Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

WOWowow

woke up this morning and saw the delay in snow, and took off for ottawa around 8am for the weekend. there was ZERO snow on the ground all the way from where i am in vermont straight past montreal.

got into ottawa around 11am and the snow was just starting....very mild around 32F, thought this is going to be nothing.

around an hour ago headed out to costco for a minute, saw a band organzinign on radar before i left.....just drove back....insane snow rates out there, must be 3-4+ inches /hr, don't think i've ever seen it snow this hard in ottawa except in 93 and 07 march storms.

total and complete whiteout, just dumping..couldnt see more than 25 feet driving all the way back, felt like I was in a lake effect zone.

was not expecting this with the lack of cold air around....just shocked!

i have NEVER seen all my north facing windows here at my parents home snowed over completely....i cant see anything.

here is a downtown traffic cam, just wanted to share :)

post-149-0-39207000-1330114432.jpg

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOWowow

woke up this morning and saw the delay in snow, and took off for ottawa around 8am for the weekend. there was ZERO snow on the ground all the way from where i am in vermont straight past montreal.

got into ottawa around 11am and the snow was just starting....very mild around 32F, thought this is going to be nothing.

around an hour ago headed out to costco for a minute, saw a band organzinign on radar before i left.....just drove back....insane snow rates out there, must be 3-4+ inches /hr, don't think i've ever seen it snow this hard in ottawa except in 93 and 07 march storms.

total and complete whiteout, just dumping..couldnt see more than 25 feet driving all the way back, felt like I was in a lake effect zone.

i have NEVER seen all my north facing windows here at my parents home snowed over completely....i cant see anything.

Looking at WV, I'm not shocked. You are in the sweet spot.

WOWowow

that is impressive bro, take pics

Looking at WV, I'm not shocked. You are in the sweet spot.

thats crazy Scott....thanks for the info.

i was not expecting anything like this.....the north face windows are now clearing off a bit as the heat from the house passes the snow rate....and it looks like the entire side of the house was sprayed with a snowgun as i peek through.

im gonna try and head out and take some pics....what a pleasant surprise, and a nice mini-rush too. :)

ALY just got reports of small hail, so I wouldn't be surprised either. And considering the wet bulbs are above freezing in southern NH, it probably is small hail rather than sleet.

Well then that was the longest lasting hailstorm I've experienced, haha. Hardly any raindrops didn't really get wet being outside.

Well then that was the longest lasting hailstorm I've experienced, haha. Hardly any raindrops didn't really get wet being outside.

It's a fine line in these situations. Technically sleet needs to refreeze, and with surface temps at or above freezing that can be difficult. It may be a case of some wet bulb cooling as it falls through a not totally saturated column, or it could be actual hail that was frozen aloft and continued that way to the ground.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Our latest, for your viewing pleasure.

I was looking at a topographical map earlier and it seemed to fit perfectly with that big circle of 1-2 centered around CON. Seems like I've noticed that more this year than last year, funny how elevation comes into play much more some years than others in certain areas. Maybe it was there last winter too but just didn't take notice due to the fact it was the difference between 8-12 and 10-12 while this year its been white ground vs brown.

It's a fine line in these situations. Technically sleet needs to refreeze, and with surface temps at or above freezing that can be difficult. It may be a case of some wet bulb cooling as it falls through a not totally saturated column, or it could be actual hail that was frozen aloft and continued that way to the ground.

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I am usually the one telling people i know who say "there was hail earlier after it stopped snowing" that its actually sleet and not hail.

I was looking at a topographical map earlier and it seemed to fit perfectly with that big circle of 1-2 centered around CON. Seems like I've noticed that more this year than last year, funny how elevation comes into play much more some years than others in certain areas. Maybe it was there last winter too but just didn't take notice due to the fact it was the difference between 8-12 and 10-12 while this year its been white ground vs brown.

Yes, that is intentional. The low level warmth can easily flood into those areas of southern NH in these SWFE situations.

Funny thing is that it's not all that different than the map I made a couple days ago, just shifted forward about 12 hours.

Yeah, Like the one i just sent you, Pretty similar

Not bad for Dryslot. Hopefully he gets clocked with a developing band in the west side. Kinda close.

Thanks scott, We had talked about it earlier that i was on the fence, We will see how it goes tonight, Should be fun watching it unfold on radar..

Archived