• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

Aggression is much more interesting though. :( But I understand. :thumbsup:

Another decent storm threat being squashed (the mother of clippers thread from Canuck) has put me into full pessimism mode. Unless the weather gods try to revive the mother of clippers (they won't), I will watch as the Pacific sends the train of atmospheric waves into the CONUS to die and wither away. sad.gif

Cmichweather has seen another blizzard threat go down the tubes up in Nodak. He may go into full-blown drinking mode if this continues.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another decent storm threat being squashed (the mother of clippers thread from Canuck) has put me into full pessimism mode. Unless the weather gods try to revive the mother of clippers (they won't), I will watch as the Pacific sends the train of atmospheric waves into the CONUS to die and wither away. sad.gif

Cmichweather has seen another blizzard threat go down the tubes up the Nodak. He may be into full-blown drinking mode if this continues.

Yeah, the thing is you guys have cashed in earlier this year so its not all bad up there. I mean isn't your snow depth something ridiculous? Personally I think there is a pattern change in the works which will probably help out areas that have missed out thus far this winter.

Cmichweather has seen another blizzard threat go down the tubes up the Nodak. He may be into full-blown drinking mode if this continues.

The northern stream NW flow action has been weak at best lately. I think a lot of us are just looking to this period for a revival of some eastern ridging, so maybe a lame clipper that doesn’t smash down a bunch of cold air all the way to Mexico will help things out in the long run, if and when we can get a decent piece of energy into the south central plains.

As for Cmichweather, at least his season has a long ways to go.

The northern stream NW flow action has been weak at best lately. I think a lot of us are just looking to this period for a revival of some eastern ridging, so maybe a lame clipper that doesn’t smash down a bunch of cold air all the way to Mexico will help things out in the long run, if and when we can get a decent piece of energy into the south central plains.

The bolded part is key, I think as a rule of thumb clippers don't draw down the cold like that, and with this one translating E vs SE we probably won't have the cold air dump as far south as previous clippers.

Yeah, the thing is you guys have cashed in earlier this year so its not all bad up there. I mean isn't your snow depth something ridiculous? Personally I think there is a pattern change in the works which will probably help out areas that have missed out thus far this winter.

Yeah I am not complaining. I was looking forward to a potential wind threat with this since I like wind more than snow--oh well. But yeah--snowpack itself is great. I think the minor disappointment comes in this being threat number 4 in a row that petered out and came in multiple chunks instead of one.

Yeah I will take whatever comes. I was hoping for a good clipper since this is typical clipper season. A nice wrapped storm would be nice as well--but I am also realistic in that this isn't necessarily the time for that yet. Late winter and early spring will undoubtedly have some good threats though.

Yeah I will take whatever comes. I was hoping for a good clipper since this is typical clipper season. A nice wrapped storm would be nice as well--but I am also realistic in that this isn't necessarily the time for that yet. Late winter and early spring will undoubtedly have some good threats though.

We really only have a month maybe a month a half window down this way before major events become difficult and rain dominated. I’m ready to blow this pattern up in the worst way before it’s too late.

The bolded part is key, I think as a rule of thumb clippers don't draw down the cold like that, and with this one translating E vs SE we probably won't have the cold air dump as far south as previous clippers.

All depends on what happens in the west and to some degree the north Atlantic. Gotta have something as well to keep the storms from taking a deadly track right over our heads too. What we really really dont want is either the clipper heading for Toronto and then Boston and exploding off the eastcoast and thus forming another block. Nor do we want a clipper so weak that it leaves the door open for the next system to slide over our heads and or just to the west. Thus why i liked the 12z euro yesterday and what it did with the clipper. It lifts it up to the ne/nne from centeral MI into Canada and does not head for the Atlantic and keeps the gate closed over our heads and to the west with the next system especially if it bombs.

All depends on what happens in the west and to some degree the north Atlantic. Gotta have something as well to keep the storms from taking a deadly track right over our heads too. What we really really dont want is either the clipper heading for Toronto and then Boston and exploding off the eastcoast and thus forming another block. Nor do we want a clipper so weak that it leaves the door open for the next system to slide over our heads and or just to the west. Thus why i liked the 12z euro yesterday and what it did with the clipper. It lifts it up to the ne/nne from centeral MI into Canada and does not head for the Atlantic and keeps the gate closed over our heads and to the west with the next system especially if it bombs.

I’ll take a hard cutter west of me if it means an end to the lameness.

I’ll take a hard cutter west of me if it means an end to the lameness.

I personally would rather not waste any potential. :P Have seen enough hard cutters the past couple of winters and so i'll pass on that. basically like i95 getting another dump. No thanks.

Unless it does it Jan 67 style. :popcorn:

I was half serious, as someone who could care less about snowpack, I'd take a 996 over Chicago and rain over -6 with snow in Mexico.

So was I. Regardless, I think -6 and snow in Mexico would be quite fascinating.

Anyway, still liking the prospects for something. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle.

I figured it wouldn't take long for someone from MI to chime in. :lol: Obviously a great storm for you guys. Would be sweet for you all if something similar could happen again with this clipper.

Let's not get too crazy. A cutter through OH will do just fine.

Sorry OH folks. :P

As long as it's CMH to CLE I'm fine with that. scooter.gif

Well... at least the GGEM/ECMWF are encouraging.

Jan 25-27....12.4 inches.

Also, Feb 6-7 of that same year dumped 10.3 inches

Not bad at all.

:lmao: Oh no not Jan 78 talk again... :wub:

Gotta go big. I am ready for a real storm. :popcorn:

Or better yet, Jan 99. :pimp:

Don't recall the pattern before that. I just know Jan 67 had a hard cutter like Ale mentioned ( nice severe wx event too in the region ) which was followed up a day or so later by the Jan 67 blizzard along the same front i do believe.

Don't recall the pattern before that. I just know Jan 67 had a hard cutter like Ale mentioned ( nice severe wx event too in the region ) which was followed up a day or so later by the Jan 67 blizzard along the same front i do believe.

Not exactly telling us the pattern, but here's the synoptic setup for it.

http://www.meteo.psu...1999/us0101.php

Apparently we may have similar teleconnections this time around as we did in January 1999 (+NAO/+AO/+PNA).

Just took a look at GFS 18Z...Looks a lot like the X-MAS or Jan 20-21 storm Pattern. More blocking?

I wouldn't pay attention to the run verbatim. Actually, it's too early to do that for any of these models. But it's fair to say the GFS has made some substantial trends today.

Archived