• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb 2-4 Storm

CarolinaCrusher2000

At 120, theres a 1036 high in NY and a 1036 in the Plains. The overrunning begins quickly, and aloft it phases the northwest system and southwest system partially, otherwise allows confluent flow in the Northeast and Lakes . It doesn't bring the first northern stream through here in tact first. With the PV so far north, it opens the door to an eastern Lakes runner.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS off and running...at 96 hours a pronounced CAD signature developing with high pressure extending all the way back to the Northern Plains. Light patches of precip all across the southern tier at that time frame but no low development yet at 96...I like the looks of this.

Something to watch and Ive seen it before in big cold outbreaks over the centrail plains is a banna HP. Where you get a transition piece or HP to extend break off the parent High and sneak a back door down the east side of the apps. This air is very cold and shallow. We would get it here quicker as opposed to climbing the apps per say. I'd be looking for hints of this over the weekend on models, assuming some lakes garbage doesnt get in the way.

At 120, theres a 1036 high in NY and a 1036 in the Plains. The overrunning begins quickly, and aloft it phases the northwest system and southwest system partially, otherwise allows confluent flow in the Northeast and Lakes . It doesn't bring the first northern stream through here in tact first. With the PV so far north, it opens the door to an eastern Lakes runner.

With that look at 120, it would ramp up the temps east of the apps (the ridge). The 18z was close to a classic (if you want to call it that) ice storm (possibly more sleet west of I-77) look in the CAD regions.

With that look at 120, it would ramp up the temps east of the apps (the ridge). The 18z was close to a classic (if you want to call it that) ice storm (possibly more sleet west of I-77) look in the CAD regions.

Oh well...that sucks. Maybe another good rain event coming, that's always good.

theres some damming and this is GFS at a medium range. Not sure if its right at partially phasing the western systems but at any rate does offer up the possibility of round 2 late next week with so much troughiness holding back. If we get a good rain I won't complain though. It has a strange small closed low in Cal. coast at some point. A closed ridge in BC is usually indicative of some active weather here, so damming isn't out of the question at some point, though the first part might not deliver.

theres some damming and this is GFS at a medium range. Not sure if its right at partially phasing the western systems but at any rate does offer up the possibility of round 2 late next week with so much troughiness holding back. If we get a good rain I won't complain though. It has a strange small closed low in Cal. coast at some point. A closed ridge in BC is usually indicative of some active weather here, so damming isn't out of the question at some point, though the first part might not deliver.

Good points Robert...maybe the partial phasing is a bit bullish on the GFS behalf...therefor when all is said and done we can keep the SLP more supressed along the Gulf Coast. IMO the setup with the high/CAD configuration looks good up to about 114, then it goes to the crapper.

Early day for me tomorrow, good night...

With no blocking it's like pulling hens teeth to get a winter storm in the SE.

If we do get a winter storm it'll be a fluke with this pattern of no blocking....

Bring on spring :sun:

Early Spring lovers are still going to be disappointed this run. I see a lot of cold, cloudy, murky days in NC's future.

Yea, I figure it will be a late spring this year, Good blocking will probably return March and April.

00z never gets me to freezing with first wave. I think 2m temp 0.2

We haven't had many sunny days this Winter. Today was pretty nice and the next couple should be, then downhill for a very long time I think.

Yea, I figure it will be a late spring this year, Good blocking will probably return March and April.

00z never gets me to freezing with first wave. I think 2m temp 0.2

Yeah, without much doubt, that along with Nina weakening considerably should yield a cold, raw spring, i.m.o.

And GFS is doing what I thought it would do, is to trend north. Farewell to winter precipitation chances for Feb 2-4 for NC

The models have trended like I expected. Hard to beat the Euro ensembles when they are consistent. Lake Cutter here we come.

He is correct most likely- sometimes the truth hurts....

no guarantee of a Lakes cutter yet, exactly.

no guarantee of a Lakes cutter yet, exactly.

Not a guarantee, but it is the most likely scenario IMO. An Apps runner at the best. The GFS ensemble has also trended north- the handwriting is really on the wall as far as I am concerned. There is some shot at NC getting a period of ice to start, and central and western TN is also somewhat in the game for snow. But GA and SC- I think that there is virtually no chance of frozen.

I like the look of that second piece late week coming up the old front. And maybe the first one can re establish a block, or at least help usher in some re inforcement.

On a side note, I saw some really interesting info. about Iceland's volcanic history and weather. If it gets good and active up there we could see some great weather in the years to come. T

I know this is more "banter-ish", but looking at the long term, it still will not surprise me to have 3, maybe 4 opportunities before winter packs it in. Sure has been a hell of a lot better winter than last years season of NEAR, OH SO NEAR misses. It would be nice to see a blockbuster 12" or larger snow storm to close winter. That would be exclamation point! Beggars cannot be choosers though! :snowman:

I know this is more "banter-ish", but looking at the long term, it still will not surprise me to have 3, maybe 4 opportunities before winter packs it in. Sure has been a hell of a lot better winter than last years season of NEAR, OH SO NEAR misses. It would be nice to see a blockbuster 12" or larger snow storm to close winter. That would be exclamation point! Beggars cannot be choosers though! :snowman:

I second that! Although have not had any one big storm this year, have had more snow than normal here in Northern TN; will be interesting to see some forecasts for the upcoming Winter Season since so many of the forecasts for this season have failed miserably

Well not set in stone... I think this storm will be for the western regional boards. :weight_lift: Too much mounting evidence against this region or the Mid-Atlantic region. Next potential will be determined based on how much energy gets left behind.. and what happens with it as it ... eventually spits out.

Archived