• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Building roof collapses

Ginx snewx

That's insane but the school was dumb for not getting an estimate in the first place. If they were charging $110 an hour like the superintendent says...then 6 days of clearing with up to 90 people could easily add up. Add in some surcharges for equipment use and yeah...it makes sense. But the question is whether it really should've taken them 6 days and up to 90 workers.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's insane but the school was dumb for not getting an estimate in the first place. If they were charging $110 an hour like the superintendent says...then 6 days of clearing with up to 90 people could easily add up. Add in some surcharges for equipment use and yeah...it makes sense. But the question is whether it really should've taken them 6 days and up to 90 workers.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Town-Says-Contractor-Ripped-Them-Off-116191499.html

I did this story yesterday. I do know that some towns had some wild quotes for snow removal and most turned them down. For instance East Windsor got a quote for 330K just for their high school. They found a different contractor but the prices some towns were quoted varied wildly.

http://www.nbcconnec...-116191499.html

I did this story yesterday. I do know that some towns had some wild quotes for snow removal and most turned them down. For instance East Windsor got a quote for 330K just for their high school. They found a different contractor but the prices some towns were quoted varied wildly.

A few older women I snow plow for were telling me they both paid $1,500 to have a tree service company remove the snow off their standard size raised and split level ranches. One of them then paid another $900 to have the snow that was throw down from the roof removed and blown away from her house because she was concerned it would flood her basement when it melted. Sadly, many people were robbed because they panicked when the media told them the snow should be removed after airing building collapses or when they saw their neighbor's roof getting shoveled. Most fairly modern homes should take the snow weight, ice dam leaks are another story though...

There was a partial collapse of a Home Depot warehouse in Enfield Bloomfield last night: http://www.courant.c...0,4373241.story

Really surprises me these are still going on.

Really surprises me too. I have barn/shed that my grandfather built in the 1940's that is still standing and there isn't much structure to it. Makes me wonder what are they building roofs with now? The shed shouldn't be there but it is and the structures that are collapsing should still be there!

We did a fe roofs and only charged the most $300 then I hear stories of people paying those big time prices of close to $1000

I have seen some of these crews or so called crews there up there having a good old time and not doing much work.

the overtime charges can be crazy if there going 24x7 but a new roof is a lot also

you right we saw a old building that should be falling down by the wind and it's still standing with all the snow on it

If anyone needs their roof shoveled, I will beat that price by 10%. For $99/hour (cash) your roof worries will be over. I don't do skylight windows.

Or you could fly jeb up and feed him a light lunch.

:snowman:

Really surprises me too. I have barn/shed that my grandfather built in the 1940's that is still standing and there isn't much structure to it. Makes me wonder what are they building roofs with now? The shed shouldn't be there but it is and the structures that are collapsing should still be there!

300+ old AG building collapsed not a question of what but how

• 2 weeks later...

We have a guy working at our condo, saying his 31' by 14' deck got ripped off his house a couple of weeks ago. That's why you shovel the deck off.

had that happen before 45x14 almost took the pool out, it was crazy but in the end it all worked out.

The old New England barns have character, but after a while it becomes a hazard and an eye sore. Probably good it came down when it did, and not on some kids playing near it.

Lame. Sure, they can become a hazard and need maintenance but an eye sore? We're daily losing our cultural history and every piece that goes by the boards is a shame. Even a run-down old hay barn is far more attractive than pretty much anything built today. Meh, city-folk. dry.gif

Lame. Sure, they can become a hazard and need maintenance but an eye sore? We're daily losing our cultural history and every piece that goes by the boards is a shame. Even a run-down old hay barn is far more attractive than pretty much anything built today. Meh, city-folk. dry.gif

A crooked old barn ready to fall looks attractive?

I love old New England houses, architecture, etc. but those old dilapidated barns look like a scene from Deliverance.

Archived