wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 31-February 2 MAJOR Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah you guys are really riding the ragged edge!

i guess you guys are used to that with these big storms?

Typically, yes. Even in the Feb 2007 blizzzard (17" here), the mix/sleet line was about 30-60 miles to our south at times.

Doesn't get any easier, but at least we somewhat know what to expect with these types of storms. :)

So many variables. We are literally in the toss up area right now. Not for the faint of heart...

Something I'm wondering is if a stronger low could actually help us (as long as it doesn't go crazy west)...the gradient is so tight and it would perhaps strengthen the cold conveyor. All in all a tough situation with considerable uncertainty.

Something I'm wondering is if a stronger low could actually help us (as long as it doesn't go crazy west)...the gradient is so tight and it would perhaps strengthen the cold conveyor. All in all a tough situation with considerable uncertainty.

this is exactly what could happen.

If the vort is strong enough coming out of the SW...it could cause an SLP to bomb out in N. LA and Head NNE to the Indy/Ohio border or maybe east of there.

this would def allow colder air to filter south....would be the nam but a bit stronger...

The low doesnt really seem to bomb or intensify that greatly so couldn't that yield a track more like the GGEM but not as bad? If the system really winds up I can see a track like last nights euro but it isn't really wound up, just has a lot of GOM moisture with it. Or maybe I am way off and should step being a worrying weenie,

With a quick look, it looks like only 3 of the GGEM Ensembles want to play ball with the OP. The rest are NW, with most closer to the rest of guidance.

It sort of seems the op GEM was close to what the other models showed, it just split the pieces of energy up more. The overall baroclinic zone looks pretty similar to other models. Shows what a big difference there would be if the waves come out in pieces, as opposed to one large wave. Luckily the overall trend of the models the last few days is for one large wave to shoot out after the initial WAA snows.

It sort of seems the op GEM was close to what the other models showed, it just split the pieces of energy up more. The overall baroclinic zone looks pretty similar to other models. Shows what a big difference there would be if the waves come out in pieces, as opposed to one large wave. Luckily the overall trend of the models the last few days is for one large wave to shoot out after the initial WAA snows.

Which are becoming healthier with each run..

Archived