Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice snow. Thought id be confined to the groomers but the woods were good. Thin in spots. Friend i was skiing with hit a ditch getting back onto a trail and snapped both his ankles. Puts a damper on things.

How we looking for tuesday? I gotta figure out a criteria for deciding whether to come back up midweek since i have to be in ny monday and friday.

Ouch!!  Hopefully he will be weight bearing soon, I would think that would be totally debilitating.

Just when I was personally starting to turn the corner, the Old Man reels me back in.  ;)

Cold one this morning--down to 6F.

I was actually pretty far around the corner and still am, haha.  I'll never turn down snow, but the -20F wind chill up top and temps hovering around zero are definitely starting to get a little old, haha.

It seems to either be freezing, mid-winter cold, or like 50F+.  Why can't we just get a week of highs near 30-35F?  haha.

Anyway, some good squalls have moved through here leaving almost an inch of new snow this morning in the higher elevations. 

Have a snowy, but happy Saint Patrick's Day...

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.02” L.E.

There’s definitely a feeling of a return to normalcy in the air.  We were heading off to mass this morning and we pulled out of the garage into a steady light snow that was covering everything.  I hadn’t previously looked outside at all, or really looked at the forecast, so it was a total surprise and felt like the sort of event that comes out of nowhere.  The atmosphere in the winter around here generally seems like it wants to create snow if you give it the slightest inclination, and it’s not quite been in that mode the past couple of months, but it’s got that vibe right now.

Details from the 10:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 23.7 F

Sky: Flurries, Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Seems like a logical move.

Did you have the snow events listed before?  I recall the total but not the "itemized" version.  In looking at it, I can see it's been a Bath winter in Maine.  From 12/27 forward, you've gotten more snowfall than my place in every event except 2/27, a near-32 snowfall where being inland helped (as it did in the mid-December storms.) 

From this distance, looks like Tuesday's system may dump on both of us. 

Sorry for the late response. Yes, event list has been present in my signature since our first measurable snowfall. Been awfully lucky here this year with coastal fronts, etc. If not for the nearly 30'' from the blizzard, my snow totals would be meh.

Feeling really good about Tuesday. Looks as if we all get a decent Snowfall.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.02” L.E.

There’s definitely a feeling of a return to normalcy in the air.  We were heading off to mass this morning and we pulled out of the garage into a steady light snow that was covering everything. 

Picked up 1" of snow at the mountain so far this morning.

Nashville Vt!  yes, thanks Powderfreak.    

Cold air over preforming today.  Temp falling under mostly sunny skies.  Its a late Sept sun.  23.5F at 1:30pm 

By the way perhaps a show of Northern Lights tonight??

Nice AURBO pics on Mt Washington this morning.

Nice AURBO pics on Mt Washington this morning.

Nice METARs too from this morning

KMWN 171157Z 31053KT 3SM OVC002 M22/M25 RMK CAP CLOUD OHD EDGES BLO STA LIMITING VIS TO 3SM BLSN BLO STA ALQDS INTMT FZFG SUN DMLY VSBL 70001 4/025 11186 21225

KMWN 171051Z 31049KT 1/16SM FZFG VV001 M22/M22 RMK FZFG INTMT

KMWN 170952Z 31041KT 120SM BKN/// FEW001 FEW005 FEW250 M22/M27 RMK TPS LWR BKN060 AURBO

KMWN 170857Z 30043KT 120SM BKN/// FEW250 M21/M27 RMK TPS LWR BKN060 AURBO

KMWN 170759Z 30035KT 120SM SCT/// FEW/// FEW250 M20/M27 RMK TPS LWR SCT060 BBLO FEW DSNT W AURBO

Sorry for the late response. Yes, event list has been present in my signature since our first measurable snowfall. Been awfully lucky here this year with coastal fronts, etc. If not for the nearly 30'' from the blizzard, my snow totals would be meh. Feeling really good about Tuesday. Looks as if we all get a decent Snowfall.

Thanks - guess I wasn't paying attention.

Looking like widespread 10-15" with some areas higher for our general region, with more of a midwinter than near-spring character.  Haven't had that kind of March storm since 2005.

I like 12-16" for you and most of VT on the eastern slopes of the spine. 8-12" NEK. 10-14" Champlain Valley/western slopes/immediate CT river valley.

Not going to lie, I'm stoked for a storm but my conservative/cautious mentality is holding with 7-12" here and across the northern half of Vermont...with a 10-16" stripe being the jackpot from like the VT/MA border up to Killington then over through Dendrite & Lakes area and then up through most of Maine.

These secondary developing systems always give me pause to go big.  If its a little slower deepening, or weaker and not as wrapped up, we won't get the better lift and associated QPF back this way as the low hits our latitude in the Gulf of Maine.

Not going to lie, I'm stoked for a storm but my conservative/cautious mentality is holding with 7-12" here and across the northern half of Vermont...with a 10-16" stripe being the jackpot from like the VT/MA border up to Killington then over through Dendrite & Lakes area and then up through most of Maine.

These secondary developing systems always give me pause to go big.  If its a little slower deepening, or weaker and not as wrapped up, we won't get the better lift and associated QPF back this way as the low hits our latitude in the Gulf of Maine.

The NAM is on its own....that solution would be like 4-8"/6-10"...every other model spits out 1"+ with most closer to 1.2-1.4". My 12-16" was on the mountatin btw haha

The NAM is on its own....that solution would be like 4-8"/6-10"...every other model spits out 1"+ with most closer to 1.2-1.4". My 12-16" was on the mountatin btw haha

Haha, ahhh... yeah my 3000ft snow board should have no issues getting to 12"+.  Likely to happen at the 1,500ft one, too. 

I'm less bullish for down here under 1,000ft towards the village, though NE winds can actually do some cool convergence here locally.  The Worcester Range (3,000-3,600ft ridgeline) that makes up town's eastern border, and the Mansfield/Spine which makes up the western border, both are orientated in a SSW-NNE axis.  I've seen NE winds funnel between the two (right down the RT 100 corridor) and cause a local convergence area... very similar but smaller scale of Champlain Valley convergence with a wind out of the north or northeast.

If I can get some moisture and low level winds to rip north to northeast, sometimes I can get that funneling to set up a convergence band between the ridgelines here at home.

Just got in from a blustry but fine day out on skis.  Bullish forecasts!

Kind of off topic but as of 6pm the K index for solar activity is 6, solar storm.  So after dark there is a good chance of Aurora.  Moon is around a quarter so not too much impact.

Sounds good and thanks for the tip.  Been a long time since I've seen the Lights.  Our view to the north here isn't great but a few minute's walk out into the field yields a much better sky in that direction.

Kind of off topic but as of 6pm the K index for solar activity is 6, solar storm.  So after dark there is a good chance of Aurora.  Moon is around a quarter so not too much impact.

The Kp of 6 coincided with sustained negative Bz values (see below). Now that it's more neutral, the odds of northern lights plummets.

Kp of 6 usually isn't visually interesting unless you have a camera to do longer exposures.   I'll take a few photos when it's darker... I'm sure there will be some faint green arcs.

Mag_24h.gif

BTV's map... winter storm watch out.

I generally try to archive the BTV Storm Total Snow Forecast maps here and for my weather pages, and after a quick look back, I haven’t seen one this year with that much 14-18” color spread up in this area:

17MAR13B.jpg

Winter Storm Watches are up everywhere on the BTV advisories map except the far west out toward the lakes:

17MAR13A.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 172013

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

413 PM EDT SUN MAR 17 2013

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-181000-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.A.0002.130319T0400Z-130320T1200Z/

NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CLINTON-

SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-

WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-GRAND ISLE-

WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-

CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-

WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-

EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH...

STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...

LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM...

GOUVERNEUR...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT...

ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...

MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...

RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...

RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...

KILLINGTON

413 PM EDT SUN MAR 17 2013

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...9 TO 16 INCHES OF SNOW.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY TUESDAY

AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

* TIMING...SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AROUND OR AFTER MIDNIGHT

MONDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT ON ANY UNTREATED ROADS

EARLY TUESDAY MORNING AND CONTINUING INTO TUESDAY NIGHT AND

EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. GUSTY SOUTH AND SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS

COMBINED WITH HEAVY SNOW COULD BRING DOWN TREE LIMBS AND PRODUCE

SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES.

* WINDS...SOUTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE HALF MILE OR LESS IN SNOW LATE MONDAY NIGHT

AND TUESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

WGH

I checked our point forecast and it’s pretty impressive – with that 10-20” summed through Tuesday night followed by more periods of snow:

• Monday Night A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after 1am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 23. Southeast wind 7 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Snow. High near 35. Breezy, with a southeast wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Night Snow. Low around 21. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 32. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
  • Wednesday Night Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 16. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • Thursday Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 29. South wind 3 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • Thursday Night Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Friday Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Light north wind becoming northwest 12 to 17 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • Friday Night Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Northwest wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Snowfall is current 32 inches behind average here, but this week could really help move it along if the forecast is correct.

Archived