Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Building roof collapses

Ginx snewx

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly can't see how it can take so long to get roofs cleared and schools safe. The warnings about clearing snow from roofs started 2 full weeks ago. It's not like we saw 60" of snow overnight...they saw it coming. Yet it seemed like most places decided not to heed warnings and start clearing roofs until last Friday.

Back to the plow chat, I agree with Kevin, that the state DOT does do an awesome job in CT. I would say around half the fleet has wing plows, some even double wings (which are awesome to see in action). They are constantly using payloaders to clear the bridges and widen out the intersections, as well as pretreating before events.

Some of the local towns are obviously struggling, but that is often their own fault for not pushing back to and over the curbs starting with the first event of the year. Shelton, for instance, hired in a payloader mounted blower to get back to the curbs where they fubared things back on 12/26.

post-661-0-02376900-1297093626.jpg

It's called a Wing Blade. You guys are cute. Would have thought everywhere in New England had them.

Yeah I thought that was standard equipment. I don't pay much attention but it seems pretty much all our plows have them here.

There is a constant war ongoing between the department of public works and the post office. Post office leaves notices saying our mail box is too far back so we're not getting our mail, public works brutally mauls the mail box if we move it forward.

Helps to have a supply of mailboxes on hand.

Yeah I thought that was standard equipment. I don't pay much attention but it seems pretty much all our plows have them here.

There is a constant war ongoing between the department of public works and the post office. Post office leaves notices saying our mail box is too far back so we're not getting our mail, public works brutally mauls the mail box if we move it forward.

Some folks here put a mailbox on a sawhorse and that allows them to move it as needed.

I snowblow the heck out of my mailbox area...all good until the town comes by with the swing blade! Bam.... instant 4' snow pile... snowblow again... rinse repeat

The local towns and the state all have wing plows on the trucks around here. Also have a collection of road graders and loaders with front plows and wings.

While I was using my backhole to try and scrape some of the thawing ice off my gravel driveway, Randy our towns Road Agent went around with the grader and was shelfing the snowbanks back.

DSC01693.jpg

And if you need a snowblower, give me a call, 6' wide, 30" tall.

DSC01679.jpg

Mr. SnowVole, There is nothing cryptic about my personality. I'm simply a curmudgeon.

Saw some wing plow chat so I figured I'd wave these around:

180873_198929786790859_100000215188100_857534_1942829_n.jpg

It's only in the north country that I've seen the wings on vertical slideposts rather than fixed at ground level - necessary when the banks get high. In 1984 we had huge snow Nov-Feb, then a 10-day thaw in late Feb - took my Ft.Kent snow down from 59" to only 35". The woods roads NW of Allagash, up at 1,500'+ where the snow might've settled from 65" down to 55", Irving's big grader worked the roads with the wing about 5' up the post, leaving the narrow road looking like a bobsled run. When early March brought temps in the -20s, those vertical banks had about the same consistency as a bobsled run, too. Since the width between banks was less than logtruck+pickup, driving was rather entertaining. (Then we got the 25-30" storm of 3/14-15, just for fun, bringing depths up to 80" in the woods.)

We got the nasty note from the PO saying our boxes weren't cleared out enough (there are several boxes for different houses side-by-each). Sometimes people are actually at work when it snows and can't clear 'em out till they get home, ahem.

My neighbor was out with his tractor the other day clearing around the mailboxes. His tractor got sucked into the ditch, became very stuck and tore our mailbox off in the process. Appreciate the effort though--and all fixed now.

Anyway, back to roofs--with the glass rising above 32 for a few hours this afternoon, I had a lot of sliding today--loved it too. The roof was actually doing the work and not me.

It's called a Wing Blade. You guys are cute. Would have thought everywhere in New England had them.

I was just having this discussion last week with some folks who used to plow/ currently plow for some of the towns. Apparantly many towns have take away the "Wing Blade" plows due to them not being very effecient (I assume meaning when it comes to transfering the blade from one side to another). The general consesus is that the standard plows that they use now are enough most of the time.

We got the nasty note from the PO saying our boxes weren't cleared out enough (there are several boxes for different houses side-by-each). Sometimes people are actually at work when it snows and can't clear 'em out till they get home, ahem.

Postal workers have been very gracious where I now live, but my wife caught one having a bad day when we lived in Gardiner, Maine. Early that winter (92-93) our neighbor had parked his dead pickup such that the town plow was unable to clear any closer than about 25' from the road end of our driveway due to the curve of the cul-de-sac on which we lived. This meant that we needed to clear not just the 25' but a whole segment of the circle. A couple days prior to the 3/93 superstorm, while I was away in northern Maine, we had 6"+ of heavy wet snow. Since she couldn't begin to clear all the area needed for the mail vehicle to access the mailbox, my wife watched for it and was standing at the edge of the plowed area to help out. Despite that, the mail lady gave her a scolding and an orange slip with a "won't deliver if..." warning. As my officemate says, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Common mailbox strategy in the North is to hang it from a yardarm - no post to hit and even if the wing is high enough to catch it, the result is usually a dent rather than a crush.

Roof collapse from Woodstock, ct., taken a few minutes ago.

I was told before I went out there that the roof, and house "imploded into the basement". Obvioulsy that was not the case, and a bad rumor.

Eitherway, it sucks to be the owner of this house.

Yikes, just saw this abandoned mill right off of Margaret Henry Road in Sterling, man those people are buried , just about a 1/2 mile from my house as the bird flies at elevation 600. I was told at NAPA in Brooklyn that a former church in Dayville collapsed today.

Had to look that one up, and still all I came up with is a nautical term.

In this context, it's a vertical post set back from the plowpath, with a braced horizontal bar hanging above the plow's reach. One of the more ingenious applications is having the bar on a pivot and slightly back-weighted, with a rope hanging from the road end. Thus the mail delivery person pulls the rope to bring the mailbox into reach. Of course, all the pre-Christmas catalogs might keep the thing from pivoting back upward.

I guess school really did need to be cancelled yesterday...Wow

post-492-0-37498100-1297208503.jpg

Removing Snow In Tolland

(STEPHEN DUNn / Hartford Courant / February 7, 2011) A private contractor was hired by the town of Tolland to remove the snow from the 80,000 sq. ft. roof of the Tolland Intermediate School this weekend. According to the contractor, Watertight Roofing of Wethersfield, in order to meet the Monday at 7 am deadline, his crew of 37 men worked 30 hour shifts to clear the snow. He said they had no choice but to dump the snow on the ground surrounding the school thus blocking all the windows and doorways. Because of this, school was cancelled once again Monday in Tolland as town crews worked with bucket loaders and shovels to clear the entrances and fire exits. Some drifts were as high as the second floor of the building completely obscuring the exit doors and windows. There is still some question whether they will be done in time to open school on Tuesday. In photo, Don West, a truck driver for the Tolland Highway Dept., works with a shovel to expose a first floor classroom window that was buried in front of the school.

Removing Snow In Tolland

(STEPHEN DUNn / Hartford Courant / February 7, 2011) A private contractor was hired by the town of Tolland to remove the snow from the 80,000 sq. ft. roof of the Tolland Intermediate School this weekend. According to the contractor, Watertight Roofing of Wethersfield, in order to meet the Monday at 7 am deadline, his crew of 37 men worked 30 hour shifts to clear the snow. He said they had no choice but to dump the snow on the ground surrounding the school thus blocking all the windows and doorways. Because of this, school was cancelled once again Monday in Tolland as town crews worked with bucket loaders and shovels to clear the entrances and fire exits. Some drifts were as high as the second floor of the building completely obscuring the exit doors and windows. There is still some question whether they will be done in time to open school on Tuesday. In photo, Don West, a truck driver for the Tolland Highway Dept., works with a shovel to expose a first floor classroom window that was buried in front of the school.

Insane... maybe they could bring it to your house

http://www.gazettenet.com/2011/02/09/snow-load-still-threat-barns-boathouse-collapse

from the article:

Rowing team setback With their season expected to start in a couple of weeks, the UMass women's rowing team also must regroup after seven boats were destroyed over the weekend when heavy snow collapsed a tent-like canopy at Elwell State Park on Damon Road in Northampton.

That's about half of the team's boats, which were snapped in half when the roof collapsed, said head coach James Dietz. Two additional rowboats for coaches were also destroyed.

"About 4 feet of snow came tumbling down," he said.

He said the team tried to clear the snow off the roof in the days prior to the collapse, but couldn't move it because it was frozen and heavy.

He estimates the damage to be as much as $175,000. Each boat costs between $10,000 and $30,000. He hopes the university will foot the bill to replace the boats.

ummm... good luck with that.

Removing Snow In Tolland

This is definitely a job custom-made for the Jebman. I love to shovel snow.

I'd clear the snow from the roof then away from the building.

Prepare to be extremely embarrassed by extremely tall snowpiles, as my enthusiasm knows NO limits.

WELL it WAS It was the largest free-standing building in Connecticut:

Police say it is the size of two football stadiums, not football fields, but stadiums. It was Mototown USA, the largest indoor motorcycle track in North America, but the weight of the snow was just too much for the massive steel girders

Not anymore , Real lucky no one was hurt. I know a few people that raced there, and the owner was on the roof clearing it at the time of collapse!

They made it to another section that stayed up!

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/building-collapse-in-windsor

WELL it WAS It was the largest free-standing building in Connecticut:

Police say it is the size of two football stadiums, not football fields, but stadiums. It was Mototown USA, the largest indoor motorcycle track in North America, but the weight of the snow was just too much for the massive steel girders

Not anymore , Real lucky no one was hurt. I know a few people that raced there, and the owner was on the roof clearing it at the time of collapse!

They made it to another section that stayed up!

http://www.wtnh.com/...apse-in-windsor

Was that the former GM facility? I worked there one day back when I did another career. The place was closed down and we were doing some site cleanup. Huge, empty building.

Archived