• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

Not sure how the 6z didn't turn out better. It had that backside energy digging into New Mexico. Just keeps a positive tilt the entire way. That just hasn't happened much this winter. I'm guessing 6z is a hiccup though with it digging that hard.

It would be nice if we could slow things down enough for that thing to amplify wouldn't it? If that happened, we'd have something.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if we could slow things down enough for that thing to amplify wouldn't it? If that happened, we'd have something.

This is one area where past systems are in our favor. They've tended over this winter not to be keeping too much of a positive tilt...of course there also hasn't been cold air in place so that probably has to do with the faster flow of the system. 

This is one area where past systems are in our favor. They've tended over this winter not to be keeping too much of a positive tilt...of course there also hasn't been cold air in place so that probably has to do with the faster flow of the system.

Over the past few weeks every potential system has trended deeper and further NW at this range. Without blocking progression is our friend. I would rather this miss wide right then get more rain.

The GFS and CMC were very close to a UK like solution.

That's a good point. Maybe we'll get lucky and have it amplify at just the right time. Hopefully.

00z GFS continues to slow down that southern energy...if it keeps up with this there is no doubt in my mind we'll see a big phased out system in the next couple of days on the models.

Would that mean more WAA? Probley a stupid question, but i know from the past we've done well with weak lows. But we had better blocking too an good Hp placement.

I don't think the trough is going to go negative in time to get the bomb but what's showing right now is better than anything we've had.

I wish the baja low wouldn't vaporize. There are 3 pieces of energy that try and phase at around 108'ish but the baja low washes out just before they come together. Still was close to something bigger.

We'd all like a big snow bomb, but IMO, the GFS shows what we want to see.  That is, we want to see the backside wave be the main event as opposed to the front side baja wave ejecting.  Sure, that means it will be weaker overall, but I just don't see that frontside action being cold enough.  Like rdu said, we want to see the backside wave just be a little stronger and go more neutral to negative.  Of course this is all just speculation given the timeframe.

I wish the baja low wouldn't vaporize. There are 3 pieces of energy that try and phase at around 108'ish but the baja low washes out just before they come together. Still was close to something bigger.

It really wouldn't take much for this to be a bigger deal.  Hopefully we get the right trends and not the bad ones...LOL.

I'd really like to see the ridge out west to pump up some so that the northern the energy digging south would do so further west.  It would give it more of a chance to negative sooner.

We'd all like a big snow bomb, but IMO, the GFS shows what we want to see.  That is, we want to see the backside wave be the main event as opposed to the front side baja wave ejecting.  Sure, that means it will be weaker overall, but I just don't see that frontside action being cold enough.  Like rdu said, we want to see the backside wave just be a little stronger and go more neutral to negative.  Of course this is all just speculation given the timeframe.

Very true. Good points. 

Looks to me like the GFS drops up to 3 inches of snow in Northern Ga.  I'll take this look right now.  I especially like the thermal profiles on the GFS.  As depicted, Northern Ga and Upstate, SC would not have to worry about midlevel or boundary layer temps.

Looks like the Charlotte area wouldnt either but we kinda struggle for QPF.

GFS has snow for ATL at 138.

Edit- BL temps are somewhat marginal, need the vort max to be a bit stronger, does not look to be a lot, but trend is encouraging. Still want to see Doc come on board, its a long way off.

I agree Cheez....The 0z euro had the northern energy further east and it didn't dig near as far south as the the gfs and cmc.  Hopefully that'll change at 12z.

Archived