• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Blizzard of 1978

Chris L

I lived in East Providence (Riverside) at the time and I can tell you that the scene was very much like the picture you posted earlier. I went in to work on Sunday evening and left for home some time on Tuesday. I had my cross-country skis in the car, so I left the car at work and skied home, about a mile. Mostly what I saw were the tops of cars and antennae sticking out of the snow. At one point a gust of wind caught me and I fell over - head down, skis on the surface. I couldn't get up, and if someone out taking pictures hadn't heard me yelling, I don't know how long I would have been there. I don't know how much snow really fell, but I think there was a reported measurement from somewhere in EP of 39 inches and I have no trouble believing it.

I cannot believe there is no visible satellite loop or radar loop either.

Scott the guy on channel ten out of providence back then had a weather spotter in east providence that reported 2"...the last part of the storm wad prolific oes banding

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hambone, fantastic story, can only say this, you had to be there to appreciate the ten fold exponential intensity of this storm. QPF is a joke, how much meltwater can you catch in PVD with winds like that, the pic with the cars buried is what I remember everywhere, imagine the official total at Westerly State Airport was 20 inches?, of course the observer went home, the wind gusted to near 100 on the open ocean. I can say 30-40 was common even in SW RI.

Scott the guy on channel ten out of providence back then had a weather spotter in east providence that reported 2"...the last part of the storm wad prolific oes banding

That banding was just incredible, thats why I have a hard time believing my towns total of 27", after snowing sideways for 15 hours there was a lull then it started snowing hard again as a band moved through. I believe we got at least 36" or more.

I was in collage at the time at the University of Maryland. I did not major in Meteorology but had a strong interest. On the Friday before I happened to get a tour of NOAA in Wash DC. I believe the LFM was the model used back then. The storm was very well predicted. I remember that Friday how the Mets were calling this event to have historic ramafacations. As I said I lived in Maryland where we got like 8" as the storm backed in. I remember listening to WBZ that weekend and what was going on up here and being SO jealous I was missing it.

Great post and recollection from Hambone. Thanks!

Thanks, I remember waking up the next morning and being amazed at the ongoing intensity of the storm. It snowed from mid morning on Monday through Tuesday night. I stood under a street light Tuesday night looking up as it simply poured huge dendrites for another hour or so after the main storm had ended. It remains one of the prettiest sights I've ever seen. Come to think of it, I don't know how we "only" recorded 40"-42".:P

We lived on Copeland St, just into West Bridgewater. My backyard was the Skyview Drive In and my front yard was across the street from the Pine Valley Golf Course.

Nice! I know exactly where that is. I grew up off of Ash St, right near where it ends on West Chestnut St. My mother had a similar experience and got off of 128 just as those tractor trailors were jackknifing. She, by the grace of God, somehow found her way to Easton and hooked up with Rt 123. She was new to the area and somehow made her way from Walpole to Easton..lol, without knowing where the hell she was.

The USAF flew in army engineer battalions with their heavy equipment to open highways.

87226482.jpg

This is a combat engineer battalion from Ft Bragg NC and I think this is on the Mass Pike

around Allston?

On Ipswich, totals may depend on where the measurement was taken. You can get a good fetch

off Ipswich Bay and lift on some fair-sized hills not far from the shore.

New Milford CT (link to image, as image extension doesn't work here.)

http://www.ctpost.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=512623&width=628&height=471

More photographs here, although most of the book is not on Google.

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

I like to read through this site every year about this time and dream of another one.

http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/78blizzard.html

I realize the storm was over 30 years ago but most of the pictures pertaining to this storm look like they came from the 1890's. If we ever get another storm like 78 imiagine all the recorded data we'll have with everyone and their sister having iphones and what not.

Remember...satellite and radar technology was much cruder than it is now. WSR-74C and WSR-57 (yes, the YEARS that the technology was developed!) were in the field until the restructuring of the NWS in the early 90s. Much coarser resolution and NO looping capabilities, except for a crude one put together right on the office's radar scope (Chatham, Worcester and Bradley back then). With AFOS (precursor to AWIPS) had NO capability for looping, and NO COLOR! All B/W, and crashed all the time. As for satellite, only got shots every 1/2 hour (if we were lucky), and had to wait for it to SLOOOOOOWLY print onto facsimile paper (MUCH different than fax capabilities of today). If one wanted a quality satellite shot, had to print onto what can be likened to today's computer printers with photo paper, but took MUCH longer to SLOOOOOWLY print out.

I did find 2 visible satellite shots in the NOAA disaster report, and was able to scan them but the quality has a lot left to be desired. However, you can still make out the occlusion nicely on the shot on the morning of 2/7/78. Plus, if you look in the KU book of the snow, you can see what can be likened to a large snow band from Boston to Providence, with the bullseye in N RI into E MA near the I-95 belt around Foxboro and Norwood.

All in all, GREAT GREAT storm!!!

BTW, I do have the PowerPoint show updated with the new KU color graphics. The older version with the graphics from the previous KU book is still under "Papers and Studies" toward the bottom of the NWS BOX website. Just scroll down toward the bottom of the Studies page under "Winter Storms." Hope to have the new version uploaded sometime soon (whenever I'm off mids and able to hook up with our office IT person).

--Turtle ;)

P.S. Found a pretty good NOAA article about radar history here... http://www.magazine.noaa.gov/stories/mag151.htm

Enjoy!

Remember...satellite and radar technology was much cruder than it is now. WSR-74C and WSR-57 (yes, the YEARS that the technology was developed!) were in the field until the restructuring of the NWS in the early 90s. Much coarser resolution and NO looping capabilities, except for a crude one put together right on the office's radar scope (Chatham, Worcester and Bradley back then). With AFOS (precursor to AWIPS) had NO capability for looping, and NO COLOR! All B/W, and crashed all the time. As for satellite, only got shots every 1/2 hour (if we were lucky), and had to wait for it to SLOOOOOOWLY print onto facsimile paper (MUCH different than fax capabilities of today). If one wanted a quality satellite shot, had to print onto what can be likened to today's computer printers with photo paper, but took MUCH longer to SLOOOOOWLY print out.

I did find 2 visible satellite shots in the NOAA disaster report, and was able to scan them but the quality has a lot left to be desired. However, you can still make out the occlusion nicely on the shot on the morning of 2/7/78. Plus, if you look in the KU book of the snow, you can see what can be likened to a large snow band from Boston to Providence, with the bullseye in N RI into E MA near the I-95 belt around Foxboro and Norwood.

All in all, GREAT GREAT storm!!!

BTW, I do have the PowerPoint show updated with the new KU color graphics. The older version with the graphics from the previous KU book is still under "Papers and Studies" toward the bottom of the NWS BOX website. Just scroll down toward the bottom of the Studies page under "Winter Storms." Hope to have the new version uploaded sometime soon (whenever I'm off mids and able to hook up with our office IT person).

--Turtle ;)

P.S. Found a pretty good NOAA article about radar history here... http://www.magazine....ries/mag151.htm

Enjoy!

Thanks Eleanor! Great info Edit... I think I looked at that slideshow before. Even before I found Eastern/American wx.

I had already posted this in answer to another reference to the blizzard in another topic.

"I remember that! It started late afternoon and 2nd shift people had their engines smoothered trying to get home from work at 11pm. We made it about 100 yds. from our house with our '76 Scout and then had to struggle home. Two days later, the first plows came through and we went and dug out the Scout and it's engine, pulled the plugs/dried them and it fired up.

City of Rutland shut down all traffic and G.E. Aircraft where we worked actually closed for 3 continuous shifts! First and last time so far. The City asked for snowmobile help to transport Drs./nurses and EMS."

I will say again, Dec '92, March 1993, April 1997, etc. pale in comparison.

I wouldn't say pale in comparison. There were aspects of each of those that matched aspects of '78. For example, March 1993 was a huge storm that effected more than just New England. It's impact may have been less here, but it's over all impact was much, much greater. In terms of snowfall, over 56" of snow fell in Tennessee and over 43" fell in Syracuse. In terms of winds, there were gusts over 100MPH in several places. It effected over half of nations population. I don't think you could say that about the Blizzard of 1978. That's why I wouldn't say that it paled in comparison. In fact, one might make the argument the other way around.

Again, in terms of it's impact here, yes those storms had a lesser over all impact, but I do think that they each had some similar characteristics.

The initial impact of '78 was much more severe. A lot of snow, wind, drifts, people stuck on the roads, and nasty coastal flooding were part of '78. The civic center roof collapsed, and CT was shut down. You could not drive legally for a few days. Driveways were cleared with heavy equipment, as a truck and a plow were not going to make it. The lasting effects this year seem more severe this year with so many roof collapses and ice dams causing water damage - but that could just be my impressions as an adult versus being a 9 year old kid in 78.

Actually if you can blow up that digital image of the great Blizzard of 1978 you can actually see two major swaths in that storm. One on the North Shore where you can see how Ipswitch got the 43.9" and trace it to about the Burlington, MA area with got 30" of snow with Wilmington, MA at 32", Middleton at 34", Topsfield at 36", Danvers at 35" and of course Ipswitch at an estimate of 44". The second major swath wich many speak of starts at the immediate inland Southshore with 36" at Brockton, MA, 38.8" at Taunton, 34" in North Attleborrow, 37" in platesville, 38" in Woonsocket, RI, 40" in North Smithsfield, RI and 35" in Burrisville, and 36" upon Jerimoth Hill, RI. As you all can see based on the Satellite view, after the immediate Southshore, the Cape and islands are dryslotted with the eye of the storm swirling south of Natucket, not on Nantucket. The center of the storm stayed south of CapeCode and the islands. Boston and Providence had some different amounts dependent on where they were taken at the time. For example, Logan International Airport in Boston recorded 27.1", Downtown got 28", but someone as close by as the Backbay reported up to 32". In Providence a simliar situation occured. East Providence got 27", TFW Green got 28.6" but west Providence got 35". So as everyone can see "One Hell OF A Storm From DC ON UP":snowman:

I wouldn't say pale in comparison. There were aspects of each of those that matched aspects of '78. For example, March 1993 was a huge storm that effected more than just New England. It's impact may have been less here, but it's over all impact was much, much greater. In terms of snowfall, over 56" of snow fell in Tennessee and over 43" fell in Syracuse. In terms of winds, there were gusts over 100MPH in several places. It effected over half of nations population. I don't think you could say that about the Blizzard of 1978. That's why I wouldn't say that it paled in comparison. In fact, one might make the argument the other way around.

Again, in terms of it's impact here, yes those storms had a lesser over all impact, but I do think that they each had some similar characteristics.

Obviously I meant just for SNE.

The March 1993 was the Superstorm for much of the country. Pretty middling here

After lots of Research, I feel very confidence to say that I had 40" of snow on the ground from that Storm. Considering that it was a long and heavy snowfall storm, the compact ratio was Very likely 20% = Hence 50" in our current measuring system of 6 hours.

Im confident of 40" because I almost Always get more snow in storms from Woonsocket, especially in big storms, and I'm 150 ft.+ Higher and closer to where it seems the best banding was in that storm. Maybe the reason The Snowman lives in North Cumberland, is because it Jackpotted the Great Blizzard of 1978.

Obviously I meant just for SNE.

I think that's clearly understood (and correct.) Though 2/78 was a major storm for NYC and for the southern portions of NNE, its truly devastating impact was in the eastern half of SNE. Like many such events, it did little in the far north. We had 2" in Ft. Kent, and a major warmup after lows near -30 for Feb. 1-5.

After lots of Research, I feel very confidence to say that I had 40" of snow on the ground from that Storm. Considering that it was a long and heavy snowfall storm, the compact ratio was Very likely 20% = Hence 50" in our current measuring system of 6 hours.

Im confident of 40" because I almost Always get more snow in storms from Woonsocket, especially in big storms, and I'm 150 ft.+ Higher and closer to where it seems the best banding was in that storm. Maybe the reason The Snowman lives in North Cumberland, is because it Jackpotted the Great Blizzard of 1978.

:weenie:

The Bliz was what got me started as a weather fan. I was 12, lived in Lexington, MA, and my parents were in Bermuda, on the ONLY trip they every took without us! The storm was so big that even they got nasty wind and cold rain (I have to guess that the cold air pinwheeled all the way down there in modified form). Took them an extra week to get back, and I still have the permission slip from the MA State Police that they needed in order to drive home from Logan. I also kept the front page from the Globe, and have a vial of snow water that has survived a half-dozen moves. My kids think I'm mental, and are not impressed.

We shoveled a 1-person-wide corridor to the street (unplowed, so useless) by the end of day 3. A neighbor with a snowmobile made a milk run for all of us to the corner store on about day 4. This just wouldn't happen today, no way.

This was indeed a storm where if you weren't there, you can't understand it.

78 you had to be their but the dec26 storm was worse because the sanitation union in NYC decided not to pllow the city in a blizzard so my neighnorhood was paralyzed for at least 2 days but that was a manmade decision ubbelievable. The 78 storm we had a cityplow stick on the block 2 weeks ago we had a cityplow stuck in front of the house some things never change see ya.

78 you had to be their but the dec26 storm was worse because the sanitation union in NYC decided not to pllow the city in a blizzard so my neighnorhood was paralyzed for at least 2 days but that was a manmade decision ubbelievable. The 78 storm we had a cityplow stick on the block 2 weeks ago we had a cityplow stuck in front of the house some things never change see ya.

2 days /> 1 week, plus no power, plus no lil conv. store to get the pack of smokes/milk from

You guys have a great little thread here, really cool stuff. While I was only a year old at the time this storm hit, I'd like to add something to this. My old man still talks about this storm whenever there's a chance for major snow in this area, my mom too for that matter. Whoever was writing about getting through something like this with 4wd or something along those lines has no idea. I remember a blizzard here a few years ago where we wound up with close to 30" IMBY. I have a silverado PU, I had the back loaded up with cinder blocks for extra traction and with over a foot on the road with no plows in sight I had to make that truck work just to get home (and I got lucky). That trip was only in the beginning stages of the storm too. Nevermind something like this. If you have greater than 3' drifts, it ain't happening. Anyway, what I wanted to say, my old man is the typical tough guy do everything yourself type of person, at least he was back then. He dug this storm out by hand, and from what I've heard it took a couple days (they used to have pics, but I don't know what happened to them). This is the storm that made him break down and get a snowblower. That may not sound like much to you, but thats damn impressive to me even to this day. He still says nothing compares to what happened that year. Lastly, food for thought, for whoever thinks this "modern age" will prevent this from happening again. You better think again, as far as snow removal goes, many towns have the same trucks to clear snow that they used back then (at least the towns by me do).

Archived