Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 2-4 Storm

CarolinaCrusher2000

Cheez,

You think it's unlikely the system gets delayed? I'm not sure I'd put much stock in any model solution at this point, given the fact that they were routinely hundreds of miles apart with each other (and sometimes with their own previous runs) with the last storm.

The Euro ensembles have been pretty steady with either a Lakes cutter or an Apps runner, the Ukie has been steady with a Lakes cutter, the CMC, which previously was suppressed now has a Lakes cutter. This far out technically anything is possible but given the state of the NAO and given what happened with the last storm, I an firmly in my Debbie Downer mode for this one.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the way the trough and setup is aligned. Its happened before. Right now I'm favoring west of the Apps for a good hit from a Winter storm. Low level cold should have no problem west of us bleeding down, but east of the Apps different story, unless the northern trough gets here much earlier, or the SW system arrives later. I don't see much chance with a Lakes Cutter on this.

CAD, west of the apps style.

The Euro ensembles have been pretty steady with either a Lakes cutter or an Apps runner, the Ukie has been steady with a Lakes cutter, the CMC, which previously was suppressed now has a Lakes cutter. This far out technically anything is possible but given the state of the NAO and given what happened with the last storm, I an firmly in my Debbie Downer mode for this one.

Unfortunately, even for here (KRTI) I agree.

I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility for the southern system to be delayed. As usual, we're 7 days away from this arriving in the SE. The timing of these features WILL change. I don't think a Lakes cutter is more likely than a non-Lakes cutter, although an inland track/Miller B is solidly on the table. Shift the whole pattern just a bit east and we're in really good shape. Not an impossible task from 7 days out.

Yeah if I remember correctly pretty much every southern system this winter has trended slower, Some significantly. We saw how this greatly affected our last storm's outcome. There is a slim chance this storm system is gonna be nailed, as far as timing, this far out. I say the odds that it comes in slower outweigh the odds that it comes in faster. We have plenty of time to watch this develop, so no one should come in here saying all rain for GA/SC/NC just yet imo. I can see where Cheez's Debbie Downer mood is coming from though. :P

Will wait for the Euro ensembles but my thinking is that they will be more in a Lakes cutter mode than the op. If so, except perhaps western TN- this is going to be just rain, sorry, Cold behind it, yes. But very little to no chance of snow for almost all on this board.

yep - lakes cutter is the certain kiss of death for almost all of us

This storm manages to hit everyone except nc/sc/ga.

of course it does. sigh. watch this one verify from this far out with no shifts at all lol

We just can't get any snow around here anymore in February.

Well if history holds correct, this storm wont pan out since the first week of February has historically not been good, hence the other thread started, not that we dont get snow in February.

http://www.americanw...-snows-in-gasc/

But hey, maybe this will be a reversal, the last storm blew up in to a huge snowstorm and was a big icestorm this far out, then was an epic fail, so maybe we can get the opposite luck this time. But Im not holding my breath.

I think that this storm needs to be watched closely to notice trends in the models. If this storm slows by 12-24 hours, this could be a different set-up for those living on the east side of the Apps. As we have scene this year, the models are not doing a good job handling storms this far out. If this storm trends slower middle/late next week, it could be a major deal for the east coast.

I hear you, and I don't blame you for being in DD mode. I'm not going to throw in the towel yet though. When the modeling shows a SE winter storm at 144 (ensembles included) time after time, only to have it not pan out, I refuse to trust that their depiction of a Lakes cutter is going to yield more accuracy at the same time frame. I'm still somewhat optimistic as it wouldn't take much of a shift in timing to change things substantially for the better...and that is well within the possibility envelope at this point. We're not talking about a total pattern shift...just modulating a few key details.

I'm glad to see the old Cheez is back. I was starting to wonder if you had turned into a real weenie. I now realize it was just a good stretch of winter weather.

I don't know what happened in Brick's neighborhood last February but I got as much snow as the previous 5 years combined that month.

The 12z Euro looked almost like the 0z Ensemble mean of the Euro last night. (Not sure about the 12z Euro ensembles..) The further east you go on the warmer the storm is unfortunately for those that want wintry precip. The UKMET, and GGEM cut the storm because both models phase a northern stream short wave into the southern stream wave.. and the result cuts it into the lakes. The GFS and the Euro do not do this. JMA is more inline with GFS and Euro but the arctic front is slower to arrive so the overall result is further north than the Euro.

So as far as "type" of scenarios go.

Euro then GFS then JMA as far as a general wsw to ene moving low with orientation with the northern extent depending on how fast the arctic front moves in. Euro as coldest of these solutions... JMA the warmest.

UKMET/GGEM with a phased cutter.

There are a lot of things (in the pattern) that currently go against us getting a winter event. But there is one good thing; we have snow cover to the north in the mid-atlantic and NE. If a CAD sets up this would help enhance the cold air feed more than the models would currently show.

I'm sure lookout is about to comment on this but...have heard this a million times and it never actually verifies for us.

I have to leave soon, but at 132 this is similar to its other run, maybe further south. Its going to come down to timing of the arctic front and where it drapes. I'm favoring APPs west with the low level and upper cold, and overrunning begins around Tuesday. Snow and ice for much of Texas interior, Ark, Tenn, n. Miss. Certainly no Lakes cutter, as I sort of suspectd with such strong artic high in the Plains. Could be a heck of a ice and snow event west of the Apps, even deep into Ala, Ga, La, Tex, Ark.

I agree, this also definitely has potential CAD wise. That high over the plains can easily cause some wedging down the apps before this system comes in wed/thurs. Should be interesting to watch the trend.

The 12z Euro looked almost like the 0z Ensemble mean of the Euro last night. (Not sure about the 12z Euro ensembles..) The further east you go on the warmer the storm is unfortunately for those that want wintry precip. The UKMET, and GGEM cut the storm because both models phase a northern stream short wave into the southern stream wave.. and the result cuts it into the lakes. The GFS and the Euro do not do this. JMA is more inline with GFS and Euro but the arctic front is slower to arrive so the overall result is further north than the Euro.

Euro then GFS then JMA as far as a general wsw to ene moving low with orientation with the northern extent depending on how fast the arctic front moves in. Euro as coldest of these solutions... JMA the warmest.

Yep 12z was the dreaded cold chasing the rain away.

A pretty fair number of the 12Z Euro ensemble\ members have the look of the GGEM/UKMET- at 144 the mean surface pattern has a low over eastern TN moving NE- moving up just west or over the Apps. Not good for snow at all.

A pretty fair number of the 12Z Euro ensemble\ members have the look of the GGEM/UKMET- at 144 the mean surface pattern has a low over eastern TN moving NE- moving up just west or over the Apps. Not good for snow at all.

Do many of them phase? Or is this a low that forms and rides the arctic boundry? Thanks.

12z Euro Op is not far from the 01/22/87 storm that I referenced in this tread yesterday. Problem is, we need this thing in friggin Key Largo on the models right now in order for it to end up in N FL. Euro yields 0.55 QPF of snow for Nashville.

As others have mentioned, we need the northern wave going through the Great Lakes to move on into the NE and drag cold air in behind it, and ahead of our wave in Texas

I hope it slows 12 to 24 hours so that the Arctic High can get in a favorable position. These systems where the cold is chasing the moisture doesn't pan out to well around here. Maybe if the high latitude warming creates blocking in the right place, it can extend winter longer with many more chances to come.

Carolina Crusher used to be the name of a monster truck.

Do many of them phase? Or is this a low that forms and rides the arctic boundry? Thanks.

Hard to tell with the maps I look at- this will be a close call but really only between a total phase like the GGEM and UKMET have, or a partial phase as shown on the ensemble mean- the latter holds out hope for central/western TN and maybe northern MS. I still see little to no chance for GA/AL/SC and probably NC

Archived