joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Good

-Satisfactory coverage of moderate snowfall potential through CPA (between I80 and I76)

-Satisfactory coverage of mix potential across Southern forecast area

-Okay coverage of dry air through SE part of the state

-Pretty good forecast for NW PA (despite models bringing in high end 6+ amounts I went 3-5)

-Satisfactory coverage of moderate amounts through Pocono's

The Bad

-Poor forecast of snow amounts for NE PA

-Should have went even less along the immediate NW PA border (2" amounts there)

-Should have went 3-6 instead of 3-5 through CPA

The Ugly

-Snowfall through the Laurels not right (can't believe they barely made an inch???)

-Extreme ice that was modeled and eventually foecasted by my was wrong. Not like the models to overdo mid level warmth...usually its the other way around

-Snowfall in extreme NE PA not forecasted correctly...thought that region would be one of the areas with lower amounts.

-Should have higher amounts of snowfall below the turnpike in SC PA

Personal Grade C+

Would have liked to have done better.

Should have stuck with my primary thoughts of more sleet than FZRA but bought into the models last sec BS.

Got a good 3 hours of sledding in next to the stadium. Pretty big hill, and there weren't a ton of people there surprisingly. Our "borrowed" commons trays served us well.

Haha, I never thought about that during football season..some of those fields that get used for parking between Beaver stadium and Mt Nittany med center would make great hills for sledding. Given last night was a Friday night I'm sure it was a pretty epic night around campus/town.

From Patriot News

Joe Paterno is not dead.

That's about as blunt as it gets, as sources close to the Paterno family say that the family is tremendously upset with CBS Sports and other news media who have erroneously reported Paterno's passing.

As the family has gathered by the legendary coach's side in Mount Nittany Medical Center, the 85-year old coach is still conscious and able to communicate, sources said.

An earlier report that Paterno had been taken off breathing support by the family is also completely false, sources said.

As reports of Paterno's serious condition spread around campus, students have begun to gather at the Paterno statue outside Beaver Stadium.

After Paterno was fired on Nov. 9, in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, students had gathered outside his modest ranch house. But Saturday night, State College police put up barricades at the entrance to McKee Street, where Joe and Sue Paterno's home is located.

From Patriot News

Joe Paterno is not dead.

That's about as blunt as it gets, as sources close to the Paterno family say that the family is tremendously upset with CBS Sports and other news media who have erroneously reported Paterno's passing.

As the family has gathered by the legendary coach's side in Mount Nittany Medical Center, the 85-year old coach is still conscious and able to communicate, sources said.

An earlier report that Paterno had been taken off breathing support by the family is also completely false, sources said.

As reports of Paterno's serious condition spread around campus, students have begun to gather at the Paterno statue outside Beaver Stadium.

After Paterno was fired on Nov. 9, in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, students had gathered outside his modest ranch house. But Saturday night, State College police put up barricades at the entrance to McKee Street, where Joe and Sue Paterno's home is located.

OT was he a smoker?

i didnt think so but was curious?

OT was he a smoker?

i didnt think so but was curious?

I don't know if he smoked but found this article.

Because Joe Paterno didn't have a history as a smoker of tobacco, some experts are convinced that his lung cancer was caused by some outside environmental influence; most likely radon gas.

http://www.prlog.org...use-cancer.html

..A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON

TO 8 AM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A

FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS

AFTERNOON TO 8 AM EST MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN AND CENTRAL MOUNTAINS...LAUREL

HIGHLANDS...AND THE SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...RANGING FROM A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH...TO AS

MUCH AS TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH ON SOME OF THE EAST FACING SLOPES

OF THE RIDGES.

* TIMING...LATE TODAY THROUGH THE MID MORNING HOURS MONDAY.

* IMPACTS...AREAS OF DANGEROUS BLACK ICE WILL FORM ON UNTREATED

ROADS...AND SIDEWALKS. BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL BE THE FIRST

TO FREEZE UP.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH IN THE VALLEYS...INCREASING TO AND

10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 25 MPH ON THE RIDGE TOPS.

* TEMPERATURES...NEARLY STEADY IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...MAINLY BETWEEN 3 AND 5 MILES...EXCEPT DOWN TO

AROUND 2 MILES IN AREAS OF FOG LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY.

Yes, just how bad could this set up be, as temps have not been above freezing since thursday, any comments?

I'm sure there will be some trouble spots tonight into tomorrow morning. Luckily most roads have a layer of salt residue remaining, that should help us out.

This winter blows... All I want is a nice coastal storm, probably have to wait to late February if at all

Really? No more than 24 hours after a storm that pretty much gave everyone a 'moderate' accumulation of snow, a Freezing Rain warning tonight and you're pissing and moaning about snow already?

Give it a temporary rest.

Archived