joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Building roof collapses

Ginx snewx

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone with concerns of a roof collapse can call me. 860-424-6517.

Homeland Security sent out pages Monday with those concerns. Those storage units with sheet metal roofs are dropping like flies.

Important Message from the Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Division of Fire, Emergency and Building Services:

Current weather models are forecasting around 0.5 to 1.0 inches of liquid precipitation equivalent starting late today (Wednesday, January 26) and lasting through the evening and early morning hours of Thursday, January 27. This may add approximately 20% to 40% more weight to some roofs and decks that already have a deep snow pack resting on them. This extra weight may result in some roof or deck failures. If the rainfall increases, the failure risk may also increase significantly.

It is recommended that caution be exercised and roof and deck loads be monitored closely by appropriate personnel. People with concerns about their roof loads should contact their local building official or, in case of emergency, their local Fire Department.

DEMHS will continue to distribute regular weather updates and post the weather updates on www.ct.gov/demhs. END OF MESSAGE

We lost many old barns last winter after the very heavy wet snow in late February. In a way it was nature cleaning up man's mess. We have so many abandoned old barns in various states of decay across poverty stricken areas of Upstate NY...mostly west of the Hudson Valley corridor. So now they go back to nature...nobody will pick them. They will just rot and turn to mulch.

Heard of one in my town that housed sevral classic cars with a total value in the several hundred thousand. Now they are all low riders.

HI Guys,

I don't post much, more of a watcher and learner. This snow is nuts , I follw this fourm because I plow !

Way to many roofs in our local area are going down, I am in Meriden CT we are located just north of North Haven south of Hartford and have always been in the heavy bands of snow. Our total for the year by NWS reports is 63 " so far

Here are some links :

The 1st roof even fell before the last 12" storm !

http://www.myrecordj...1cc4c002e0.html

http://www.myrecordj...1cc4c03286.html

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/article_aa301af8-2ac9-11e0-ad54-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/winter_weather/building-collapses-reported

http://www.nbcconnec...-114708829.html

I've heard radio reports of others including a Boat yard .

Wow. Do you know what road that was on?

No - I just saw the article - I don't know where it was.

A friend of mine has a roof rake. Even though my house is only 5 years old and the pitch is fairly steep, I'm considering using it - if we get a nasty mess next week it could get more ugly than it already is.

LOL - Got it at Aubachan (sp?) in Putnam. Ordered a 21' rake. Should be here by the end of next week. I decided not to fight with the old ladies tomorrow morning for a rake that won't be long enough.

Wimp. You're afraid of old ladies :whistle:

Could be a frozen mass of ice by the end of next week.

No - I just saw the article - I don't know where it was.

A friend of mine has a roof rake. Even though my house is only 5 years old and the pitch is fairly steep, I'm considering using it - if we get a nasty mess next week it could get more ugly than it already is.

If your house is only 5yrs old then the roof is probably vented correctly (soffit/ridge vents). This should go a long way toward preventing any ice dams. A steep roof should have no trouble carrying the load. You'll probably just damage the roof shingles when you really didn't need to do anything.

If your house is only 5yrs old then the roof is probably vented correctly (soffit/ridge vents). This should go a long way toward preventing any ice dams. A steep roof should have no trouble carrying the load. You'll probably just damage the roof shingles when you really didn't need to do anything.

Yeah - I've already considered what you mentioned. I don't have ice dams (or 10' icicles that go with them) and I'm fairly confident that the roof structure can handle it. I should probably find something more constructive to do.

1140 AM HEAVY SNOW WINDHAM 41.70N 72.17W

02/01/2011 U0.0 INCH WINDHAM CT AMATEUR RADIO

BARN COLLAPSE ON NORTH ROAD. UNKNOWN IMPACT ON HORSES

INSIDE.

1150 AM HEAVY SNOW HOLLISTON 42.20N 71.43W

02/01/2011 U0.0 INCH MIDDLESEX MA FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

TOTAL ROOF COLLAPSE REPORTED ON LOWLAND STREET PER FIRE

DEPT. ALL PEOPLE ACCOUNTED FOR.

1153 AM HEAVY SNOW EAST LONGMEADOW 42.07N 72.52W

02/01/2011 U0.0 INCH HAMPDEN MA AMATEUR RADIO

ROOF COLLAPSE OF LUMBER STORAGE BLDG. ON NORTH MAIN

STREET. NO INJURIES.

0128 PM HEAVY SNOW ENFIELD 41.97N 72.57W

02/01/2011 U0.0 INCH HARTFORD CT AMATEUR RADIO

ROOF COLLAPSE ON PHOENIX AVE.

0328 PM HEAVY SNOW PAWTUCKET 41.87N 71.37W

02/01/2011 U0.0 INCH PROVIDENCE RI BROADCAST MEDIA

PARTIAL ROOF COLLAPSE ON MAIN STREET

0405 PM HEAVY SNOW WOBURN 42.49N 71.16W

02/01/2011 U0.0 INCH MIDDLESEX MA AMATEUR RADIO

ROOF COLLAPSE ON DRAGON COURT

Only going to get more with the precip tomorrow.

Our Structural Engineer has been a busy man taking phone calls from people nervous about potential roof collapses. He was the one called wrt to the Avon, MA collapse. Had to do with an addition placed onto an existing building at it was at a different height thus allowing the snow to drift up against it. Said that whoever added this on did not properly design the structure for this.

Also rumblings in our offices are that Walgreens is nervous about there stores in CT. They are investigating getting people up onto these stores to shovel them off.

Archived