CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess a lot of what falls verbatim in NC the CMC would be sleet but it's pointless arguing about that now lol....dynamic cooling all that jazz. 

I dunno.  Looking at 1000-500 mb and 850-700 mb thicknesses, they look okay after the changeover to me (at least for N NC).  The 1300 thickness line crashes pretty well as does the 540 line.  At hr 144 the 1300 line is just NW of GSO and by hr 150 its down past Fayetteville.  The 540 line is not as good, but still crashes towards GSO and 543s are down further south (which is often good enough in the South... sometimes even 546).

I don't know how good  the RaleighWx P-type calculator is, but it has quite a bit of sleet down around Fayetteville, NC and Florence, SC.

I don't think anyone is taking the CMC seriously. What it does show is the potential for that time period. What can happen if our energy comes together right as well as the cold. That's all we can hope for. Either way ears should be perking at the fact the GFS and CMC both have winter weather in the SE. Hopefully we can just beat the trend once this winter. 

I'm in...That's a foot for our backyard pack!  C'mon, one more time this winter for old time sake.

LOL, I don't think so.  Atleast it may be wet, I mean we haven't seen that this winter.  :underthewx:

On the plus side you have 2 models that generally agree on a winter storm next week in the SE, the bad news is they are the two worst models.

post-2311-0-90040200-1422638393_thumb.pn

I don't think anyone is taking the CMC seriously. What it does show is the potential for that time period. What can happen if our energy comes together right as well as the cold. That's all we can hope for. Either way ears should be perking at the fact the GFS and CMC both have winter weather in the SE. Hopefully we can just beat the trend once this winter. 

Yeah, the main thing is that most of the modeling shows verbatim snow for some in that period...  That's more than we can say for anything in the D7 timeframe up to this point in the winter.  Before, we were wishcasting storms north/south, saying 850s were too warm, etc.

It sounded like the GFS wasn't too far off, though.

The  12z GEFS is much faster with southern wave, no amplification, but there is a low off the coast.  The HP hasn't made it yet and thus it's to warm, similar to the Op.  

Edit:  The 6z GEFS had 2 out of 21 members that had snow in the SE, neither looked like the CMC.  I haven't looked at the Euro ENS from last night.

I agree burger...I'm not really taking the cmc seriously, just kidding around w/ pack.  I will say I've been watching this time/system and all have been close but it was nice to finally see a model show an actual storm.  The timing is going to have to be perfect though.  The good ole threading the needle type deal.

The 12z GEFS is much faster with southern wave, no amplification, but there is a low off the coast. The HP hasn't made it yet and thus it's to warm, similar to the Op.

Edit: The 6z GEFS had 2 out of 21 members that had snow in the SE, neither looked like the CMC. I haven't looked at the Euro ENS from last night.

IM more interested in the second vort diving behind the main system on the GFS . Clearly the GFS and GEFS are much faster moving the southern stream along vs the GGEM. But if the vort behind it can god a little more it might be interesting like the GFS showed. There is a LITTLE support for this senario on the 12z GEFS

Archived