• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
talk about tv/lwx/other mets here regarding the storm or whatever else you think of

real

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't believe it when I heard Tom T say 1-3" for the region. Sorry...can't pull the excuse that the models changed overnight tonight when he has to up totals to 6-12" tomorrow. The models have been hitting on more than 3" for the Baltimore region for 24 hours or more.

Couldn't believe it when I heard Tom T say 1-3" for the region. Sorry...can't pull the excuse that the models changed overnight tonight when he has to up totals to 6-12" tomorrow. The models have been hitting on more than 3" for the Baltimore region for 24 hours or more.

Violently agree. I heard it in the car and turned the radio off, heard it again on TV and just shocked. He is going to crash and burn if he doesn't change his tune by 11pm.

I usually trust Tasselmyer but I am truly shocked by his 1-3" call. Maybe he thinks surface temps will be too warm? There is no other reason why we can't get more.

I'm glad you said something because I know I'm being a total weenie over this.

I never watch tv weather, but tonight I thought it would be fun just to hear all pandemonium with regards to the possibilities for tomorrow evening's rush hour when the heaviest snow gets in here. But to not even mention the possibility of just how bad it may be?

His map showed total snow of less than one inch for south Baltimore city, on a curved line west/southwest to include almost all of Howard and Montgomery counties. And 1 to 3 inches from that line north including Carroll and Frederick Baltimore counties to nearly the PA border. Wow.

The event hasn't happened yet--but if these "TV Weathercaster" fail--which they likely will with their atrocious "all rain" forecasts as late as last night--they need to be fired. Simple as that. I will be interested in hearing the explanations they come up with.

Last night hell.....several are still going that route as of the this evenings news. Like I said....serious safety concerns IMO.

Crazy thing was Tom T. (who I believe is actually a met)....is typically VERY bullish.....was one of the ones singing the rain/mix tune. Basically all rain/mix from him even here 50mi NW of the cities until evening. He gained a fair bit of respect last winter for really going out on limb very early with huge accumulations when no one else was anywhere close.

The event hasn't happened yet--but if these "TV Weathercaster" fail--which they likely will with their atrocious "all rain" forecasts as late as last night--they need to be fired. Simple as that. I will be interested in hearing the explanations they come up with.

Amen to that, especially with the potential for such heavy snowfall rates right around the evening commute.

In my opinion all these "mets" ( and I use that term loosely) are in some sort of shell shock.

Last year, they were able to call every storm a major hit.....

This year, every call about a major storm was an epic failure....how many times have I seen 6+ only to see maybe an inch.

You have to imagine the next day at the office with all these busts....."Nice call Bob....my kid could barely ride his big wheel over all that snow"

So now, when every model agrees about a really nice hit, and the temps are now coming in cooler than progged they are still worried about being called out....

It would be Hilarious if it wasn't so sad...

The truly crappy part is many people rely on the prior days evening news for weather, etc. They are often in bed before the evening news and miss the morning news. Even if they change their tune....and they will....many have missed the pending issues before setting off for the day. Even flurries in the air have people careening off 270, 70, 495, and 695 at record levels. Snow rates of 2" per hour will have people abandoning cars and turning cannibal on the side of the road.

I'm down in the Lynchburg/Roanoke Market-- Sean Sublette from WSET has an MA from PSU. He does an excellent job.

Doesn't surprise me. When the breakdown comes of which TV forecaster failed and which didn't--it will likely be skewed favorably in terms of the ones who have a degree and understand meteorological processes. Whatever cracked out "futurecast" these other weathercasters are using needs to be tossed into the bin immediately.

agree, Tom is usually more model savvy than this. It gave me pause to wonder if our higher expectations are just that, too high. But after what I have been seeing on here all day I don't think "we" are wrong.

Here is Link to what Fox 5 in DC is showing. 1 to 2 inches?? She's the worse, Sue Palka. Last year, she was the one who went on and on for days leading up to Feb. 6 cautioning against not believing "what you read on the Internet" . She was saying less than a foot right up until the night before the storm, and even maybe till Friday morning.

She then went on the air 10 p.m. Friday, during 2 to 3 inch an hour rates rates and explosive convection showing up on radar off North Carolina, shell shocked and stunned like a scare rabbit and couldn't even must complete sentences about how she underestimated storm.

With that said, Wes and Wash Post capital weather going "3 to 6 +" immediate DC and "4 to 8 +"for all suburbs. If that turns out to be right, major, major kudos to the gang.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/weather/snow-and-sleet-to-begin-early-wednesday-morning-in-washington-dc-maryland-and-virginia-012511

Here is Link to what Fox 5 in DC is showing. 1 to 2 inches?? She's the worse, Sue Palka. Last year, she was the one who went on and on for days leading up to Feb. 6 cautioning against not believing "what you read on the Internet" . She was saying less than a foot right up until the night before the storm, and even maybe till Friday morning.

She then went on the air 10 p.m. Friday, during 2 to 3 inch an hour rates rates and explosive convection showing up on radar off North Carolina, shell shocked and stunned like a scare rabbit and couldn't even must complete sentences about how she underestimated storm.

With that said, Wes and Wash Post capital weather going "3 to 6 +" immediate DC and "4 to 8 +"for all suburbs. If that turns out to be right, major, major kudos to the gang.

http://www.myfoxdc.c...virginia-012511

"Some thunder and lightning is what we are seeing there--and that may throw some BIG moisture into the cold air", UGHaxesmiley.pngaxesmiley.pngaxesmiley.pnghotdog.gifhotdog.gifhotdog.gifhotdog.gif

This is why, as a met, I never watch these weathercasters make a mockery of meteorology. That video was painful.

To her credit--she at least mentions it will likely by the "biggest snowfall this winter".

agree, Tom is usually more model savvy than this. It gave me pause to wonder if our higher expectations are just that, too high. But after what I have been seeing on here all day I don't think "we" are wrong.

No, he did show the map with all the WSW/WWAs in the region (at least the part I saw around 5:30).

He really is a good met, definitely the best in the Baltimore area and actually the best I've seen in any of the places I've lived. But I don't know what he's thinking on this one.

NOTE TO EVERYONE!!: When your non-weenie friends are surprised we get heavy snow tomorrow and make the obligatory insult against meteorologists, this is what you will say:

"Did you have a Winter Storm Warning? And you knew about it? ...then what's your problem?"

NOTE TO EVERYONE!!: When your non-weenie friends are surprised we get heavy snow tomorrow and make the obligatory insult against meteorologists, this is what you will say:

"Did you have a Winter Storm Warning? And you knew about it? ...then what's your problem?"

Well said! I don't know why everyone is up in arms.. who cares if the TV outlets aren't stating it's potential.. you already have the inside scoop and you're prepared.. I don't get it

http://www.myfoxdc.c...virginia-012511

Wow, what a fool :rolleyes:

Actually I think Justin Berk is the best and you can tell he actually loves and gets excited about weather ...

Haven't seen Justin post on the boards lately, he always has been able to break things down easily for anyone to understand. I STILL can't understand Tom T.'s call of 1-3" and downplaying the storm. Unless they are seeing something, and know something that "we" don't of course.

Archived