks great...need it just 50 miles east please.....hope someone lucks out looking better each hour.

Duke lost to FSU earlier this season. They will fall again tonight.

Down to 35 here already, and seems to be dropping pretty fast. I was in Atlanta during the Super Bowl in 1968 (It was in Miami). They predicted 1/2 inch of ice, but got surprised by 4" of snow on top of it. It was quite a surprise for a Florida boy going to school in Tallahassee at the time. An inch tonight would be very welcomed.

Thanks guys for the great disco on this one. I feel like there should be a test or something when all of this is over....

The axis of precip is starting to tip noticeably now, from northeast to Southwest, you can see it clearly on any of the northern Al, Miss and Tenn. radars. Indicative of the northern flow exerting some influence, so this probably means for eastern TN and western NC the precip will cut off fairly quickly the further west you get, and nw NC is probably going to end up with the least hours of snow fall around the Southeast (in NC anyway). I think all of northern Miss, northern half of Alabama and northern half of GA roughly will be in snow for a pretty good time once it starts. The northern cutoff may act as a focus for enhancement in northern and central Al/GA areas tonight, and that may (or not) translate into SC and part of NC later tonight probably after midnight. Fun system to follow no matter what happens. My expectations here are still low , less than 1".

The axis of precip is starting to tip noticeably now, from northeast to Southwest, you can see it clearly on any of the northern Al, Miss and Tenn. radars. Indicative of the northern flow exerting some influence, so this probably means for eastern TN and western NC the precip will cut off fairly quickly the further west you get, and nw NC is probably going to end up with the least hours of snow fall around the Southeast (in NC anyway). I think all of northern Miss, northern half of Alabama and northern half of GA roughly will be in snow for a pretty good time once it starts. The northern cutoff may act as a focus for enhancement in northern and central Al/GA areas tonight, and that may (or not) translate into SC and part of NC later tonight probably after midnight. Fun system to follow no matter what happens. My expectations here are still low , less than 1".

Is the RUC still showing that lee trough setting up over us?

The radar started looking bad for here in a hurry. If we can get an inch, I'll be happy, but I have my doubts.

HRRR not good for SN lovers in ENC, looks like the overwhelming majority will be in the liquid type. Hope I am wrong, it could always be a surprise, but the trends argue otherwise. 18z GFS soundings look like SN dominant type from 1am on, RUC is RN till around daybreak, and the 12z Euro was an all SN event but with just 0.06" of QPF, and at this point I would take it. Very concerned, talked to the Chief after the 5pm newscast and he thinks 2/3 of the precip will be RN here, higher than that towards the coast. We are in a good place to see any banding if it does develop, as MHX mentioned, but man I don't like the temps, hate being marginal and dependent on a changeover. :yikes:

MHX radar already beginning to light up, here comes some RN :thumbsdown:

post-382-0-46677800-1297293791.png

Chris, thanks for sharing that from AL, hopefully it translates ene.

Me too. It's been amazing. Some of these stations were 48 to 50 degrees 3 to 4 hours ago, cooled to about 43 to 45 (with dewpoints only in the low to mid 20s)when the precip (rain/snow) started and within an hour they were 32/33 and snow.

I haven't looked that hard at eastern nc soundings beyond rdu but assuming you are using kpgv, soundings look cold enough if there is steady precip. I don't think anyone should trust the ruc on surface temps, it's almost always too warm and because of that it's precip type forecasts are going to be wrong.

Lookout, your boy GB has storm cancel in his voice.:whistle:

Saying 1" if that.

I haven't bothered to watch the lying coward because I didn't want to bang my head against the wall this evening :arrowhead:

I know he is just parroting ffc but I don't have much to disagree with ffc tonight except to say I think the potential is there for 2 inches somewhere south of 85 to i-20. But disagreeing over one inch isn't that big of a deal to me.

i just saw the series where you got that image from and made the above post lol! sim radar looks ok, but qpf is marginal...i have to admit that yes, even though its not a biggie like the others, i will be staying up for a 1-2" snowfall (or at least until it disappears off radar). esp since there is an apparent warm up coming, and if it lasts more than a week or two our chances of wintry wx decrease.

edited to add: well i guess that could be showing a virga storm :yikes: my dewpoint is up to 22 from 19 earlier this evening

It has been strange the ruc has showed really good simulated radar images but it's not reflected in the qpts. That would be one hell of a virga storm but I doubt it because the column is saturated on all the models at the time so it should reach the ground.

Archived