Newest Member
    joxey
Building roof collapses

Ginx snewx

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More from the Waterbury area

(also Naugatuck HS was evacuted due to structural concern with a crack on the outside wall)

Cheshire Cox Building:

http://rep-am.com/news/local/doc4d4ad170c9834478696324.txt

Thurstons Naugatuck Collapse

http://rep-am.com/news/local/doc4d4ace760b30b294505579.txt

Walmart in Naugatuck evacuated as employees seen running out

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/education/naugatuck-high-dismissing-early-over-roof-concerns

Moving Company in Easton. Second one in Easton in 2 days

http://www.enterprisenews.com/features/x792287124/Moving-company-roof-collapses-in-Easton

Residence in Reading (building was occupied)

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/26732732/detail.html

WHDH TV showed a triple decker in Worcester also (unoccupied)

Seems like every couple of hours another one goes. Even of the additional weight doesnt cause the collapse right away structural fatigue failures from stress occur.

One day with 35 degree temps won't do much to relieve stresses unfortunately. I know the weenies want an insane snowpack but at this point we really need to have some kind of thaw.

This rain/wet snow isn't going to help matters. The snowpack will just absorb it. Was a residential collapse in Stoneham just within the past couple hours. I am afraid we see another wave tomorrow into sunday. At some more people are clearing them now. Saw one snowblower on a commerical roof driving home from work today.

Tolland school board cancels three days of February vacation

<H4></H4>

By Suzanne Carlson

Journal Inquirer

Published: Friday, February 4, 2011 11:38 AM ESTTOLLAND — With today the 10th snow day of the year, the Board of Education voted unanimously Thursday to subtract three days from February vacation, and School Superintendent William D. Guzman said today there are several options left if more snow days become necessary.

Tolland school board cancels three days of February vacation

<H4></H4>

By Suzanne Carlson

Journal Inquirer

Published: Friday, February 4, 2011 11:38 AM ESTTOLLAND — With today the 10th snow day of the year, the Board of Education voted unanimously Thursday to subtract three days from February vacation, and School Superintendent William D. Guzman said today there are several options left if more snow days become necessary.

Thats a bunch of horsesh#t, what about the average family that works there azz of all year for the one family vacation, thats absurd.

Thats a bunch of horsesh#t, what about the average family that works there azz of all year for the one family vacation, thats absurd.

The article went on to say that students/faculty won't be penalized if they had a scheduled vaca.

There's nothing else they can do other than go on Saturdays. By law they can't go past June 3oth. As it is they are now scheduled to go till June 29th

Commissioner Steven Reviczky said Thursday the incident at Kofkoff Egg Farm in Bozrah occurred Jan. 27 and the number of chickens killed was reported to the state recently. He says the dead birds were incinerated.

It was not immediately clear how much KofKoff farm lost from the incident. Its officials did not immediately return a call for comment.

The state says back-to-back snow storms since late December and a recent ice storm have brought down roofs of more than 130 barns, greenhouses, equipment buildings and other farm buildings in Connecticut.

More than a dozen dairy cows, two horses and a calf have been killed in building collapses.

Pretty normal response by the school board. Families with vacations will still go... During the winter I probably have 1 kid per week going to Disney, etc., vacation week or not. It's not like the "old days".

Happened here after the ice storm of '08

One thing I am not sure about is why some districts (including mine) started after Labor Day. That was absurd.

Pretty normal response by the school board. Families with vacations will still go... During the winter I probably have 1 kid per week going to Disney, etc., vacation week or not. It's not like the "old days".

Happened here after the ice storm of '08

One thing I am not sure about is why some districts (including mine) started after Labor Day. That was absurd.

Teachers unions...

After sending a reverse 911 call to everyone in our Town to clear off our roofs , one of our Fire stations collaped yesterday.

MANY stripmalls and large buildings have been closed and deamed unsafe .

The list gos on and on.

A local news story with a map of problems :

http://www.myrecordj...1cc4c002e0.html

http://www.wtnh.com/...artial-collapse

Plus many smaller garages, buldings & Gas station overhangs and so on.

Well got the call tonite...all the school roofs are cleared enough to be safe..BUT so much snow is on the ground blocking all the windows and the doors to be legally unsafe..so Tolland schools are closed tomorrow..You have got to be kidding me..They couldn't clear the doors and windows in time for tomorrow?

Day 11

and Tuesday likely another snow day lol

Well got the call tonite...all the school roofs are cleared enough to be safe..BUT so much snow is on the ground blocking all the windows and the doors to be legally unsafe..so Tolland schools are closed tomorrow..You have got to be kidding me..They couldn't clear the doors and windows in time for tomorrow?

Day 11

That's moronic. Are they the only town with this issue??

Day 11

why do people close for a few inches of snow? I mean wtf is wrong with CT?

That's moronic. Are they the only town with this issue??

No alot of the surrounding towns like Vernon, Stafford, Ellington, East Windsor..all have had the same problems..This whole area has jackpotted with snow with no melting...and there were some structural problems..some of which i don't think they made public..that it had to be done..

They called every parent in town automated wise this weekend and asked for snowblowers, shovels, people to help shovel etc...I guess they got the roofs at least shovelled enough to be structurally safe, but 3 feet of snow and ice are piled high against all the doors and windows and they couldn't clear that.

You would think they would have brought in dozers and stuff to move the stuff..

Calling in the National Guard tells you there were some major issues that weren't disclosed

Archived