• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

Yeah, although it's hard to completely disregard seasonal trends, this pattern is a bit different than what we've seen mostly and this is the type of regime where the GFS does this. Time will tell.

Yeah, I'll ride other models on this for now, GFS just too weird with its handling.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to not have a 1040mb+ high in the plains squashing this like the Euro after 168hr. Might be a good hit for Ohio Valley but up this way would be yet another miss.

Yeah, the northern wave of precip weakens eastward, surprise surprise, while to the south it looks like an overrunning event in OH.

12z Euro looks fairly similar to the 0z run FWIW. Maybe a slight bit more ridging out in front. Decent hit of snow for the QC to southern WI to N IL to N IN to S MI through 174. Awaiting more frames...

EDIT: Thumping OH at 180, but the 32º line bisects the state in half basically (SW to NE).

12z Euro looks fairly similar to the 0z run FWIW. Maybe a slight bit more ridging out in front. Decent hit of snow for the QC to southern WI to N IL to N IN to S MI through 174. Awaiting more frames...

Not bad as was the 12z CMC (which still has a more robust clipper). I haven't had the Euro show a decent anything for this region even in the long range for some time.

That setup is very suggestive of ice too.

Agree and it's the first time we've seen anything like it this season. I'm normally off but didn't our last Nina have a lot of icing events, especially in the MO area?

Not bad as was the 12z CMC (which still has a more robust clipper). I haven't had the Euro show a decent anything for this region even in the long range for some time.

Agree and it's the first time we've seen anything like it this season. I'm normally off but didn't our last Nina have a lot of icing events, especially in the MO area?

Ninas seem to have higher ice potential. I know Missouri has had some big icing events in recent years but I'm not sure about dates.

EDIT: Thumping OH at 180, but the 32º line bisects the state in half basically (SW to NE).

Nice little hit for sure but man oh man you see what is behind that? That is some freakish brutal cold. 850s of -40 just north of Superior.. :shiver: :shiver:

Not a bad run so far. Very decent -EPO ridging that extends to the artic circle. Thus why as well it looks like the whole Artic is about to pay a visit to us. Not sure it does though but man it is close.

If this energy could all come out at once...oh man. But if you're farther south/east, the piecemeal scenario might be better.

I agree. Still, even in this scenario, I can see more QPF than what the 12z Euro is showing. Real nice thermal spread across the country from -5º or colder in the Plains/Dakotas to 60º+ in the South.

Nice little hit for sure but man oh man you see what is behind that? That is some freakish brutal cold. 850s of -40 just north of Superior.. :shiver: :shiver:

Not a bad run so far. Very decent -EPO ridging that extends to the artic circle. Thus why as well it looks like the whole Artic is about to pay a visit to us. Not sure it does though but man it is close.

Some serious cold in Canada. Looks like some of it will be making a visit if the 12z Euro is right.

If this energy could all come out at once...oh man. But if you're farther south/east, the piecemeal scenario might be better.

It's still somewhat a fantasy range event but with the super clipper looking less super and the subsequent artic invasion delayed, i think we might have a shot at seeing some legit ridging to the east allowing things to trend in a positive direction as far as storm potential is concerned. It would be great if we can get an open gulf and lose some of the lakes blocking for once.

I agree. Still, even in this scenario, I can see more QPF than what the 12z Euro is showing. Real nice thermal spread across the country from -5º or colder in the Plains/Dakotas to 60º+ in the South.

About time, i'm sick of wishy washy cold conditions into the deep south, hopefully this gets even more extreme in the days to come.

Archived