joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it thundersnow everywhere except Dale City? I have never experienced it in my life unfortunately. And everyone now is saying it's at their house.

JEB....pay attention! Any thunder back in Dale City? lol

Was the first time I remember experiencing it. My 8 year old was really confused how it could thunder/lightning and snow. :thumbsup:

MDZ004-009-VAZ042-052-053-501-270100-

FREDERICK MD-MONTGOMERY-LOUDOUN-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-

552 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

.NOW...

A BAND OF VERY HEAVY SNOW WAS DEVELOPING ACROSS EXTREME SOUTHWEST

FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND...WESTERN LOUDOUN COUNTY VIRGINIA AND

NORTHERN FAUQUIER COUNTY JUST EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE AT 545 PM.

THIS BAND OF VERY HEAVY SNOW WILL MOVE TO THE EAST ACROSS EXTREME

SOUTHERN FREDERICK...LOUDOUN AND NORTHERN FAUQUIER COUNTIES

THROUGH 7 PM. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES WITHIN ONE HOUR CAN

BE EXPECTED WITH THIS BAND. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO LESS

THAN 1/4 MILE...WITH WHITE OUT CONDITIONS POSSIBLE IN SOME

LOCATIONS.

Does it thundersnow everywhere except Dale City? I have never experienced it in my life unfortunately. And everyone now is saying it's at their house.

JEB....pay attention! Any thunder back in Dale City? lol

I have super hearing - my entire life is a disastah becuase of that - but nary a roll of thunder in Dale City that I could hear.

I'm venturing out now for the drive home from Baltimore to western Howard County. Wish me luck......:scooter:

MDstorm

Made it home in 1 hour 35 minutes. Not bad for a 30 mile trip in blinding snow. I-70 was terrible. The east bound lanes were being plowed, but that didn't do me a bit of good traveling westbound. Many cars and trucks had pulled off of the road. Visibility was literally a few yards. I've never driven in such bad conditions and I'm almost as old as Mitchnick. :o

MDstorm

This is just intense. Concussive snow for the past hour and a half; I was out sledding with my daughter and the snow was unrelenting. I don't think it was quite as heavy as it was last February, but it's close. We came back, close by one of the towering transmission towers in this part of DC, and lightning struck the one close by. I thought I could smell the ozone. (My daughter, who was justifiably terrified as we ran back toward our house, looked at her papa laughing, and probably thought I was crazy; the funny thing is, if this had been a summer thunderstorm, I'd probably have been a little rattled too.) Or maybe the smell was the exhaust from all the cars. Wisconsin Ave is locked up in both directions, bumper-to-bumper up Tenley hill and down through Friendship Heights. I've never seen Wisconsin Avenue like that, and I've never smelled exhaust as pervasively in my neighborhood. The cacophony of sirens and horns is something else as well; it just adds to the sense of disorder. Three or four inches accumulation, I'd suppose, but I'll remember this storm not for its depth, but for the havoc it's raising.

I see that LWX downgraded the forecast accums in the DC area (6-10 to 4-8), but I would have to disagree with that move. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in the DC metro & NW suburbs top out in the 8-12" range, maybe some spots higher.

Don't worry they dropped the NW burbs down to 3-6". We already have 4" of new snow and 5.5"-6" for the day. Fail.

I see that LWX downgraded the forecast accums in the DC area (6-10 to 4-8), but I would have to disagree with that move. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in the DC metro & NW suburbs top out in the 8-12" range, maybe some spots higher.

Problem is that this thing is bookin it. Moving to fast. Unless you think we get some backbuilding?

I love the new snow light (lamp post).

And goddamn is the wind blowing!

<3

Archived