• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

I pledge to ban myself from starting any more winter storm threads (at least this year) should this turn into nothing, but I couldn't help but notice the relatively decent model agreement 1) on building a huge ridge near the west coast and 2) on a wave or series of waves ejecting eastward into the Plains starting about a week from now. Timing/intensity is anybody's guess and much can go wrong as far as bigger storm potential, but I think the door is open for something significant given the pattern being shown. Discuss, throw fruit, cream pies or whatever.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from LC WEATHERAmerica newsletter

I suppose the key component in the temperature outlook

will be the southern branch, which the various models

have been hinting will reactivate. The scenario I am toying

with now is cyclogenesis of the "Galveston Bay Spin-Up"

type, triggered by a subtropical jet stream impulse

approaching from northern Mexico. These disturbances

often ride up the west side of the Appalachian Mountains;

tracks through the Piedmont into the Adirondacks are also

a possibility. Snow and ice may fall in great quantity over

the Tennessee and Ohio Valley, while heavy rainfall would

target the major cities of the Deep South and Eastern

Seaboard. Most of Canada, the Mississippi Valley and the

West will likely face routinely cold weather for the first week

of the month.

Well, I looked, and all I am going to say is there is potential for something. Looks like, at this range, the GL warms up for a day or two (28th and into the 29th) b as a strong low looks to progress W to E across Canada,(more or less) and that pulls the "freeze line" all the way up to C WI and N MI. (strangely, this run shows a lack of precip for S WI, C and S MN and N IL., I would figure a warm up would accompanied by something) After the low passes to the east, arctic air appears to make a return, dropping temps all the way down to the GOM. After that about the 2nd or 3rd, another low comes down from Canada, and moves across S WI and N IL with about .25 qpf.

Obviously at this range, nothing is set in stone, I was only looking at the 850 maps so that only tells part of the story. Given the atmospheric set up as told in the first post, is it possible for a low to move W to E like that? It looked a little strange, but then, that's just me. The second low seems to follow the ridge, coming down from Canada into the Dakotas, crossing the GL, and then seems to head NE after that, then weakening and crossing into northern New England.

So, for what it's worth, that's my quick and dirty analysis, based on looking at surface and 850 temp maps and the 850 maps. I didn't look at the upper air dynamics, so I am missing some details, I am sure... but right now, that's the way it looks

You know the funny thing, when I saw the 06z GFS the first thing that went through my mind with respect to the clipper was, 'I wish it was spring time'. That vort in that location would have the potential to yield some pretty good severe weather.

Yep.

I would love it if that was our dominant storm track for the summer.

Please spare me from all the MCS.

Eh I love me some MCS. I say bring on May of 2004 again, nothing tops 8.41" of rain and a month absolutely loaded with severe weather.

I have a love/hate relationship with them.

See last year as a reason for why I hate them. We had so much convective debris from them yet I don't think we we're hit directly by any of them (except one with a MCV towards the end of summer).

Eh I love me some MCS. I say bring on May of 2004 again, nothing tops 8.41" of rain and a month absolutely loaded with severe weather.

Had that this past June and July. :P Really cant complain about this out this way other then a lack of decent hailers. Hopefully you guys out that way ( north of i94 ) can get in on it this year as well.

Now hopefully we can get back some of that Hoosier luck we use to have before the big fail with the infamous Hoosier storm bust a couple of winters back. :scooter:

The euro potential looks great with this. Ridge is backed further and IN the Pacific and the wave train flowing down the westcoast/sw and Texas. And hints of some se ridging too. Have not looked at the other models yet.

I have a love/hate relationship with them.

See last year as a reason for why I hate them. We had so much convective debris from them yet I don't think we we're hit directly by any of them (except one with a MCV towards the end of summer).

Last summer was kind of weird, normally we get a couple MCS during prime time to come through, even at that we were way above normal for tornadoes this past summer for MI. I'll stop right here though as I don't want to derail the thread anymore.

I just hope that the clipper that comes through first will at least arrive with something preferably not rain.

That month was epic. July & August 2007 were pretty sweet too. Last June & July were great if you were south of the city, but not so great for the northern suburbs. Sorry for the OT.

That month was epic. July & August 2007 were pretty sweet too. Last June & July were great if you were south of the city, but not so great for the northern suburbs. Sorry for the OT.

Just for some if only it was summer thoughts :) Please let this occur again in May :) Just remove the vort over the Gulf Coast states.

gfs_500_132m.gif

If there's going to be a return to big time -AO/-NAO blocking, it isn't going to occur until mid February (Feb 8 or later) or so. So we still have a window of opportunity for a bigger storm to develop while the teleconnections remain favorable. That being said, without a more robust STJ getting involved, it's going to be tough.

12Z GFS continues to be consistent with the arctic front towards the end of the week however the 12Z CMC/NOCRAPS changed tunes from their prior runs and delays or not as strong with it until later next weekend...0Z ukie was hinting at this, be interesting what the 12Z euro progs are on this.

GFS/GGEM at 144

0z ECMWF was in better agreement with the GGEM FWIW.

Archived