joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Building roof collapses

Ginx snewx

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No alot of the surrounding towns like Vernon, Stafford, Ellington, East Windsor..all have had the same problems..This whole area has jackpotted with snow with no melting...and there were some structural problems..some of which i don't think they made public..that it had to be done..

They called every parent in town automated wise this weekend and asked for snowblowers, shovels, people to help shovel etc...I guess they got the roofs at least shovelled enough to be structurally safe, but 3 feet of snow and ice are piled high against all the doors and windows and they couldn't clear that.

You would think they would have brought in dozers and stuff to move the stuff..

Calling in the National Guard tells you there were some major issues that weren't disclosed

But so many towns in MA have similar snow and I never heard of this going on. Everyone has similar amounts.

It's not just CT..Most SNE towns do it..You guys might not have school Tuesday.

The simple answer is lawsuits. No ifs, ands , or buts.. One bus slides off the road..one child gets injured..and the lawsuits start flying

that's ridiculous...there was only like 5 legitimate snow days this year...

You could get sued anywhere... Why do Buffalo schools not close for 6" but tolland closes for 3"?

I know...I really think it was the 26 and 16 inch snowstorms within 10 days of each other.. 42 inches of snow in 10-12 days just overwhelmed them I guess. i don';t really know the answer other than that.

I saw on the news here, that Tolland had help from inmates, clearing the snow. They should have had a crew on the roofs and on the ground clearing snow. I mean, how many schools are in Tolland?

But so many towns in MA have similar snow and I never heard of this going on. Everyone has similar amounts.

CT's snow removal does suck compared to MA from what I've seen/heard...but this is bordering on ludicrous. I remember the famous New Years day in 2008 when I drove up through CT mostly in rain until I got to Ashford and Union CT where it was heavy snow falling and the roads were a total mess....as soon as I crossed into MA, the roads were fine and wet even though it was still snowing heavily.

I saw on the news here, the Tolland had help from inmates, clearing the snow. They should have had a crew on the roofs and on the ground clearing snow. I mean, how many schools are in Tolland?

4 lol..We have 4 freaking schools in town. The high school is new..just built a few yrs ago. State of the art everything..a middle school..and 2 elementary schools..

We had to rent those plows with the side blade and the blade on front from Mass. The day of the GTG when they came by to widen our rds..the side of the truck read Charlton, Mass...and our town plow was behind him in his truck pushing more snow back. I was talking to him and he said they had to rent 4 of them. We just don't have that kind of equipment.

I will disagree with Will though. CT does a very good job on the highways overall.

4 lol..We have 4 freaking schools in town. The high school is new..just built a few yrs ago. State of the art everything..a middle school..and 2 elementary schools..

We had to rent those plows with the side blade and the blade on front from Mass. The day of the GTG when they came by to widen our rds..the side of the truck read Charlton, Mass...and our town plow was behind him in his truck pushing more snow back. I was talking to him and he said they had to rent 4 of them. We just don't have that kind of equipment.

I will disagree with Will though. CT does a very good job on the highways overall.

Relative to MA I think they are worse.

I've seen them on the highways here. It's pretty neat to see. The side blade pushes back the snow, and gives the snow bank that "step" look to it. I'm surprised they wouldn't have those in CT...esp nrn CT.

That could be..I;'ve never driven in Mass during a snowstorm..but as long as the tractor trailers don't jack knife..and cause problems..CT does a pretty good job. esp on the interstates...

I'm basing it off my own experience and several times Megan had problems on I-84 with unplowed areas once she got over the MA/CT line into Union and Ashford. Both iafter the Dec 19-20 storm last winter and the New Years weekend retrograde storm she said she crossed into CT on 84 and it would go down to basically two lanes because of sloppy plow jobs. Maybe they are better elsewhere, but near the state line there they have always been noticeably well behind the MA efforts.

I've seen them on the highways here. It's pretty neat to see. The side blade pushes back the snow, and gives the snow bank that "step" look to it. I'm surprised they wouldn't have those in CT...esp nrn CT.

I 've seen the state rds..like Route 74 use them before..but the actual cities and towns here do not have them..Maybe the NW hill towns do..

Yeah i was watching the guy do my street..and the snowbanks were so deep that that step look wasn't really happening..so much so that our town guy had to follow him to clean up the edges..They had to come around the neighborhod twice on both sides of the street.

I'm basing it off my own experience and several times Megan had problems on I-84 with unplowed areas once she got over the MA/CT line into Union and Ashford. Both iafter the Dec 19-20 storm last winter and the New Years weekend retrograde storm she said she crossed into CT on 84 and it would go down to basically two lanes because of sloppy plow jobs. Maybe they are better elsewhere, but near the state line there they have always been noticeably well behind the MA efforts.

Once you leave Vernon..I agree the plowing gets dicey..probably due to 2 things..less amount of plows up here..and the terrain. That hill in Tolland right after my exit is a notorious accident spot..and in fact was closed during the 16 inch snowstorm because it was impassable... they didn't open it until like noon that day after the snow stopped. In fact..I think that exact area is where Megan got into her accident wasn't it?

It's called a Wing Blade. You guys are cute. Would have thought everywhere in New England had them.

All of Hartford schools are closed tomorrow.. That's 17 schools

Insane... my school's roof collapsed in 1978, and I never heard of it being a problem for schools like this year before.

One cool thing that I have seen out here on Rte 2 is a piece of equipment that looks like a giant, bus sized snowblower. Possibly National Guard owned? They were chewing up the banking son rte 2 in Gardner Friday afternoon. Saw it last year, as well, during that Feb 24 disaster.

Our town always uses the wing blade to widen/push back the bankings.

And teacher's unions have no say in the school year. School committee (voted for by citizens) establish it.

Insane... my school's roof collapsed in 1978, and I never heard of it being a problem for schools like this year before.

One cool thing that I have seen out here on Rte 2 is a piece of equipment that looks like a giant, bus sized snowblower. Possibly National Guard owned? They were chewing up the banking son rte 2 in Gardner Friday afternoon. Saw it last year, as well, during that Feb 24 disaster.

Our town always uses the wing blade to widen/push back the bankings.

And teacher's unions have no say in the school year. School committee (voted for by citizens) establish it.

The giant snow blower thing happens every now and then when the snow gets deep enough. I see the wing blades every now and then around the city streets in ORH, but they def love them up in your area even more...Rt 140 up there and 31 I see them all the time.

The giant snow blower thing happens every now and then when the snow gets deep enough. I see the wing blades every now and then around the city streets in ORH, but they def love them up in your area even more...Rt 140 up there and 31 I see them all the time.

We need snow up here... the local economy depends on it

Vim Toot

Gotta keep the snow mobile trails and X-country trails in N ORH county in top form. :snowman:

Vim Toot

They are everywhere this year... they do make great trails for walking the dog in the woods near my house. He is too old to be bounding in 30" snow. I do feel bad for the riders who then have to clean dog poop out of their machines.

We actually had 2 machines cross rte 140 in front of us on the way back from the mountain in Westminster

Some towns have wings here but we have been busy with the towns that don't as a contractor, helps that our truck is AWD as well and we can really bench it back, some roads have needed three or four passes though, almost 7 ft banks in some subdivisions...booked all this week as well hope it doesn't melt first lol it's been good money

When I was growing up going to school snows days didn't seem to happen all that often, there REALLY had to be a good deal of snow on the ground or the storm basically had to be going on through the morning. At least in West Hartford they really used to push for school, even if it meant some sort of delay.Like Kevin said though it's all about the lawsuits, people are so eager for money nowadays they look to sue at just about anything they can.

You can't blame them though for the structural thing, obviously this is very dangerous.

My personality is as cryptic as my scrambled username.

Vim Toot!

Mr. SnowVole, There is nothing cryptic about my personality. I'm simply a curmudgeon.

Saw some wing plow chat so I figured I'd wave these around:

180873_198929786790859_100000215188100_857534_1942829_n.jpg

No place left to push the banks back to. Time to widen the road.

167393_198930033457501_100000215188100_857536_4730288_n.jpg

Winging the freshly cut tops back.

181741_198930073457497_100000215188100_857537_7830672_n.jpg

And no, these were not taken this year.

Once you leave Vernon..I agree the plowing gets dicey..probably due to 2 things..less amount of plows up here..and the terrain. That hill in Tolland right after my exit is a notorious accident spot..and in fact was closed during the 16 inch snowstorm because it was impassable... they didn't open it until like noon that day after the snow stopped. In fact..I think that exact area is where Megan got into her accident wasn't it?

The DOT garage in Union does a better job than many districts, especially on state roads through towns. I can't speak of interstates, but I travel to Springfield, MA every day I can see a change in how the state roads are plowed beyond Somers. I've also seen the garage in Springfield do a poorer job on I-91 and state roads south of Springfield than CT, so I think it's a local thing. I can also tell you that the DOT garage in Union does in-fact have the plows with the wings because they use them after after every storm when there's enough snow on the side of the road.

In terms of terrain, I-84 is over 1,000' in Union and I think around 8-900' in Tolland. I don't think there is an interstate in central/eastern Mass. that high, but I could be wrong. I think I-90 is only like 8-900' in Warren though, so that may be a slight factor there. I'm wondering how I-90 is beyond Sturbridge?

My son-in-law, who is a roofer, has been in Mass. for about a week now helping. They're not sure when he'll be home. My daughter, and his 2 boys are severely missing him. He worked for a different roofing company in the summer and was only home on weekends and their 2 year old son wouldn't let go of his daddy the entire weekend.

Archived