• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS could make me look a fool...you never know. But this is by far the most excited I've been about big storm potential this winter locally and for the region. That being said, caution is the key word for now.

Yes. I think some meteorologists become transfixed with the model output and ensemble output verbatim and lose site of what is truly happening out in the raging Pacific. A real threat--but a lot of weather needs to happen. Euro busted hard with the clipper and phase with the polar vortex (and it had tremendous ensemble agreement)--and it is definitely the most bullish here with the phase threat. The threat is real though for some type of storm threat.

GFS could make me look a fool...you never know. But this is by far the most excited I've been about big storm potential this winter locally and for the region. That being said, caution is the key word for now.

Not much to get excited about this way yet. Heavy rain lol.. But for now, we at least have the trends of the winter on our side. Something to watch at least. I'm rooting for a March 08 track lol

Lets fill in the blank..

post-90-0-41388900-1296084104.png

Should also be mentioned that a number of the ensemble members are now bombing this thing to sub 980 just east of Detroit tracking up from W.Ohio/se IN.

Wow, thanks for that.

Yes, thanks for sharing, Harry.

Yes. I think some meteorologists become transfixed with the model output and ensemble output verbatim and lose site of what is truly happening out in the raging Pacific. A real threat--but a lot of weather needs to happen. Euro busted hard with the clipper and phase with the polar vortex (and it had tremendous ensemble agreement)--and it is definitely the most bullish here with the phase threat. The threat is real though for some type of storm threat.

And thank you for keeping a reality check in place. It would be easy for someone like me to get all :weenie: 'd up after seeing a track like that on the Euro and start declaring bombogeddon for the Midwest. This will be fun and interesting to watch unfold.

Yes, thanks for sharing, Harry.

And thank you for keeping a reality check in place. It would be easy for someone like me to get all :weenie: 'd up after seeing a track like that on the Euro and start declaring bombogeddon for the Midwest. This will be fun and interesting to watch unfold.

Definitely a real threat. The raging Pacific is tough for the models though. I still believe a storm unfolds somewhere though. It seems Hoosier will have a successful thread for someone in the region from Texas to the northern plains/great lakes--depending on how the height field unfolds.

Hey Baro, how's the cras at 84? i think we'll put it in the gfs camp

lol...-42 850s up there in n. canada

Haha the CRAS. Throw in the DGEX output--and I like to blend them together. Typically works out great for a height field forecast.

Hey do you have a track outlined for this storm? I am thinking somewhere between Indy-CBUS!

my heart says it runs more sw to ne along the baroclinic zone along the ohio river to the mason dixon line. My brain says between Dayton & LAF.

If the euro continues to show a cutter at 96 it's OVA for us....period...no matter if every other model is showing a coastal or app track. If between now and then dr.no blinks staring at the gfs and moves east....game on.

my heart says it runs more sw to ne along the baroclinic zone along the ohio river to the mason dixon line. My brain says between Dayton & LAF.

If the euro continues to show a cutter at 96 it's OVA for us....period...no matter if every other model is showing a coastal or app track. If between now and then dr.no blinks staring at the gfs and moves east....game on.

I don't even want to guess about a track right now, but if the phasing works out, I don't see anything to really block this from trying to track inland.

I don't even want to guess about a track right now, but if the phasing works out, I don't see anything to really block this from trying to track inland.

I wouldn't think about the track yet either. I'd wait another 36-48hrs or so and then if the threat is still showing up, think about it.

Lets hope the GFS jumps on the sled with the Euro.

The good thing is that the storm will have a fresh arctic air mass to work with. EC is forecasting a high of -15C for us on Monday, as is The Weather Network. If we can just get the storm to come up into the cold air, we're in the game. It would be great if we could get a storm like the one in early February 1972 which gave Ottawa about 20" of snow.

Sorry, been following/interpreting models for a while and have not heard of the EE rule. Elaborate?

Back in the old days. If the Euro and ETA (earlier version of the NAM) arrived at the same solution, it was pretty likely that it would happen since they both had very different physics packages.

Archived