joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Obs and Banter

moneypitmike

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jsut so you know... the blades went on on Monday, and it will start spinning later this week as they run diagnostic tests. So, it's up, but not spinning right now. (don't want to dissapoint!)

Thanks for the warning! lol

EDIT at 7:00a.m.

Just got in from the morning walk. Pond ice requires a strong 'push' to break through. Slush had formed along the edge of one of the slower exit streams.

21.7/10 on the hill attm., 19.4 when I checked at the base.

jsut so you know... the blades went on on Monday, and it will start spinning later this week as they run diagnostic tests. So, it's up, but not spinning right now. (don't want to dissapoint!)

Of course, you could always take a drive up the back and see it up close! Well... not too close, but pretty damn close.

That's awesome. I hope to get out there once or twice this year. They are building some at the local community college over in Gardner, Narragansett HS in Templeton has a monster one, and the back of Wa Wa has 2 owned by Princeton Muni Light

That's awesome. I hope to get out there once or twice this year. They are building some at the local community college over in Gardner, Narragansett HS in Templeton has a monster one, and the back of Wa Wa has 2 owned by Princeton Muni Light

Then there's the one in Worcester near Holy Name (?) that you can see when you drive into town. I think the school owns it and sells back electricity to the city.

got down to 16.6 this AM. looks almost like a mid-minter morning with a coating of snow on the ground ;)

I thought the same thing when I walked the dog this morning. All the lawns were still white and it was damn cold. 23/14.

Greenfield actually sanded last night because the wet pavement flash froze. The skies cleared almost immediately after the snow ended in the evening and bang - black ice.

Beaver pond out back is completely skimmed over with ice.

I honestly don't know. We're ready to go, but are waiting for sustained cold. I would ASSUME that we start blowing later this week, but you know what they say about assuming....

There was a pretty good coating there yesterday afternoon when I left shortly after 4... If it hasn't completely blown away, I'm tempted to hike and ski some rocks, grass, weeds, and snow. Just for laughs, of course!

BTW have you seen our Wind Turbine yet? You can see it well before Crab Apple, which is NUTS!

All of this is awesome... I didn't know you guys down there had a Wind Turbine. That's sick and I wish more areas would try to install them. Bolton Valley is the only ski area up this way with one.

Wow, that's great to hear! ...it takes sooooo much money to make snow, that it's a shame to make snow just for it to melt! I'm certain that they've lost SOME, but good to hear that they're building up a solid base.

Here's hoping that the Dec 4-5 storm works out!

That's the understatement of the year, haha. On Friday morning when I rolled into Mountain Ops around 5:30am it was 29F at 3,600ft, 24F at 2,500ft, and 28F at 1,500ft base... after talking with the snowmaking controller I couldn't believe we were still fired up all around the resort as it was raining (ZR) at that point. We usually shut down with a wet-bulb of 27F and it was right at that mark but the cold pocket at mid-mtn was allowing them to run in that zone a bit more. However, with the ZR on-going and latent heat release, we warmed quickly to near 30-31F at all elevations and then it was a scramble to shut 'er down. Our VP of Operations came in and mentioned to me that we should've stopped around 3am and that we were hemorrhaging money... the amount of money he estimated we spent trying to produce mank for 4 hours at those temps was simply mind-blowing.

Wow, that's great to hear! ...it takes sooooo much money to make snow, that it's a shame to make snow just for it to melt! I'm certain that they've lost SOME, but good to hear that they're building up a solid base.

Here's hoping that the Dec 4-5 storm works out!

Wind turbine movie thingy for you guys at the B'East

Archived