Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2 MAJOR Winter Storm

Powerball

One last thing.

If it's any consolation, this is the only storm this season I've really been very optimistic about. For me (debbie downer) to be this excited about a storm should mean something.

Don't sweat it. Its a thread. The gem was going to come in like it did regardless of who started it.. I'm happy to see the ggem come south. Although I agree, the gem has been horrible. But the gem, I believe, was the furthest west when the euro was suppressed. And it was the furthest west with last storm.. before it shifted east then as well.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did. Tough to bet against the King and a high res model which agrees with the King. :yikes:

It is, but the thermal gradient is so tight that it wouldn't take a big geographic shift on these models to clobber us. I'm not completely writing off a massive snowstorm yet but I'd say odds are a bit against it.

Don't sweat it. Its a thread. The gem was going to come in like it did regardless of who started it.. I'm happy to see the ggem come south. Although I agree, the gem has been horrible. But the gem, I believe, was the furthest west when the euro was suppressed. And it was the furthest west with last storm.. before it shifted east then as well.

The 00z run was on the verge of bringing rain up here. Awful continuity and not believable until something else supports it.

I'd highly favor the NAM with it's resolution and ability to pick up on storm development in the plains over the GGEM right now. And it's really hard to totally discount the slow but steady trend of the GFS towards a more NAM like solution.

I sense fear and the history of this winter is motivating your attempt to be rational. :D

before everyone panics.

the 12z NAM is almost a carbon copy with last nights 00z euro.....it may be a touch more amplified.

compared to its previous runs, the GFS took a MASSIVE step towards the euro/NAm combo at 12z, by hr 90 of its run, with trough position, strength and amplification of the heights. the fact that the latest GFS took this big a step towards the NAM/euro practically invalidates the GGEM run, which again, has been atrocious this year....at least in handling big storms in the east and northeast.

now IF the GFS hadnt made such a move today at 12z, and had remained similar to its previous runs, then id be more concerned.

having said all that, no storm is a lock with the energy still out in the Pacific.

It is, but the thermal gradient is so tight that it wouldn't take a big geographic shift on these models to clobber us. I'm not completely writing off a massive snowstorm yet but I'd say odds are a bit against it.

25% massive snowstorm for us

70% ice/sleet megastorm

5% all precip is 33 and rain

The 00z run was on the verge of bringing rain up here. Awful continuity and not believable until something else supports it.

I'm to the point of hoping that we just don't get the crushing ice storm the gfs shows. I like the gem cause it went more in line with the low track I thought would happen Last week when I mentioned this storm. GFS has what would normally be a good track for OH but even with the low in KY it still brings in the waa and brings 1.5" of ice.

Archived