Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 8-12 Model Discussion Part IV

DaculaWeather

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call your attention to the radar in S. GA

Not the stuff in BMX headed towards MBY, but the stuff down near Albany / Tifton. Don't know what that means down stream but I am impressed with the radar given the GFS solution from days gone by.

That shows up nicely on water vapor as well. Hope it gives some luv to our Carolina peeps without transferring Georgia's lift to the coast to soon.

If the NAM happens, I'm going to blow a gasket. Hours of virga and failure persist over the majority of North Carolina with trace amounts in Raleigh and absolutely nothing in WNC.

That said, at this point it's best to use radar and the models like the RUC.

Yeah, not looking good for us, oh well, it was fun following, I guess.

If the NAM happens, I'm going to blow a gasket. Hours of virga and failure persist over the majority of North Carolina with trace amounts in Raleigh and absolutely nothing in WNC.

That said, at this point it's best to use radar and the models like the RUC.

The NAM was out to lunch frame one...I wouldn't even trust it.

Latest RUC really just focuses a band of relatively heavy precip. over Atlanta over a 2-3 hour period. Love it.Snowman.gif

What's interesting about the ruc is it's been intensifying the precip as it moves into ga for several runs now. That is counter to what most of the thinking was..which was a dying area of snow as it moved into ga and we get mostly the left overs. I did think earlier though there could be an enhanced band over the i-20 corridor as the precip was moving out. But latest runs have been shifting this band a bit north and intensifying it earlier.

That said, I'm a bit surprised at how long it's taken the precip to change over to snow in eastern alabama right now. That's a lot of wasted precip if it's all rain. But looking at mesonet, the stations in eastern alabama look fishy. There hasn't been any sign of precip actually falling there. For example, latest reports have Shoak creek is 39 over 19. Mt longleaf is 38 over 18. Not sure what the deal is there.

Given the low wetbulb temps, I'd be surprised if it takes long given how heavy that precip is but it's a bit puzzling why it's not changed over there.

What's interesting about the ruc is it's been intensifying the precip as it moves into ga for several runs now. That is counter to what most of the thinking was..which was a dying area of snow as it moved into ga and we get mostly the left overs. I did think earlier though there could be an enhanced band over the i-20 corridor as the precip was moving out. But latest runs have been shifting this band a bit north and intensifying it earlier.

i have been watching that too - and thankgoodness we are just about at 'that time' to see if it holds together. so far so good, knock on wood lol

That said, I'm a bit surprised at how long it's taken the precip to change over to snow in eastern alabama right now. That's a lot of wasted precip if it's all rain. But looking at mesonet, the stations in eastern alabama look fishy. There hasn't been any sign of precip actually falling there. For example, latest reports have Shoak creek is 39 over 19. Mt longleaf is 38 over 18. Not sure what the deal is there.

Given the low wetbulb temps, I'd be surprised if it takes long given how heavy that precip is but it's a bit puzzling why it's not changed over there.

East AL still seems to be having boundary issues and the band isn't as intense as it will be once it situates itself over West GA and the Atlanta area.

RUC_255_2011021001_F01_TMPC_925_MB.png

Looks to me back in Bama the changeover had to wait on the arctic front to slide through. Hopefully, our neck of the woods will change over quicker since we're not having to chill 50 degree afternoon surface temps. We'll know soon enough. That heavy band is headed right for mby :thumbsup:

Looks to me back in Bama the changeover had to wait on the arctic front to slide through. Hopefully, our neck of the woods will change over quicker since we're not having to chill 50 degree afternoon surface temps. We'll know soon enough. That heavy band is headed right for mby :thumbsup:

Temp is dropping really quick in Georgia right now. I've dropped 2 degrees in 10 min with heavier precip to my west. Hopefully we get a surprise out of this.

Archived