SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm wise, the GFS has improved in a big way.  A lot of precip on that run.  Complex setup with the cold air damming.  GFS takes a substantial shortwave across the Great Lakes and quickly kicks the sfc high off the NE coast.  However, with the initial cold airmass, it could be breaking things down too quick

00z GGEM is going to have a weaker system and more Wintry for the SE.

Maybe a bit more cold, snowier in the upstate to start.. ice pellets & snow through the central Midlands.

Wow, it is a nice storm I think for the most part.. crappy maps but may not be icy.

Edit: 850s bad for some. nvm.

what happened to NO WAY that high slides out, with the blocked up Atlantic? I remember reading that on here somewhere yesterday! 

Never been much of a signal to stop the high from sliding out....but it slides out at varying speeds depending on the model and run.  A few runs showing some N Atl ridging, but not many

I'm hoping for trends for more snow. Cause that Ice storm look up this way is nasty looking!

Well I just noticed the 850s raise.. tons of people (even CAE) 32F or lower based on these maps for duration.  Probably a Wintry mess for GSP, CLT, CAE.. waiting for higher-resolution maps.

Well I just noticed the 850s raise.. tons of people (even CAE) 32F or lower based on these maps for duration. Probably a Wintry mess for GSP, CLT, CAE.. waiting for higher-resolution maps.

I agree I could see the upstate getting in on a pretty long duration of every winter precip type. Temps just look borderline between All snow and a mixed bag.

It's interesting that the ukmet and Euro are so different. The euro almost completely flattens out the pacific wave once it comes ashore. The ukmet really keeps it rolling and drops it south into texas.

I think we need to be rooting for a flatter wave as the ukmet solution leads to a phased bomb over the mississippi river valley.  The ukmet is on it's own with this idea.  (though several GFS ensemble members have been showing this)

It's interesting that the ukmet and Euro are so different. The euro almost completely flattens out the pacific wave once it comes ashore. The ukmet really keeps it rolling and drops it south into texas.

I think we need to be rooting for a flatter wave as the ukmet solution leads to a phased bomb over the mississippi river valley. The ukmet is on it's own with this idea. (though several GFS ensemble members have been showing this)

Well you know these type setups around here are about as perfect for a very nasty Ice storm as we can get. I've seen it too many times. With that cold a wedge with warm 850s and that much moisture spells trouble!!

Archived