joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco/Obs - Gametime

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should someone call Matt Noyes after last night, or is he probably geeking out already?

I haven't been able to follow along the past few days due to travel but recall Barry Burbank getting laughed off this board a few days ago for calling this a 3-6" boston N+W instead of 2-3Feet. Was Noyes calling for a blockbuster? I recall seeing some crazy numbers of 18" + on here just yesterday. Burbank is still sticking to 3-6".

The HRRR version of the RUC...and to some extend the RUC too seems to be focusing on redeveloping precip over sne later today. It brings this current batch of snow down by NYC out to the east, but then redevelopment occurs overhead and begins to connect with the stuff forming from the ULL in the MA. You can see this here.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr:&runTime=2011012613&plotName=1ref_t3sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields&maxFcstLen=15&resizePlot=1&domain=t3&wjet=1

Normally I would too, but it actually was the only model to get it right this morning to our SW.

This afternoon's potential not withstanding, I think you'll be fine in BOS for this storm. I'm a lot more worried where I am...could see 3-5" while 15 miles SE of me sees 10"

Confession: There is an added anxiety for me, as I have unintentionally established myself as the forecaster for my entire company. In particular, the CFO leans on me directly for forecasts so he can get an idea of whether to have a delayed opening or cancellation. He has already dropped by my desk this morning to express his disappointment in my forecast for 5-10 because "Burbank is only calling for four inches."

Even though I've been rock solid with what I've given him so far this winter, he's the type wherein a single perceived bust will destroy all credibility.

And boy, would I like to rub eight inches in his face.

I haven't been able to follow along the past few days due to travel but recall Barry Burbank getting laughed off this board a few days ago for calling this a 3-6" boston N+W instead of 2-3Feet. Was Noyes calling for a blockbuster? I recall seeing some crazy numbers of 18" + on here just yesterday. Burbank is still sticking to 3-6".

LOL...going to be some interesting replays.

--

Scott...RGEM hands down has been the best. It's been rock steady FTMP (ie always had western/NW MA in the scratch zone, heaviest SE). Others not so much.

592_100.gif

The HRRR version of the RUC...and to some extend the RUC too seems to be focusing on redeveloping precip over sne later today. It brings this current batch of snow down by NYC out to the east, but then redevelopment occurs overhead and begins to connect with the stuff forming from the ULL in the MA. You can see this here.

http://rapidrefresh....omain=t3&wjet=1

Yeah after 21z it does it like the regular RUC does.

What I wouldn't give to have that 15h forecast verify, lol. :lol:

Noyes stuck with heavy heavy snows for the region with a pretty broad area of 12" - many watched his live online feed as the disastrous 0z models rolled in. He looked nervous but stuck with his call - he was banging the RUC back then cause it was the only model that supported his expectations haha. Looks like sticking to his guns might work out for much of the area except for a bust on the NW side of his forecast. Too early to say though, this storm is already pushing further NW than almost all of the models.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrrconus/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr:&runTime=2011012613&plotName=1ref_t3sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields&maxFcstLen=15&resizePlot=1&domain=t3&wjet=1

Lmao that death band would drop 15"

LOL, check out the banding that sets up at the end of the run. Take that fwiw, but the potential is there.

Do you have sun breaking through up at your house Mike? 'Tis here. Still hoping we pull of a few inches but one thing models have been consistent on is the sharp cut off.

I could see S. Orh co. getting 5-10" while up near Dave in Hubbarston there is only 4".

We shall see...

et tu Brute?

I'm thinking 5" for me, but would not be surprised with an inch in either direction...

Maybe 6" here at work in Leominster if a couple of big flakes stand on end

Congrats messenger (gave him props last night, ya know!)

I think that's exactly how it's going to play out in terms of the first pulse slipping out, residual moisture being acted upon as the second part wraps into the region. HRRR is probably too far NW with part two, but we'll see how that goes.

Confession: There is an added anxiety for me, as I have unintentionally established myself as the forecaster for my entire company. In particular, the CFO leans on me directly for forecasts so he can get an idea of whether to have a delayed opening or cancellation. He has already dropped by my desk this morning to express his disappointment in my forecast for 5-10 because "Burbank is only calling for four inches."

Even though I've been rock solid with what I've given him so far this winter, he's the type wherein a single perceived bust will destroy all credibility.

And boy, would I like to rub eight inches in his face.

is he hawt?

you goin to the GTG?

Noyes stuck with heavy heavy snows for the region with a pretty broad area of 12" - many watched his live online feed as the disastrous 0z models rolled in. He looked nervous but stuck with his call - he was banging the RUC back then cause it was the only model that supported his expectations haha. Looks like sticking to his guns might work out for much of the area except for a bust on the NW side of his forecast. Too early to say though, this storm is already pushing further NW than almost all of the models.

keep pushing NW that's all I want. 6" out of this for my area would be a nice surprise.

watching the dec storm last year here in spfd was really depressing and unless something changes this one will be well beyond devastating..

why doesnt some one just say it.. hartford might get a half foot and springfield a dustiing or heavy heavy virga

its not an epic winter everywhere in sne when stuff like this happens!!!

I think for now drying is winning the race, RUC excitement somewhat cancel: http://radar.weather...id=okx&loop=yes

Can see up in NW CT some drying working east. Can see the same on the water vapor....from middletown to torrington (NY to CT) it just got dryer.

http://www.rap.ucar....e=-1&duration=6

Going to be a squeaker along coastal sections and we may have a rogue band break loose further north but ...

Down by philly you can begin to see the start of phase 2.

Archived