• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bleeding snow"

"Heavy sheets moving sideways"

"Thunder and lightning"

"Crash... tree branch just came down"

Quotes from DC area thread!!!

Philly area forecasters going for 10-15.

What a wild storm... a Nowcast storm if there ever was one, as GFS / NAM seem to be flopping all over the place. Perhaps due to the intense convective activity in the MD/VA/DE area?

I have a feeling we have an exciting night in store guitar.gif

quote name='cpickett79' timestamp='1296083053' post='373177']

RED FLAG

now i know everyone gets upset when this is pointed out . human nature. but another red flag was box shifting totals SE....they saw something that led them to do this. It's now cast. and ML center movement is key. Coastalwx do you verify what messenger said about the ML's ....answer it imagining you won't have to answer 30 other questions if you agree. lol i mean the ML's closing off and the track is the key for us right.

looked this has been progged to roll East for a while as it consolidates, closed off then pivot NE. I do not understand why he thinks that is a surprise or not modelled. IDK believe what you want but watch the shindig unfold.

What kind of winds are we looking at down here in SE MA, CC, Islands?

I haven't been able to read much in the past few hours but I did see Phil mention the potential looking at the 18z NAM.

Haven't watched them closely but the CT coast could see 30-40MPH tonight so I'm guessing it'll rip there.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...

MODELS REACHING FINAL CONVERGENCE ON SCENARIO FOR WINTER STORM

OVERNIGHT. WAA BAND OF PRECIP IS WEAKENING AND SHIFTING E AT THIS

TIME PER LATEST RAD IMG. WV IMG SUGGESTING STRONG JET WRAPPING

INTO PRIMARY UPPER LOW OVER W VIRGINIA AND EXPECT THIS TO ALLOW

STRONG CYCLOGENESIS AS THE SFC LOW CROSSES THE COAST. DUE TO THE

DYNAMIC CHANGE...EXPECT A SHORT LIVED LULL THIS EVENING IN

STRATIFORM -SN BEFORE INCREASE IN DEFORMATION BANDING LATER

TONIGHT AS THE LOW PASSES S OF THE CAPE AND ISLANDS. LATEST

GUIDANCE SUGGESTING THAT THIS BANDING WILL LIE OVER SE MASS AND

THE S COAST...SO EXPECTING THE HIGHEST TOTALS IN THIS REGION. THE

PASSAGE OF THE LOW WILL BE QUICK IN RESPONSE TO DIGGING TROF INTO

OH RIVER VALLEY. THEREFORE...SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO DIMINISH

QUICKLY TOWARDS THE MORNING HOURS. USED A BLEND OF LATEST GFS AND

HPC FOR QPF AND BASED SNOW TOTALS OFF OF TEMPS AND A 10 TO 1

RATIO.

BESIDES SNOW...WINDS WILL BE AN ISSUE ACROSS EXPOSED PORTIONS OF

THE S COAST...ISLANDS AND THE CAPE ESPECIALLY. WHILE THE LLJ IS

EXPECTED TO CROSS THIS REGION BEGINNING JUST BEFORE MIDNIGHT...

BOUNDARY LAYER INSTABILITY WILL INCREASE DURING THE EARLY MORNING

HOURS ALLOWING FOR THE BEST MIXING TO OCCUR THEN. ONLY AREA WHERE

THIS IS NOT COVERED BY A WINTER STORM WARNING IS NANTUCKET ISLAND

WHICH WAS RAISED TO A WIND ADVISORY EARLIER TODAY TO COVER THESE

HIGH WINDS.

FOR COASTAL FLOOD ISSUES...SEE COASTAL FLOOD SECTION BELOW.

From the other thread...LOL, yeah OK.

I have basically stayed light snow here, some IP.

it's a huge red flag to me that: 1) best dynamics are being established in the delmarva/snj, 2) the sharp cutoff gradient is progressing southeast thru PA, well south of us and 3) no heavy precipitation worked its way north of the RI/CT - MA border in round 1. Also, visually, the bowling bowl is rolling east or just slightly north of east...i am having a hard time picturing it getting picked up and slamming hard into any but the most southern and eastern portions of NE (with perhaps the exception of southern CT as well). Sorry, this is just how I see it from a nowcast perspective, no matter what the models are spitting out.

will or scott , is there anything that leads you to believe the 5h low could capture this or is that off the table?

Its not going to track close enough and its hauling azz getting the boot from the kicker upstream....its going to be a fast mover. Should be pretty intense though for several hours.

quote name='Ginx' timestamp='1296083424' post='373254'

RED FLAG

now i know everyone gets upset when this is pointed out . human nature. but another red flag was box shifting totals SE....they saw something that led them to do this. It's now cast. and ML center movement is key. Coastalwx do you verify what messenger said about the ML's ....answer it imagining you won't have to answer 30 other questions if you agree. lol i mean the ML's closing off and the track is the key for us right.

looked this has been progged to roll East for a while as it consolidates, closed off then pivot NE. I do not understand why he thinks that is a surprise or not modelled. IDK believe what you want but watch the shindig unfold.

Did I say it was a surprise? It's an obs thread, as usual everyone has their panties in a bunch if any comment can be misconstrued as taking away their snow

--- the thread was locked/so it's muffed up the reply/quote/blocked it.

cpicket- Well it's supposed to be wandering ENE eventually, it's a powerhouse so wobbles are normal. But they can be critical later. I don't know why BOX shifted SE, I'm actually really, really worried about the temp spike right now. That's why I haven't come off the 4-8 here, but thankful as all heck I don't have to put out a forecast like the poor tv guys/noaa. It's a tough tough call. The RUC? It would rain over a lot of eastern MA in the jackpot areas first

='40/70 Benchmark' - The truth may be right over your house.

Basinbaker' This keeps up warmth may be an issue. I'm getting concerned.

Here is GFS 6 Hour prog and current Meso analysis

It has to turn NOW to end up at the 6h GFS forecast point.

The 2 hour RUC forecast from 22 has the 540 cutting across the DE border, right where the 12z GFS had it. A decent tick south of where the 18z GFS had it. To my eye it looks more south than the 18z GFS forecast...through the 545 panel.

From the maps you posted it would have to turn almost hard NE right now to get to the GFS position. Does it matter who knows...but just pointing it out. From the maps you posted, look at the 540/5400...in 2 hours it has to come a long way NE to meet that position. It may be happening and we may see that in subsequent WV passes, but it's a curiousity to me.

RED FLAG

Did I say it was a surprise? It's an obs thread, as usual everyone has their panties in a bunch if any comment can be misconstrued as taking away their snow

cpicket- Well it's supposed to be wandering ENE eventually, it's a powerhouse so wobbles are normal. But they can be critical later. I don't know why BOX shifted SE, I'm actually really, really worried about the temp spike right now. That's why I haven't come off the 4-8 here, but thankful as all heck I don't have to put out a forecast like the poor tv guys/noaa. It's a tough tough call. The RUC? It would rain over a lot of eastern MA in the jackpot areas first

The temps are moving really well in line with the 18z products. We should hold in this funky temp area until midnight. That's been really well modeled for the last 24 hrs

"Bleeding snow"

"Heavy sheets moving sideways"

"Thunder and lightning"

"Crash... tree branch just came down"

Quotes from DC area thread!!!

Philly area forecasters going for 10-15.

What a wild storm... a Nowcast storm if there ever was one, as GFS / NAM seem to be flopping all over the place. Perhaps due to the intense convective activity in the MD/VA/DE area?

I have a feeling we have an exciting night in store guitar.gif

wasting the best dynamics on the mid-atlantic FTL :thumbsdown:

It will congeal and that stuff to the sw will blossom ne.

5h is forecast to rapidly deepen expanding its northern extent of circulation...that's one of the reasons we are seeing a big bump NW in qpf...not necessarily tracking that much closer, but rapidly intensifying and its circulation extends further northwest. Its able to rip the winds in the 5h level more from the S and SSE....this is for those wondering what the more recent RUC runs are doing and the 18z runs.

Compare the 18z gfs to 12z gfs at 06z...you'll see how the 534 closed height line is larger.

RED FLAG

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Archived