Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Building roof collapses

Ginx snewx

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say its shocking to see so many even still. I don't think there has been a day in the last few weeks where a collapse has not been reported in CT! A friend who lost their garage two nights ago is fighting with insurance as to what contents are covered as they say the structure will be covered not the contents because of the exceptions listed for precipitation fault or something. They are still in the process of working that out, but that is something for people to check. I am sure especially in CT this sort of inquiry is not a standard insurance policy concern.

It is absolutely amazing that there has not been any serious injury or deaths in SNE. So easily someone could have been killed. What are the chances 300 structures fail and not one person is trapped and killed. I did hear a report of 85,000 chickens being killed somewhere, but was not listening to intently to the report so I might be wrong.

It is absolutely amazing that there has not been any serious injury or deaths in SNE. So easily someone could have been killed. What are the chances 300 structures fail and not one person is trapped and killed. I did hear a report of 85,000 chickens being killed somewhere, but was not listening to intently to the report so I might be wrong.

Bozrah CT

WELL it WAS It was the largest free-standing building in Connecticut:

Police say it is the size of two football stadiums, not football fields, but stadiums. It was Mototown USA, the largest indoor motorcycle track in North America, but the weight of the snow was just too much for the massive steel girders

Not anymore , Real lucky no one was hurt. I know a few people that raced there, and the owner was on the roof clearing it at the time of collapse!

They made it to another section that stayed up!

http://www.wtnh.com/...apse-in-windsor

It was huge..right up the street from my shop. Has an attached building with a Blimpies and D&D and Golds gym. We used to go there for lunch all the time and watch motocross while we ate. I heard they we going to make it into some kind of movie studio set or something...Not no more

A friend I work with who lives just a few streets down from me told me at work today that a garage behind her apartment collapsed and she showed me...just insane. It collapsed on a bunch of cars, in fact, it collapsed minutes after someone had just parked and went inside their house.

Was there a Prius in there?

post-492-0-80960900-1297516749.jpg

They're dropping like flies in Tolland this week

Crandall's Pavilion: Another Casualty of Harsh Winter

41.864401-72.369252primaryCrandall's Pavilion: Another Casualty of Harsh WinterCrandall Park64 Cider Mill Rd, Tolland, CT/listings/crandall-park1713074 /locations/3376780A town landmark, The Pavilion at Crandall Park, was found collapsed on Monday evening.

A couple of dog walkers were walking the trails of Crandall Park this past Monday when they discovered a devastating scene. At 5:30 p.m., they made a call to Operations Manager Clem Langlois Jr., of Department of Public Works, informing him that the roof of the Pavilion had collapsed."It's a total loss," said Fire Chief John C. Littell.

Overwhelmed by the number of town-owned properties from which to remove snow, Langlois said, "This was the only roof we didn't get to."

What is left of the pavilion roof now forms a 90º angle with the snow-covered ground. Langlois said that things like the grill and trash cans, stored underneath the pavilion to protect them during the winter months, were lost in the collapse as well.

"The insurance company has called for a demolition company," said Langlois.

The pavilion has been host to countless celebratory occasions during the warmer seasons. Families and friends used the grills and picnic tables for birthday and graduation parties, as well as less formal barbecues. Residents could rent the Pavilion on the weekends and have exclusive use of the sand volleyball court, large charcoal grill and horseshoe pits.

"The place is dangerous now," Langlois said.

Interested in a follow-up to this article?

wow, they need to learn how to build things a little better in CT. Here in the Berkshires we are considered zone 4 and have the highest design loads required in Mass. (65lbs sq/ft but we tend to build to 85lbs or better). Never had any structure I've built come close to failing.

wow, they need to learn how to build things a little better in CT. Here in the Berkshires we are considered zone 4 and have the highest design loads required in Mass. (65lbs sq/ft but we tend to build to 85lbs or better). Never had any structure I've built come close to failing.

We just aren't used to 70+ inches of snow in 30 days..Buildings just can't support that weight with no melting

That would have to be the landlord's job :D

Plus...no way in hell would I do that...I'm afraid of heights and this apartment is pretty tall. We'll just have to tell them tomorrow.

I hear ya' I am not a fan of ladders! Almost time to start a severe weather thread, just 2 months till we start rocking!

You never know Paul, maybe sne can hang onto a sick gradient into spring.

I would love another year like 2008...was just a sick year with all those cold pool aloft events...having 500mb temps in the summer constantly around -15C can do wonders...just get a little moisture and some lift and boom!

Archived