• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

I agree, especially for areas along and North of I-70 in Indiana. Will all depend on where this low tracks, but as I said a few pages back, just with the air masses we have in play alone, this thing has some ice potential with it.

Yeah it will depend on what this system looks like in the end, but the current banana high type surface configuration on the EC/UK would strongly support a transition zone with ice.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it will depend on what this system looks like in the end, but the current banana high type surface configuration on the EC/UK would strongly support a transition zone with ice.

if it keeps plowing north east i would think the ice threat would be minimal, other then briefly on the front end. Don't you usually need a storm to get blocked west to east with overrunning for a good icing event?

if it keeps plowing north east i would think the ice threat would be minimal, other then briefly on the front end. Don't you usually need a storm to get blocked west to east with overrunning for a good icing event?

I think multiple weaker waves would be ideal. If we get a rapidly deepening low, then more rapid airmass modification becomes likely which may reduce the amount/longevity of icing in any one location. Way too early to tell just how big of a threat ice will be, but it'd basically be a given in this type of setup.

I agree, especially for areas along and North of I-70 in Indiana. Will all depend on where this low tracks, but as I said a few pages back, just with the air masses we have in play alone, this thing has some ice potential with it.

We're also getting into the time of year climate wise when we can have our worst ice storms in this area.

From CLE regarding next week

MODEL CONFIDENCE DIMINISHES SIGNIFICANTLY GOING INTO

EARLY NEXT WEEK WITH LATEST ECMWF RUN STILL SHOWING INTENSIFYING LOW

PRESSURE TRACK NORTHEAST TOWARD CENTRAL GREAT LAKES. MEANWHILE GFS

SHOWS LARGE AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE RIDGING SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE

PLAINS STATES AND EAST INTO THE REGION. GEM SHOWING LOW PRESSURE

DEVELOPING OVER THE GULF COAST AND TRACKING TO MID ATLANTIC DURING

THIS TIME. FOR NOW MADE ONLY MINOR CHANGES TO PREVIOUS FORECAST WITH

SOME SLIGHT ADJUSTMENTS TOWARD MIDDLE OF THE ROAD GEM SOLUTION

INDICATING A DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE THAT COULD POSSIBLY TRACK IN

VICINITY OF APPALACHIANS.

The differences are amazing. Within the first 48 hours--the GFS takes the first weak wave and phases that with the northern stream and incites strong CAA and the development of the trough into the CONUS ahead of that trailing Pacific Wave 66-84 hours out. It misses the second phase as a result. The good news is the guidance should have much of that cleared up within 24 hours, and those details make this forecast. It is either a go or a no-go.

The differences are amazing. Within the first 48 hours--the GFS takes the first weak wave and phases that with the northern stream and incites strong CAA and the development of the trough into the CONUS ahead of that trailing Pacific Wave 66-84 hours out. It misses the second phase as a result. The good news is the guidance should have much of that cleared up within 24 hours, and those details make this forecast. It is either a go or a no-go.

I was more skeptical about this potential yesterday. However, with essentially every model aside from the GFS jumping on board, I'm more confident today in stating that there will in all likelihood be some type of storm during the 120-168 hour timeframe. Only question is where and how much.

Do you think, then, that if the Euro reigns supreme tomorrow night, SOMEONE in the Midwest will be looking at a major snowstorm early next week?

Agree with this, i think we're going to know pretty quick here whether we're looking at an event or nothing even close.

Wish it was like this for every storm. That way we don't spend a week tracking it and 2 days before it misses a phase.

not quite what i was saying, the track won't be decided anytime soon, i just thing we'll have some of the more near term issues cleared up soon that will lets us know if there will even be a storm.

I was more skeptical about this potential yesterday. However, with essentially every model aside from the GFS jumping on board, I'm more confident today in stating that there will in all likelihood be some type of storm during the 120-168 hour timeframe. Only question is where and how much.

Perhaps--I remain partially skeptical of anything since the wave in question is still a tiny ripple on the screaming Pacific Jet and it still needs to break off and undergo cyclogenesis--and things can change fast with these events. I like the one disco that said no model really will likely be right and the details lie somewhere in between at this moment.

Do you think, then, that if the Euro reigns supreme tomorrow night, SOMEONE in the Midwest will be looking at a major snowstorm early next week?

Were the Euro to verify as is--yeah it would be quite a storm.

Agree with this, i think we're going to know pretty quick here whether we're looking at an event or nothing even close.

Yeah--that is the good news. The wave in question way out in the Pacific will have detached from the Pacific jet and the models will have a much better idea of exactly how this incoming clipper tracks and, subsequently, how much cold air comes in behind it and the chance of an early phase like the GFS--or a late phase like the Euro--or perhaps something in the middle.

So the 18Z GFS shows a little over 1.0" total QPF between hrs 138-162 across much of OK & the TX panhandle, falling as mainly snow. Certainly wish this run would occur 4-5 days from today. :snowman:

Yeah, this is just 10:1 ratio I think but it would be a big storm for you all and just to my south. I wouldn't get excited for anything yet as it's likely to change many times.

GFS_3_2011012618_F174_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Thanks for posting that BARO! Do we know if sampling of the Pacific is still occuring as it was last week, and being fed into the models?

Good question--I am not 100% sure. Check this--sounds like a negative for tomorrow for the Pacific. Not sure if anyone has other links. I know there are other links for recon missions--I just don't remember what they are.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/reconlist.shtml

Right now it's hard for me to believe we're going to get that sort of moisture fed into the storm in OK with the drought that is intensifying. We've gone from historic flooding in June to severe drought currently in cent. OK. Right now we're on pace for our driest Dec-Feb period on record.

Archived