• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

Awesome Organizing Low... how much so far dude?

it looks like we picked up anywhere between 7-9 inches in about 3.5 hours (ridiculous for here!), before that it was just wet snow with a dusting. now just SN- falling

i do wish i was in VT for this evenings snow.....looks like even the CPV is getting in on the action....but i had to be back in ottawa for this weekend. i'll be back in VT on tuesday.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it looks like we picked up anywhere between 7-9 inches in about 3.5 hours (ridiculous for here!), before that it was just wet snow with a dusting. now just SN- falling

i do wish i was in VT for this evenings snow.....looks like even the CPV is getting in on the action....but i had to be back in ottawa for this weekend. i'll be back in VT on tuesday.

Awesome!!

mike look at the radar to your NW the snow line is starting to sag a bit SE ....or give hints at it...still looks like a good hour or more away?

I cant' make it out on my radar...what are you looking at?

I laughed when I read this because it's such an ambiguous subjective observation, but I know exactly what you mean! That point when it's coming down so fast that you can see the difference in a short period of time; it's cool to see

Haha yeah that burst put down just about an inch in 20 minutes... its tapered off now to just a steady moderate... looks like there's about 2" outside here in town so far.

scott how is the precip movement setting up w/ the arrival of the cold air aloft. not holding you over the coals. but you think there may be some decent precip left for elevated interior of mass for a few inches over to say socks.....like MPM to socks?

There could be a brief burst at the end there...but the dryslot wants to race in as soon as the cold air gets in place.

scott how is the precip movement setting up w/ the arrival of the cold air aloft. not holding you over the coals. but you think there may be some decent precip left for elevated interior of mass for a few inches over to say socks.....like MPM to socks?

I don't expect much for those guys, but maybe they can grab a couple of inches. Just a little too far south. But if some band develops or they get a little back building...it's possible they could grab a bit more. I wouldn't count on that right now, though.

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.26” L.E.

I left Burlington a bit after 4:00 P.M. today, and it was snowing with about an inch on the ground. The snow was coming down pretty heavily in the I-89 area of Williston, and then as is often the case, Richmond was a total hole in the action, with much lighter snowfall and what looked like less than an inch on the ground. That dearth of snow actually continued through to Jonesville, and once I got to Bolton the snowfall was back up in intensity, with roughly ¼ mile visibility as we passed through the spine and ¼ to ½ mile visibility east of the spine in Waterbury. Travel had been OK up to that point, but the roads were starting to take on some accumulation as of ~5:00 P.M. I found about an inch of snow on my car at the Waterbury Park and Ride, and 1.8 inches on the snowboard here at the house as of 6:00 P.M. observations. The snow didn’t seem wet, but it was extremely dense, coming in at 14.4% H2O. At the time there was some very heavy snowfall coming down with some big granular flakes in the mix, so I’m sure something akin to those granular flakes added to the density. Soon after that, the precipitation switched over to big, fluffy flakes, and on the radar I saw some bursts of precipitation up to 45 db off to the west:

24FEB12B.gif

The current NWS point forecast for this location calls for 7 to 13 inches through Saturday, with some additional snow Saturday night, so we’ll see where things end up.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.9

Snow Density: 14.4% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Snow (1 - 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

ok last question ....serious thou cause i'm driving in like in hour

i'll be about 20 miles N. of socks in francestown, nh at croteched mtn.....are they in the same boat as MPM/socks w/ dryslot and maybe a lucky inch or should i prepare for a bit more

serious question thou and thanks...not expecting perfection...just wondering what "could" happen given this dynamic system unfolding and being on the road

Did you pick up measureable (.2"?) this morning? I'm going to guess no.

Nope...just got a coating that goes down as a trace...frustrating bust...but it happens. Not the first time and it won't be the last. Dry air killed us more than models indicated...we had like 3 hours of virga...was only expecting maybe an hour or so. HRRR handled it the best, but even that was still too robust for us as it indicated an inch or so on most runs.

ok last question ....serious thou cause i'm driving in like in hour

i'll be about 20 miles N. of socks in francestown, nh at croteched mtn.....are they in the same boat as MPM/socks w/ dryslot and maybe a lucky inch or should i prepare for a bit more

serious question thou and thanks...not expecting perfection...just wondering what "could" happen given this dynamic system unfolding and being on the road

They aren't much better, but maybe a better shot at 2-3"?

Nope...just got a coating that goes down as a trace...frustrating bust...but it happens. Not the first time and it won't be the last. Dry air killed us more than models indicated...we had like 3 hours of virga...was only expecting maybe an hour or so. HRRR handled it the best, but even that was still too robust for us as it indicated an inch or so on most runs.

I was surprised how dry it was for our area. Oh well, what are you gonna do.

Yup...it was frustrating. I woke up again at 7 and made a ray-like post complaining about this winter and then went back to bed until like 11:30 :lol:. HRRR did decent I thought. It had a few runs giving us less then .5". Hopefully the 2/29 event works out.

My 4:0op.m. forecast had 4-8". I ended up with 4-8 flakes. Alas.

thanks MPM!

zr looks pretty sweet too....

Not, really, but thanks for saying so. :)

Archived