• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread

Really? No more than 24 hours after a storm that pretty much gave everyone a 'moderate' accumulation of snow, a Freezing Rain warning tonight and you're pissing and moaning about snow already?

Give it a temporary rest.

In 2007, right in the middle of snow events, with moderate-heavy snow falling outside, people were posting how bad the winter was.

It makes people look like idiots or psychos or both.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It pains me to know that this beautiful 8-10 inch snowpack that has built up here from the clipper and yesterdays storm is going to get rained on tomorrow. Folks in the central and north should be able to hang onto the majority of their snow though I think. After temps eventually get above freezing at some point tomorrow morning they're likely not going to go far until the rain moves out prior to the frontal passage as is usual with these setups. Probably won't see alot of snow melt until that mini torch just before the front where the winds really pick up and mix down the warm air aloft. Then the rest of the week won't be too overly bad until we deal with whatever the end of the week system decides to do.

Not looking forward to the ZR threat tonight, secondary roads are going to be a mess.

It pains me to know that this beautiful 8-10 inch snowpack that has built up here from the clipper and yesterdays storm is going to get rained on tomorrow. Folks in the central and north should be able to hang onto the majority of their snow though I think. After temps eventually get above freezing at some point tomorrow morning they're likely not going to go far until the rain moves out prior to the frontal passage as is usual with these setups. Probably won't see alot of snow melt until that mini torch just before the front where the winds really pick up and mix down the warm air aloft. Then the rest of the week won't be too overly bad until we deal with whatever the end of the week system decides to do.

Not looking forward to the ZR threat tonight, secondary roads are going to be a mess.

Lots of us are going to the candlelight vigil at the JoePa statue here tonight at 8. Is the ZR going to be falling by then or will it hold off till later tonight?

We are in a zr advisory, but the forecast doesn't match too well.

Today

Cloudy with a chance of freezing drizzle. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight

Cloudy with a chance of light freezing rain. A chance of drizzle with patchy freezing drizzle in the evening...then a chance of light rain after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Monday

Light rain likely with a chance of light freezing rain in the morning...then periods of rain in the afternoon. Not as cool with highs in the mid 40s. Southeast winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Monday Night

Mostly cloudy. Periods of rain in the evening. Lows in the lower 30s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

That rain and temps in the 40s aren't good for our fresh snow. :(

Lots of us are going to the candlelight vigil at the JoePa statue here tonight at 8. Is the ZR going to be falling by then or will it hold off till later tonight?

I think if anything there will perhaps be a bit of freezing drizzle around that time or a bit later. Other than that, heavier precip shouldn't be a concern.

Light snow/frz drizzle mix. Does anyone else have a bad feeling about tonight, it could get ugly. 26.6* here.

Fortunately there won't be alot of QPF with this system, and the bulk of it probably doesn't come through until temps are on their way above freezing. You could be at/below freezing for awhile up that way. The treated primary roads shouldn't be too bad, but i'd watch the secondary roads that may not have been treated as much and also still have some patches of snow. How much snow did you end up with yesterday?

12z Euro does look fairly decent for the end of the week.. at the moment. This storm is going to be another installment of let's see if we can get cold air in on time from the northern branch for the southern wave. We haven't had any luck with that wretched setup yet this winter so we shall see how it goes this time.

You know it surprises me how many people just stare at the numerical modeling and regurgitate what is calculated. These types of situations that we are presently experiencing and/or anticipating are very dangerous for the very reason stated above.....oh there's not much QPF with temps below freezing. Freezing drizzle is possibly one of the worst, if not the worst, winter wx condition as modern transports and unsuspecting humans take the minimal precip as "no big deal" and that lackadaisical attitude can possibly place oneself in a dire predicament. Just my opinion.....

You know it surprises me how many people just stare at the numerical modeling and regurgitate what is calculated. These types of situations that we are presently experiencing and/or anticipating are very dangerous for the very reason stated above.....oh there's not much QPF with temps below freezing. Freezing drizzle is possibly one of the worst, if not the worst, winter wx condition as modern transports and unsuspecting humans take the minimal precip as "no big deal" and that lackadaisical attitude can possibly place oneself in a dire predicament. Just my opinion.....

absolutely right

Let me reclarify.. since this was likely at least partially directed at my previous posts. When I say fortunately there's not alot of QPF, I meant that in regard to it being an event that could be something that affects trees, powerlines, etc. I'm very well aware this is a dangerous situation possibly setting up later this evening.

Same here man, still 25.8*......light mist falling, kinda slick. Will this precip. pick up at all overnight??

Likely will stay the same for the most part overnight, as the southeasterly flow increases you might see an increase in the intensity of the freezing drizzle. Heavier rain as mentioned earlier will likely come when the temps are getting just above freezing, though its probably gonna be close up your way and it'll probably won't go up very much while the rain shield goes through. Certainly be careful walking or driving if you've been seeing the freezing drizzle this eve.

The low clouds are making for some spectacular pictures coming out of State College as they have all the Beaver Stadium lights on:

post-1507-0-33704200-1327292772.jpg

(This particular pic was taken by Philip MacKenzie, saw it shared on my f-book)

I hope someone at the NWS office gets some pictures from their vantage point, as they have a great view of the stadium.

Also liked this:

post-1507-0-94378200-1327292947.jpg

Archived