joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coop should report about an inch ;)

7.25" final at 3,000ft.

They nailed this one.  I'm convinced with these dense wet snowfalls they do an accurate job of sampling usually.  Its those mid-winter fluff storms they can't seem to capture in that precip can.  But last night and this morning's pasting seems to have collected nicely for the Coop.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
523 PM EDT SAT APR 4 2015

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.66    48  10  13                7.0  87

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.29” L.E.

We had an inch of snow at the house today through 1:00 P.M., and another tenth after that which I’ll incorporate into tomorrow’s report.

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Below is the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen for this storm.  It seems that Smugg’s did well, reporting 10”, and I’m not seeing anything for accumulations south of Killington.

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 7”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

After a burst of heavier snow and a closer examination, looks like there is actually 2.5". Very pretty snowfall.

Wow, yeah we picked up another 2.75" at the 3,000ft snow board since 4pm yesterday...so storm total is up to 10" in the last 36 hours up here.  But down at the base we've only had 1.5" since 4pm yesterday.

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.05” L.E.

I thought all I’d be reporting for snow this morning was the additional 0.1” we got yesterday afternoon, but there was a fluffy 1.4” out there in the form of an Easter morning surprise.  Best I can tell from the BTV NWS forecast discussion from yesterday evening, this snow was from a cold frontal passage:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...

BRIEF RIDGING BETWEEN TWO SYSTEMS BUILDING IN FOR THE FIRST HALF OF TONIGHT WILL BRING MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES AND GRADUALLY SLACKENING WINDS THROUGH ABOUT MIDNIGHT OR SO FOR MOST. AFTERWARD...AN APPROACHING WEAK COLD FRONT WILL MOVE IN FROM THE NORTHWEST BRINGING AN INCREASE IN CLOUDS...SOME WEAK SOUTHERLY FLOW OUT AHEAD OF IT...AND CHANCES FOR SOME SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS...MAINLY IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN. FRONT WILL CROSS REGION FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST FROM 09Z-15Z WITH SHIFT BACK TO NORTHWEST WINDS.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 28.0

Snow Density: 3.6% H2O

Temperature: 27.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (5-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

I’ve updated the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for the past 36 hours – northern resorts are approaching the 1 foot mark, and a few of the southern resorts have come in with an inch or two.

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 11”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 8”

Mad River Glen: 9”

Sugarbush: 7”

Pico: 3.5”

Killington: 3.5”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 2”

Magic Mountain: 0.5”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 2”

Some decent squalls came through late this morning, conditions not even close to your neck of the woods PF, while only could find 4" above 2500' up here, the pack froze enough to make for a stable skiing.

the timelines of the snow pack showing more spring like effects now...

DSCN0500.jpg

our first robins bouncing around in the bare areas of the yard. 

Nice shots!

Skied mt Ellen today since it was the last for lift served operation. I usually find the most snow on the west northwest facing slope just below the ridge line. I was fully intending on staying up there and doing laps until I got tipped off to a powder stash below 2500' on a south facing trail. Went there and there was easily twice as much snow as there was up top for about 500' vertical. And it wasn't wind packed or drifts. Knee deep.

Some decent squalls came through late this morning, conditions not even close to your neck of the woods PF, while only could find 4" above 2500' up here, the pack froze enough to make for a stable skiing.

the timelines of the snow pack showing more spring like effects now...

DSCN0500.jpg

our first robins bouncing around in the bare areas of the yard.

Love that snowpack photo! The seasons layers are so cool this time of year, and you're right, it doesn't have that fluffy mushroom look anymore of winter, definitely a spring scene now.

But speaking of skiing, check out this shot from Smuggs over the weekend...we had some good stuff on this side of the mountain but this looks crazy on the otherside of the Notch:

Photo credit Dalton Harben:

11008620_979412588737811_649934038260797

Just cloudy here, though echoes upstream look decent - lot of dry air to push thru, however.

Took a snow core this afternoon, SWE up to 7.16", which is probably a tad above avg though 4" less than at the same time last year.  Pack remains solid, with a mid-level icy layer and 1.5-2" gray ice at the bottom, though the particles are larger than sugar grains and will ripen fairly quickly once temps top 50 for any duration.

We picked up 4" overnight. Weird wind distribution.

Hitman, maybe you can help clear this up...Sugarbush's report this morning again showed the same snowfall in the last 24 hours as it did yesterday morning, 4-3-2". No other snow fell in the area after Saturday night's, or very early yesterday's snow squalls.

Now it says 3" in the last 2 hours at mid mountain and summit, so I look at the Heaven's Gate cam and I would've thought 3" in 2 hours would look differently.

So the snow report is now showing 14" in the last 48 hours...? Did you guys get some ridiculous squalls down there or something to bring 7" in the last 24 hours? Mad River Glen hasn't had any new snow in the last 24 hours, so it seemed like a big difference.

Hitman, maybe you can help clear this up...Sugarbush's report this morning again showed the same snowfall in the last 24 hours as it did yesterday morning, 4-3-2". No other snow fell in the area after Saturday night's, or very early yesterday's snow squalls.

Now it says 3" in the last 2 hours at mid mountain and summit, so I look at the Heaven's Gate cam and I would've thought 3" in 2 hours would look differently.

image.jpg

So the snow report is now showing 14" in the last 48 hours...? Did you guys get some ridiculous squalls down there or something to bring 7" in the last 24 hours? Mad River Glen hasn't had any new snow in the last 24 hours, so it seemed like a big difference.

Their snow reports have been screwy all season. Best I can guess is that they got 7" Saturday when they reported 4", then another 4" overnight to get to the 11" they claimed in the 48 hour tally.

As for how much has fallen today, I'm working but my son is up there and it's been reportedly snowing hard up top. So maybe they picked a few inches today.

I ran into Atkinson yesterday. He had another baby over the summer and he said he and the infant have been sick all winter. I don't know if that has anything to do with the snow reports being all over the place. Could just be a coincidence. Not even sure he has anything to do with them anymore.

Their snow reports have been screwy all season. Best I can guess is that they got 7" Saturday when they reported 4", then another 4" overnight to get to the 11" they claimed in the 48 hour tally.

As for how much has fallen today, I'm working but my son is up there and it's been reportedly snowing hard up top. So maybe they picked a few inches today.

I ran into Atkinson yesterday. He had another baby over the summer and he said he and the infant have been sick all winter. I don't know if that has anything to do with the snow reports being all over the place. Could just be a coincidence. Not even sure he has anything to do with them anymore.

Yeah I don't think Atkinson has anything to do with it anymore either... I was just trying to see if I missed a snowfall in there somewhere, but what you described makes more sense. I just saw 3" Saturday, 4" Sunday, and another 4" this morning...which was where I couldn't figure it out as there was no mention of like 4" falling last night or yesterday during the day.

Archived