• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

Agree and it's the first time we've seen anything like it this season. I'm normally off but didn't our last Nina have a lot of icing events, especially in the MO area?

2007-2008 was year of the ice storm:

Dec 8th-10th:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/?n=icestormsummarydec07

Feb 11th-12th (no link)

Feb 21st:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/?n=feb212008icestorm

Main difference is lots of precip that La Nina and very little precip this La Nina.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still somewhat a fantasy range event but with the super clipper looking less super and the subsequent artic invasion delayed, i think we might have a shot at seeing some legit ridging to the east allowing things to trend in a positive direction as far as storm potential is concerned. It would be great if we can get an open gulf and lose some of the lakes blocking for once.

About time, i'm sick of wishy washy cold conditions into the deep south, hopefully this gets even more extreme in the days to come.

I've pretty much tried to swear off watching long range threats, but I think the set up is about as good as we've seen in quite awhile. For something large scale. Of course it's just potential right now, but it certainly intrigues me a little.

It's still somewhat a fantasy range event but with the super clipper looking less super and the subsequent artic invasion delayed, i think we might have a shot at seeing some legit ridging to the east allowing things to trend in a positive direction as far as storm potential is concerned. It would be great if we can get an open gulf and lose some of the lakes blocking for once.

About time, i'm sick of wishy washy cold conditions into the deep south, hopefully this gets even more extreme in the days to come.

+10

Especially with the wishy washy cold in the south. Time for a little SE Ridging.

There's really not any blocking showing up...not like what we've seen this winter anyway. There is some flat southeast ridging and even that has been hard to come by this winter. There's a lot of cold air north of the border which would hopefully prevent this from trying to cut too far north.

Bean town with near 3" of precip.. Sad when I want to lock in a 6th of what the euro gives them. What a run they're having after the slow start..

Dont think all of it is snow but a lot of it is. If I have to pick one area Im jealous of it is CT and most of MA, they have got some serious snow depths. And winter was totally nonexistent there until after Christmas. Snowcover, as you know, is huge on my list, so Im very pleased with my winter so far (unlike some of my fellow SE Michiganders), but the perfect winter this year would have been December in MN and January in CT.

There's really not any blocking showing up...not like what we've seen this winter anyway. There is some flat southeast ridging and even that has been hard to come by this winter. There's a lot of cold air north of the border which would hopefully prevent this from trying to cut too far north.

Not a concern of mine, yet. But frankly i'd welcome it over a boring GFS solution.

Heh, I was thinking about that too when watching the Euro roll out.

Dont think all of it is snow but a lot of it is. If I have to pick one area Im jealous of it is CT and most of MA, they have got some serious snow depths. And winter was totally nonexistent there until after Christmas. Snowcover, as you know, is huge on my list, so Im very pleased with my winter so far (unlike some of my fellow SE Michiganders), but the perfect winter this year would have been December in MN and January in CT.

Yeah I'm loving this January with lights snows almost every day it seems and a nice snow cover of the whitest and freshest looking 7"+ Our yr will come where we finally can build a snow pack of 2'+ and it actually last.. I'll be tickled if we can nickel and dime our way to a foot s-pack.. My winter grade is on the rise.. Almost up to a c+ and if the Euro would happen to work out and I get near .50" of precip as snow it will be well in to the b's.

Nice little hit for sure but man oh man you see what is behind that? That is some freakish brutal cold. 850s of -40 just north of Superior.. :shiver: :shiver:

Not a bad run so far. Very decent -EPO ridging that extends to the artic circle. Thus why as well it looks like the whole Artic is about to pay a visit to us. Not sure it does though but man it is close.

i know, put me in the worried camp.

whats the deal with that?

we lose the AO and NAO but nothing happened?

is there an explanation. im guesing it was the perfectly timed PNA arrival?

Pretty much. -EPO ridging is fine and great but bring that ridge onshore into the west ( ala +PNA ) and it basically becomes almost like having that -NAO blocking we had. Would have helped though if the NAO could have been more on the + side with the +PNA. Preferably though the ridge works best if in the Pacific and the systems are diving south along the westcoast into the sw/TX with a neutral/slightly positive NAO and or no Greenland blocking with a nice H sitting right off the se coast.

Pretty much. -EPO ridging is fine and great but bring that ridge onshore into the west ( ala +PNA ) and it basically becomes almost like having that -NAO blocking we had. Would have helped though if the NAO could have been more on the + side with the +PNA. Preferably though the ridge works best if in the Pacific and the systems are diving south along the westcoast into the sw/TX with a neutral/slightly positive NAO and or no Greenland blocking with a nice H sitting right off the se coast.

thanks

The ensembles as a whole aren't great but a few more are starting to show some potential, if we can get a decent baroclinic zone in the the south/central plains like the Euro is showing, there is some boom goes the dynamite potential.

Its ensembles of the GFS which has a cold bias, so its not surprising that a lot of them look squashed. At this juncture I'd be riding other models, however the clipper this weekend truly will have the final say on how this event plays out.

Its ensembles of the GFS which has a cold bias, so its not surprising that a lot of them look squashed. At this juncture I'd be riding other models, however the clipper this weekend truly will have the final say on how this event plays out.

Agree, right now the GFS seems to be playing to that bias, hence my somewhat optimistic mood. As for the clipper, the 12z GFS was noticeably weaker than 0z and was less agressive with the artic air behind it, we'll have to see if it's a trend.

Being completely pessimistic here--I am not even bothering with threats beyond 120 hours in this un-impeded flow pattern full of atmospheric wave disturbances of various amplitudes flying in every direction all over the CONUS and Canada.

Aggression is much more interesting though. :( But I understand. :thumbsup:

Archived