February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does NC look on those models?

Try this site out and take a look:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

Otherwise, pay attention to interstate references.  Armed with only a slight knowledge of geography, it's pretty easy to tell what all the major models have said overnight by reading the posts above.

Something I hadn't noticed before, but the models do all seem to want to develop a quasi -NAO for this time frame with some ridging in the North Atlantic reaching up into Greenland...trapping the PV somewhat in the NE.  Perhaps that ridging may trend stronger keeping the PV south and keeping us colder?  HM tweeted about it and I didn't notice it until now.  It's not strong by any means but maybe it'll work.  It seems like it's been trending the opposite direction so far though.  #wishcast

ZjuHpV2.png

and of course the 0z Euro op joins the ukmet. I will say that the majority of the Euro ensembles agree with previous op runs and not the cutter. Not gonna lie, that was a huge kick in the...

At 5h, it looked like the Euro Op was in between the UKMet and GFS/CMC camps.  At the sfc, it was closer to the end result of the UKMet of north and warmer as it amped up too strong at the last minute.

00z Euro Para was both flatter and colder than the 00z Euro Op with the NE vortex moving out quicker on the Op.  Latest GFS Para similar to Euro Para.

French model looks good with the sfc high at 102, with Pac wave setup not in the UKMet camp (image below)

06z GFS has that weak, light QPF look again.

I don't know here....probably give a slight lean to the more amped, warmer solution in the end, because that's how things roll a lot of times, and also, the speed of the storm has slowed a bit...but only a slight lean...lot of moving parts with the handling of the Pac to central US trough.

At 5h, it looked like the Euro Op was in between the UKMet and GFS/CMC camps. At the sfc, it was closer to the end result of the UKMet of north and warmer as it amped up too strong at the last minute.

00z Euro Para was both flatter and colder than the 00z Euro Op with the NE vortex moving out quicker on the Op. Latest GFS Para similar to Euro Para.

French model looks good with the sfc high at 102, with Pac wave setup not in the UKMet camp (image below)

06z GFS has that weak, light QPF look again.

I don't know here....probably give a slight lean to the more amped, warmer solution in the end, because that's how things roll a lot of times, and also, the speed of the storm has slowed a bit...but only a slight lean...lot of moving parts with the handling of the Pac to central US trough.

all three ensembles means are in good agreement with the upper low track and not implying a cutter. Infact, they look similar to last night's para. Unfortunately outlier cutter solutions seem to work out a lot.

Really interested in the Euro para since it's the only Euro we're going to have soon. It's been the most accurate, too.

FYP.

Not a wishcast- just hard truth. I don't know where to access it, but people have posted pictures of graphs showing model forecast accuracy, and the Euro Parallel has come out on top.

This doesn't guarantee it has the right idea, but it has been (from my observations) much more consistent with its track than other models have been. Definitely has potential for being a good storm in our area, we just need to wait and see.

all three ensembles means are in good agreement with the upper low track and not implying a cutter. Infact, they look similar to last night's para. Unfortunately outlier cutter solutions seem to work out a lot.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  Could go either way.  The low level baroclinic zone is going to be draped W to E across the deep south, so a more southerly track would make sense as long as the wave doesn't go bonkers.  Looks like the 06z GFS Para is rolling now. 

Something I hadn't noticed before, but the models do all seem to want to develop a quasi -NAO for this time frame with some ridging in the North Atlantic reaching up into Greenland...trapping the PV somewhat in the NE.  Perhaps that ridging may trend stronger keeping the PV south and keeping us colder?  HM tweeted about it and I didn't notice it until now.  It's not strong by any means but maybe it'll work.  It seems like it's been trending the opposite direction so far though.  #wishcast

Using Allan's AmWx trend loop feature on the GEFS, there has been little change for the NE vortex and any Greenland ridging to it's northeast over the past 3 runs.

Have the Para EPS ran yet?  If so, how do they look?  Thanks!

Has yet to update on Vista

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  Could go either way.  The low level baroclinic zone is going to be draped W to E across the deep south, so a more southerly track would make sense as long as the wave doesn't go bonkers.  Looks like the 06z GFS Para is rolling now

Has anyone seen the verification numbers on the GFS Para???

Raleigh's overnight write up

ARCTIC HIGH WILL RETREAT OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST ONMONDAY. A PROGRESSIVE SHORTWAVE TRACKING EASTWARD FROM THE CENTRALPLAINS MOVES WILL RESULT IN STRENGTHENING WARM MOIST ADVECTION INTOTHE REGION FROM THE WEST MONDAY-TUESDAY.  WITH ANTECEDENT ARCTICAIRMASS IN PLACE...STRONG WAA ALOFT INTO A INSITU WEDGE WOULD RESULTIN MIXED P-TYPE CONCERNS ACROSS THE CAROLINA PIEDMONT...WITH EARLYINDICATORS THAT THE CLIMATOLOGICALLY FAVORED AREA NW PIEDMONT COULDSEE A SIGNIFICANT ICING EVENT. RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL NC SHOULDCLOSELY MONITOR FORECAST TRENDS OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Could go either way. The low level baroclinic zone is going to be draped W to E across the deep south, so a more southerly track would make sense as long as the wave doesn't go bonkers. Looks like the 06z GFS Para is rolling now.

I think the key today is seeing where the ukie is. Gfs as usual will be late to the party as it's out of step with its ensembles.

Using Allan's AmWx trend loop feature on the GEFS, there has been little change for the NE vortex and any Greenland ridging to it's northeast over the past 3 runs.

yesterday's 12z has a similar look to other global ensembles, probably more of an I 95 as it's a little deeper farther west. Yesterday's 12z para was really amped tho.

Wright-Weather.com @MikeWDross 18m18 minutes ago

Still a long way out, but potential for #ice across the Carolina's, North Georgia early next week. @JimCantore

Ca2utm2XIAAELg2.jpg

guess everything west of the freezing rain will be snow, its just cold enough plus its hard to push the cold air out that is that deep and firmly entrenched.  read any where from 5 to 11 inches for the mtns.of nc, n. ga. and the extreme upstate

The canadian has always performed well with damming. It is also, by far, the coldest model at the surface. we start off at 23/3 on Monday 12z and never get any higher than the mid 20s region west of roughly highway 73 in NC and into the upstate of SC. 

Here are the Charlotte numbers on the Euro Para...

Mon 12z: 24/-1

Mon 18z: 30/13

Tues 00z: 30/23

Tues 06z: 27/27

Tues 12z: 29/29

Here are the Charlotte numbers on the Euro Para...

Mon 12z: 24/-1

Mon 18z: 30/13

Tues 00z: 30/23

Tues 06z: 27/27

Tues 12z: 29/29

I remember we all thought the canadian was out in left field for the last event with such cold temps at the surface. It'll be interesting to see if it verifies again as we move forward. Those are decent cold numbers on the para. 

I remember we all thought the canadian was out in left field for the last event with such cold temps at the surface. It'll be interesting to see if it verifies again as we move forward. Those are decent cold numbers on the para. 

I still think an amplified cutter is not the best solution here.  A wall-to-wall winter storm for most of the SE?  That might be pushing it too.

Yeah, recently it hasn't changed much.  But it has from earlier runs, trending more to the north.  The Sunday EURO is  below for the time period in question...that PV is really stuck far south in Maine! Now it's north of that into SE Canada.  That's when this storm was loaded with potential...now I just don't know.  Just a wish cast that the ridging gets stronger and the PV drifts a bit further south.

WMfTznn.png

Yeah, recently it hasn't changed much.  But it has from earlier runs, trending more to the north.  The Sunday EURO is  below for the time period in question...that PV is really stuck far south in Maine! Now it's north of that into SE Canada.  That's when this storm was loaded with potential...now I just don't know.  Just a wish cast that the ridging gets stronger and the PV drifts a bit further south.

Yeah, agree, was just looking at the Euro Ens runs...the NE vortex has trended farther NE, but has settled down in last 3 runs.

Archived