joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 2-4 Storm

CarolinaCrusher2000

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to DT on wxrisk.com , 0z Euro looks good for Southern U.S. Snowstorm with Greenland Block re-establishing itself. guitar.gifgun_bandana.gifSnowman.gif

Can you post a link to where you're findingthat? The most recent I can find on DT's website says: Looking out to day 10 we see some HINTS that a New MIGHT be forming over Iceland and the UK. WE can clearly see significant heights building in the Jet stream. often… but not alwways… when this happens the Block will retogreade into Greenland. So far NONE of the 11-15 day ensemble are showing this.

If DT's calling for the blocking to come back, I'd really like to read his thoughts.

Thanks!

Can you post a link to where you're findingthat? The most recent I can find on DT's website says: Looking out to day 10 we see some HINTS that a New MIGHT be forming over Iceland and the UK. WE can clearly see significant heights building in the Jet stream. often… but not alwways… when this happens the Block will retogreade into Greenland. So far NONE of the 11-15 day ensemble are showing this.

If DT's calling for the blocking to come back, I'd really like to read his thoughts.

Thanks!

From Facebook http://www.facebook.com/WxRisk :

LAST post of the Night -- 0Z EURO in the 6-10 RE-DEVELOPS GREENLAND BLOCK

.... this is VERY SIGNIFICANT... FEB 2 threat looks serious for MO ARK TN KY NC VA MD... mayeb the NE and a possible event FEB 4

The 12 Z Euro has a major snow changing to IP storm for ATL-AHN and vicinity with more IP than S in Tony territory late 2/1 to early 2/2 **fwiw**, which is mainly entertainment at this stage. For those who have had enough in the ATL area this winter like my sis, please put down your guns. I'm just relaying my interpretation of the latest doc model data. Besides, I'm truly unarmed.

This storm is still in the 12z euro run and imo looks like a good setup but have to use caution w/ it being 9 to 10 days away.

pray tell it wont undergo the delays this current midweek one has. As I see it we got about a 6 week window left. This season can still turn out to be one for the ages if we can score one more big one. If it put the white carpet down across a large SE geographical area, that would be 3 times in one season. It's rare when you see 90%+ of the board get blanketed with a winter storm ( talking AL,GA,TN,SC,NC) once every 5-10 years. I've been more than thrilled how this season has turned out. Im not expecting anything Wed, with the exception of getting lucky when the H5 passes right underneath me. But studying the upcoming pattern over the next 10-15 days, I will be suprised if MBY doesnt see atleast one more good accumulating snowfall. I still feel its possible to crack the 20 inch mark, sitting at 12 right now.

The 12 Z Euro has a major snow changing to IP storm for ATL-AHN and vicinity with more IP than S in Tony territory late 2/1 to early 2/2 **fwiw**, which is mainly entertainment at this stage. For those who have had enough in the ATL area this winter like my sis, please put down your guns. I'm just relaying my interpretation of the latest doc model data. Besides, I'm truly unarmed.

What gets my interest up a bit is the Op Euro and the GFS ensemble mean are quite similar- so the chance of this fantasy storm actually coming to fruition is just a bit higher than a 9-10 day forecast would normally be IMO.

pray tell it wont undergo the delays this current midweek one has. As I see it we got about a 6 week window left. This season can still turn out to be one for the ages if we can score one more big one. If it put the white carpet down across a large SE geographical area, that would be 3 times in one season. It's rare when you see 90%+ of the board get blanketed with a winter storm ( talking AL,GA,TN,SC,NC) once every 5-10 years. I've been more than thrilled how this season has turned out. Im not expecting anything Wed, with the exception of getting lucky when the H5 passes right underneath me. But studying the upcoming pattern over the next 10-15 days, I will be suprised if MBY doesnt see atleast one more good accumulating snowfall. I still feel its possible to crack the 20 inch mark, sitting at 12 right now.

Bro, you live right up the road from me. whats your name?

February seemed to be our best overall month for snow in the past so we'll see.

You are so right. Anytime snow is mentioned around mine and your area, people think of February. My birthday is in February and we've had big snows in the past around my bday. March is also when we've gotten large snows!

I agree!...This upcoming storm on Wednesday has turned out to be a disappointment but like you I think I will see atleast one more snowstorm before seasons end.

Bank on this one in the Charlotte area - I'm flying back from Orlando on the 4th. Most likely y'all will be buried and I'll be stuck down in Mouseville's airport.

Sorry ATL folks, I did the direct flight to CLT rather than the later connection through ATL, so I can't guarantee anything for your area :P

Storms go better with blocking.. and maybe not so much needle threading. Plus what you get, you often get to keep a while.

I'm still looking at late week, or the weekend, as goofy liked it last week. T

I'm looking forward to Feb and at least one more chance at some winter precip around here.:wub:

I never had a shot with the system headed this way Tuesday, and not sure what others in this area were looking at, but the models all pointed to nothing but rain for mby. I'll enjoy the rain(this time) and I have my fingers crossed that this year will be normal to above in precipitation.

The trends seem to be for storms to be delayed this season. It seems like since their are so many S/Ws in the flow, the models have been keying in on the first one to generate the storm, only to shear that one out and hone in on the second one. What we need is to see a 7-8 day prog with a major SE storm with warm conditions, and a cold high building in after the storm. Then when it gets delayed by a day or two, the high will be in place. That's all we need. Simple enough. :)

bad thing is the current storm was suppose to be a major ice storm then major snow and now a mix but mostly rain so the euro can't be trusted eitherthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Posted this over in the other thread, but moving it over here since I didn't realize this thread had started. Just a few general thoughts about the long term...

Looking a bit into the long term, 18z GFS continues to advertise impressive ridging out west with continued below normal temps over much of the central and eastern part of the country. Also of note is a surprisingly similar handle between it and the 12z ECMWF with the s/w digging down into the Four Corners a week or so from now. As some have noted earlier, I think this will definitely be a time period to keep an eye on over the coming days for a potential SE winter storm as this s/w progresses eastward.

Posted this over in the other thread, but moving it over here since I didn't realize this thread had started. Just a few general thoughts about the long term...

Looking a bit into the long term, 18z GFS continues to advertise impressive ridging out west with continued below normal temps over much of the central and eastern part of the country. Also of note is a surprisingly similar handle between it and the 12z ECMWF with the s/w digging down into the Four Corners a week or so from now. As some have noted earlier, I think this will definitely be a time period to keep an eye on over the coming days for a potential SE winter storm as this s/w progresses eastward.

Mr. Burns: "Excellent", tapping the fingers together.

Cheez mentioned the EURO had this storm matching up well with the GFS Ensembles. It seems like there's synoptic reason for this timeframe to have good potential. Perhaps it's the strong ridge that you're talking about. Is there a Greenland block in place at this time that you can tell? I have the hardest time identifying what a greenland 50/50 block is/where it is.

Yes, Tuesday and EARLY Wednesday will be rain but as the STRONG upper low rolls through it appears the Triad will get a good dose of snow late Wednesday into early Thursday morning. February could be a lot of fun, though!

Im now putting all my focus on this storm, the Tuesday/Wednesday storm is a long lost hope..:arrowhead:

Archived