joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The front side of this is warm, so, GFS with the trailing separate piece is a better look, IMO....we've had a helluva time getting a wave to dig that far south though.

Very true grit... I sure wouldn't be surprised if that wave started trending north in future runs but right now the trend is south. Let's hope that stays... :)

The front side of this is warm, so, GFS with the trailing separate piece is a better look, IMO....we've had a helluva time getting a wave to dig that far south though.

It was almost a triple phaser but the Baja low gets vaporized before the trailing SW can catch it.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/navm.html?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=z500_vort&runtime=2015013018&fh=126&xpos=0&ypos=0

Fishel pretty much squashed the monday system and the thursday/friday system on the 5PM news...

Said the northern and southern stream phase and that spells rain.

The Monday system I can see, that is toast for us but surprised to hear about the Thursday/Friday system. Still a long way to go with that one.

The Monday system I can see, that is toast for us but surprised to hear about the Thursday/Friday system. Still a long way to go with that one.

Hell, the Monday system is basically toast for the Mid-Atlantic at this point.  I see no reason to throw away the Thursday/Friday system yet, though I would definitely lean towards rain at this point.

Sorry for the newbie question, but can you explain why we need a sharp ridge? I understand the tall part. Is it to help it dig as you mentioned, and not just slide over and never move south/southeast? Thanks!!

It helps with possible northern/southern stream interaction as far as energy goes. It helps storms phase over the south central US and bomb just off the east coast. Also helps facilitate cold, taller the ridge the deeper the cold in the SE as well. With a somewhat relaxed ridge we would get more of a progressive flow. This is just off the top of my head so maybe someone can add images to explain it better but for the SE we love +PNAs in just the right place with a split flow/southern steam undercutting.

It helps with possible northern/southern stream interaction as far as energy goes. It helps storms phase over the south central US and bomb just off the east coast. Also helps facilitate cold, taller the ridge the deeper the cold in the SE as well. With a somewhat relaxed ridge we would get more of a progressive flow. This is just off the top of my head so maybe someone can add images to explain it better but for the SE we love +PNAs in just the right place with a split flow/southern steam undercutting.

A Jon sighting! You know it's on like Donkey Kong now! Yeah that's right. You can have a tall ridge, but it can be tilted funny and mess everything up. You can also have a sort of tall rounded ridge. No good, usually. A lot of times when the ridge is very tall, it is sharp too, and that allows the northern stream wave to dive south. Get the placement right and you're in bidness!

A fast Pac flow can (and has done so most of the year) beat down the ridge. A flatter, shorter ridge keeps the northern stream farther north. Less chance of phasing and less cold air delivery into the SE.

Of course, a tall, sharp ridge isn't the be all end all. Blocking helps. Undercutting southern stream helps. Cold air on our side of the globe helps. It takes so many things going right to get a snowstorm, it's amazing we ever see one.

Fishel pretty much squashed the monday system and the thursday/friday system on the 5PM news...

Said the northern and southern stream phase and that spells rain.

Yeah, because the models have been great at getting things right a week out this winter, and they have not been trending better today at all for snow. He is making a safe bet based on what we have had so far this winter, but that is not to say that is what will happen this time. He is just being conservative and playing the odds right now because the winter has been awful so far.

Yeah, because the models have been great at getting things right a week out this winter, and they have not been trending better today at all for snow. He is making a safe bet based on what we have had so far this winter, but that is not to say that is what will happen this time. He is just being conservative and playing the odds right now because the winter has been awful so far.

lol  I doubt that conservatism is the driving force behind his forecast.  It looks pretty good to me based on what I see.

Archived