• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

Niner, that is one of the most typical corrections we see in the winter....a PV displaced far to the south and hanging around for a long time, showing promise for a winter storm, which then corrects farther to the north and moves out faster as we close in.  Why?  No real -NAO.  People say the -NAO isn't really all THAT important for SE winter storms.  Well, it IS important for keeping the PV slash 50/50 low in place farther south for a longer period of time, thus widening the window for a winter storm.

What do we have here?  A PV correcting north with time.  A PV pulling out quickly.  A weak (if at all) NAO ridge over top of it.  Fortunately, we have a very, very cold and dry air mass in place.  That should produce at least some front end wintry for some, assuming the wave out west can get here in time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niner, that is one of the most typical corrections we see in the winter....a PV displaced far to the south and hanging around for a long time, showing promise for a winter storm, which then corrects farther to the north and moves out faster as we close in.  Why?  No real -NAO.  People say the -NAO isn't really all THAT important for SE winter storms.  Well, it IS important for keeping the PV slash 50/50 low in place farther south for a longer period of time, thus widening the window for a winter storm.

What do we have here?  A PV correcting north with time.  A PV pulling out quickly.  A weak (if at all) NAO ridge over top of it.  Fortunately, we have a very, very cold and dry air mass in place.  That should produce at least some front end wintry for some, assuming the wave out west can get here in time.

I'm not in that people group   :)

At 5h, it looked like the Euro Op was in between the UKMet and GFS/CMC camps. At the sfc, it was closer to the end result of the UKMet of north and warmer as it amped up too strong at the last minute.

00z Euro Para was both flatter and colder than the 00z Euro Op with the NE vortex moving out quicker on the Op. Latest GFS Para similar to Euro Para.

French model looks good with the sfc high at 102, with Pac wave setup not in the UKMet camp (image below)

06z GFS has that weak, light QPF look again.

I don't know here....probably give a slight lean to the more amped, warmer solution in the end, because that's how things roll a lot of times, and also, the speed of the storm has slowed a bit...but only a slight lean...lot of moving parts with the handling of the Pac to central US trough.

Eps does not really support the Euro OP and it's wrapped up solution fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm learning that the hard way.  I was very gung ho about this time frame last week when that was modeled.  Looked great! but it trended away from really what I wanted to see.  That's essentially what I think is going to happen, a front end hit of something....then I don't know.  Hate having to rely on the cold hanging on when there's no high to lock it in, no matter how cold the air mass is.  This of course, is on the tail end of a cold period.  

Miller B look.

lol, well at least it's not a frontal passage! :arrowhead:

Nasty ice storm! Mtns can be rain, with a good wedge and the CAD regions get lights out!

Indeed.  Local ATL media mets are starting to post clown maps:  https://twitter.com/BradNitzWSB?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

On the bright side, Sunday is a Sunday and Monday is a holiday for many so hopefully few to none will be caught out in it.

The high is already in a big time retreat by then however.

True, but it's a step in the right direction.

Overall, not a bad run. It could be better with regards to the cold and high, as you mentioned, but I wouldn't mind this at all (but that may just be because I am in the 5" sweet spot on the clown map Packfan posted above  :snowing: ).

It looks like the Canadian is sticking to it's guns. If anything it holds the CAD in even longer and dampens the wave more. Don't have precip maps yet, but it might be lighter event, but colder.

Much better than showing a wound up cutter. IMO

Edit:

Ukmet is a phased monster again. It is really out on it's own with this solution.

It's a red flag, IMO, the the Canadian isn't showing a big phased storm.  Normally at this range, the Canadian loves to over amp stuff. I really believe the ukmet is going to be wrong on this one. We'll see...

It looks like the Canadian is sticking to it's guns. If anything it holds the CAD in even longer and dampens the wave more. Don't have precip maps yet, but it might be lighter event, but colder.

Much better than showing a wound up cutter. IMO

Edit:

Ukmet is a phased monster again. It is really out on it's own with this solution.

Good grief I really hope it stays on its own with that solution.

Archived