joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Euro para has been better, though. And it has a completely different solution. Unless the other three start showing a cutter like the Euro and UK, then we still have two different solutions on the table and not any kind of trend towards one solution or the other. Just have to wait to see what the other models do.

The EPS is best of all with the verification scores, and is was meh for snow. The UKIE has been very consistent with the cutter solution, other models have trended slightly warmer. This is not going to be much of a snow event. Ice is still very much on the table however.

Euro and Ukmet arent exactly in the same camp. The ukmet goes negative tilt with a long wave trough over the mississippi river. The euro isn't nearly that aggressive, and would still imply a front end snow/ice threat for some area's. 

Also, the euro is sending the surface low right into where the heart of an insitu wedge would be. I'm not buying that at this point. It should either cut west of the apps, or jump more towards the coast. IMO

Also, The euro has my temp at 29/11 Monday morning when precip starts, at 1pm i'm at 30/25, at 7pm: 31/30 and at 1am 35/34.

So it essentially shows zero cooling from wetbulbing... I'm definitely not buying that.

Euro and Ukmet arent' exactly in the same camp. The ukmet goes negative tilt with a long wave trough over the mississippi river. The euro isn't nearly that aggressive, and would still imply a front end snow/ice threat for some area's. 

Also, the euro is sending the surface low right into where the heart of an insitu wedge would be. I'm not buying that at this point. It should either cut west of the apps, or jump more towards the coast. IMO

Honestly, I was expecting a transfer and never happened. 

The EURO 0Z op didn't even agree with its own ensembles.  I don't think this one will either, heading up the apps.  The EPS is south. With that said, the EPS still wants to run the low inland along the gulf, and up 95, which still is not what I'd like to see.

I agree too that I would pay more attention to the para EURO which has been doing very well and also shows a southern solution.  If that falls to cutter/runner solution this afternoon.... :cry:

Can't remember the specifics but for the storm a couple weeks ago, a lot of areas were modeled to either change to rain or not have frozen precip at all that saw colder temps or more frozen. 48-72 hours out a lot of the global models showed temps bottoming out around 32 here and it ended up being more like 27 all day Friday.

Maybe this will be one of those deals where it ends up being more amped but the models pick up on it being a little colder at the sfc.

Euro actually hangs on with the parent high longer and actually is more impressive with the wedge during the day Monday..as it keeps temps sub freezing even without precip into the afternoon. The euro appears to wrongly drive the surface low straight into the wedge which models often do..which ca uses instant doubts in its surface temps.

Once again it really looks like the warming being shown is unrealistic. The Canadian and euro actually aren't that far off pressure wise with the low and parent high. The Canadian though is much colder and much more likely to be right. It shows the wedge extending up to at least 925mb...easily deep enough to resist temps warming....especially against modest 850m temps. The euro is warmer at 850 but even 6 or 7c probably wouldn't be enough to overcome the depth and degree of the boundary layer. However since the euro wants to drive the low straight into the wedge it's probably a bit too warm at that level.

So the way I see it I see nothing on the euro or any of the other guidance that makes me believe temps will warm up in cad regions from north ga into the western carolinas to prevent significant icing. The bigger question to me is just how much total precip there will be.

if I had to guess, 2" of snow followed by sleet followed by freezing rain followed by rain. I'd say about an inch or so of the total QPF could possibly be frozen/freezing. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like CLT goes above freezing around 135. By then about .5 frozen or freezing has fallen.

GSP looks to stay below freezing a little longer, but is at 33 by 138 when about .9 has fallen, FWIW. 

It's impossible to deny the warmer trends though.

Euro actually hangs on with the parent high longer and actually is more impressive with the wedge during the day Monday..as it keeps temps sub freezing even without precip into the afternoon.The euro appears to wrongly drive the surface low straight into the wedge which models often do..which causes instant doubts in its surface temps.

Once again it really looks like the warming being shown is unrealistic. The Canadian and euro actually aren't that far off pressure wise with the low and parent high. The Canadian though is much colder and much more likely to be right. It shows the wedge extending up to at least 925mb...easily deep enough to resist temps warming....especially against modest 850m temps. The euro is warmer at 850 but even 6 or 7c probably wouldn't be enough to overcome the depth and degree of the boundary layer. However since the euro wants to drive the low straight into the wedge it's probably a bit too warm at that level.

So the way I see it I see nothing on the euro or any of the other guidance that makes me believe temps will warm up in cad regions from north ga into the western carolinas to prevent significant icing. The bigger question to me is just how much total precip there will be.

Good post. What's the bigger question? Don't leave us hanging Lookout! :)

We're not going to get a good idea until maybe Friday. I don't buy the European. This is some really cold air that is going to be in place and very hard to dislodge. I don't think the models are going to be able to model this correctly.  I expect to see the euro start trending south and east just like the last storm. (but)I also don't buy the GFS. I think we end up with some kind of hybrid A/B system, with mesohighs keeping a hybrid CAD in place. I have no idea how this would effect areas like RDU; which could still turn over to rain. I would (at this point) favor areas in the NW sections of NC being the jackpot for whatever we end up getting.

Euro actually hangs on with the parent high longer and actually is more impressive with the wedge during the day Monday..as it keeps temps sub freezing even without precip into the afternoon. The euro appears to wrongly drive the surface low straight into the wedge which models often do..which ca uses instant doubts in its surface temps.

We need some damn cold air damming analysis from Lookout

Thanks.  I'll put Lookout's knowledge for cold air damming up against anyone, anywhere

The 12z Euro run was totally different than the 0z. The 12z is less amped and sends the low into sw NC then transfers to the coast. The 0z cut the low up through west central Tennessee, then into Ohio. I wouldn't mind seeing another shift like that at 0z.

Edit. Its also closer to the cmc Gfs camp than ukie with the 12z run.

The 12z Euro run was totally different than the 0z. The 12z is less amped and send the low into sw NC then transfer to the coast. The 0z cut the low up through west central Tennessee, then into Ohio. I would wouldn't mind seeing another shift like that at 0z.

this run is definitely a more significant event than 0z. 

Put me firmly in the camp that I think the OP Euro will correct southward over time. Not sure how much but that airmass is no joke. If QPF numbers hold, that is a horrible ice event waiting to happen. 

Yeah I think so too.  But if the Para falls and the EPS starts to show the northern route this afternoon I will really lose hope.  Can't have confidence in a GFS/Canadian combo versus the Euro/UKMET.

Archived