Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Bernie :

good night sleep!...here is what come into foucs. As discussed yesterday the second piece of energy is the storm. Do I buy where the models are taking it..not a chance. Why would you? Do I know the exact track? well not yet, but I am working on it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

In other words..keep checking out my videos I'm loving the traffic to the site.

Larry Cosgrove was taken to the woodshed this winter. Absolutely horrific storm calls this winter, not even close, like this last one

Can't say I pay much attention to him but this winter has humbled many and the last 2-3 weeks has been a cruel joke.   Didn't hear many talking about a parade of cutters and warmth just 2 weeks ago...even JB's relegated to posting about getting the upper air pattern right and strange stuff about warm fronts in NC and other odds and ends that most don't really care about.

JB going coast to coast torch for summer-large area of +3 which covers this subforum.  Analogs are 1988, 1998, 2007, & 2010

I think that is underdone. I'm going with a monster torch with +5 or greater June and July. Not sure about August though.

JB going coast to coast torch for summer-large area of +3 which covers this subforum.  Analogs are 1988, 1998, 2007, & 2010

The combination of an El Niño that gives way to a La Niña along with a warm Atlantic has typically resulted in hot summers in the area. From the four cases you cited, 1988, 1998, and 2010 fall into that category. It's early, but should that Atlantic remain warm, which appears more likely than not, a summer 2° to 4° above normal would seem plausible. The worst case would probably be similar to the anomalies from an average of summers 1995 and 2010.

The combination of an El Niño that gives way to a La Niña along with a warm Atlantic has typically resulted in hot summers in the area. From the four cases you cited, 1988, 1998, and 2010 fall into that category. It's early, but should that Atlantic remain warm, which appears more likely than not, a summer 2° to 4° above normal would seem plausible. The worst case would probably be similar to the anomalies from an average of summers 1995 and 2010.

Hot and wet or hot and dry?

Would prefer hot and wet, better for my garden

• 1 month later...

FWIW, Accuweather now posts 90-day daily forecasts. Accuweather forecasts that New York City's first 80° day will be June 5 (high temperature of 81°).

The odds of waiting until June 5 for the first 80° reading are extremely small. In New York City, Since 1900, there has been only one case where the first 80° reading occurred in June: 1924 when the high temperature first reached 80° on June 7. Since 1900, NYC had seen no 80° or above readings through April in 35% of years. It had seen no 80° or higher temperatures through May in just 0.9% of years.

FWIW, Accuweather now posts 90-day daily forecasts. Accuweather forecasts that New York City's first 80° day will be June 5 (high temperature of 81°).

The odds of waiting until June 5 for the first 80° reading are extremely small. In New York City, Since 1900, there has been only one case where the first 80° reading occurred in June: 1924 when the high temperature first reached 80° on June 7. Since 1900, NYC had seen no 80° or above readings through April in 35% of years. It had seen no 80° or higher temperatures through May in just 0.9% of years.

I'm sure those are just GFS type computer generated figures....

I'm sure those are just GFS type computer generated figures....

I'm sure they are largely CFS-based numbers. Essentially useless numbers shouldn't be posted, as they provide no meaningful insight. That the posted numbers suggest a scenario that has almost no chance of verification speaks for itself.

I will verify the May/June AccuWx forecasts for New York City against the daily normal figures. For purposes of fun, I'll also verify numbers for constructed analogs based on winter ENSO/Western Atlantic SSTAs/Eastern Pacific SSTAs. I suspect that both the AccuWx and Analog figures will fare worse than the daily normals. The figures are as follows:

May:

May2016.jpg

June:

June_2016.jpg

In sum, the lack of skill for daily-level forecasts relative to climatology should show up.

• 2 weeks later...

accu long range minimums were near record high levels for May the other day when I checked...anyone with knowledge of the climate for this area could put out a 45 day forecast just as good or bad as accuwx...I haven't checked if they are right when it comes to precipitation on a given day...I wouldn't cancel an out door BBQ based on their forecast a week in advance...let alone a month or two...

• 3 weeks later...

Back in April, AccuWeather unveiled its 90-day forecasts. I took the numbers from the forecast issued on April 8 and am comparing those forecasts with climatology for New York City for May and June. After the first nine days of May, the numbers are very close. However, if the MOS forecasts through May 17 are reasonably accurate, climatology will move ahead of the AccuWeather 90-day forecasts for the May 1-17 period.

Accu_Climo05092016.jpg

Note: The numbers against which the AccuWeather 90-day forecast and climatology will be compared for May and June were posted on April 8 (http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39531-vendor-blog-and-tv-channel-forecasts-thread/?p=4082148).

Back in April, AccuWeather unveiled its 90-day forecasts. I took the numbers from the forecast issued on April 8 and am comparing those forecasts with climatology for New York City for May and June. After the first nine days of May, the numbers are very close. However, if the MOS forecasts through May 17 are reasonably accurate, climatology will move ahead of the AccuWeather 90-day forecasts for the May 1-17 period.

Accu_Climo05092016.jpg

Note: The numbers against which the AccuWeather 90-day forecast and climatology will be compared for May and June were posted on April 8 (http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39531-vendor-blog-and-tv-channel-forecasts-thread/?p=4082148).

Interesting but at this juncture I would say that it's more chance than anything else that they were close.  Long range modeling is often pretty bad.   Now granted if the sample size grows and it's close, then I would say they might be onto something.

Interesting but at this juncture I would say that it's more chance than anything else that they were close.  Long range modeling is often pretty bad.   Now granted if the sample size grows and it's close, then I would say they might be onto something.

I agree. I don't see the 90-day forecasts as being better than climo. We'll see what happens, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update...

Average Daily Error (May 1-17):

AccuWeather 90-day Forecast:

High Temperature: 7.8°

Low Temperature: 5.4°

Mean Temperature: 6.6°

Climatology:

High Temperature: 8.5°

Low Temperature: 3.7°

Mean Temperature: 6.1°

If the MEX MOS forecast through 5/25 is reasonably accurate, the difference between climatology and the AccuWeather 90-day forecast could widen.

Finally, FWIW, today's 90-day forecast shows no 90° days for NYC through August 15. Just as its forecast related to 80° days busted badly, the same outcome is extremely likely to occur with respect to the City's first 90° day. Since 1871, the latest date on which Central Park registered its first 90° temperature is July 26, 1877 (92°). The three latest dates for such a reading are as follows:

1. 7/26/1877: 92°

2. 7/15/1871: 91°

3. 7/12/1960: 91°

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived