Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intellicast radar actually starting to show a bit of a retreat south in the ice/snow line in the Pit area. Makes me wonder if as the low slides by and sags the rest of the shield through that it may in fact change some of the metro area back over to snow.

I can confirm that snowflakes are mixing back in here in Pittsburgh. Granted it is in Shady Side which is the higher spot in the city, but still.

I can confirm that snowflakes are mixing back in here in Pittsburgh. Granted it is in Shady Side which is the higher spot in the city, but still.

That's good to hear, hopefully some of the pgh-ers that went to bed disgruntled about the faster than expected turn to mixed will wake up to a bit of a surprise.

I am in Emsworth, right on the Ohio River basically, and big flakes are mixing in. There was a discussion posted in the Pittsburgh thread that said that inch per hour rates could develop later on tonight, and I am hoping this is the start of that. If the last 3 hours of this can really thump snow it would make up for the terribly quick changeover.

I am in Emsworth, right on the Ohio River basically, and big flakes are mixing in. There was a discussion posted in the Pittsburgh thread that said that inch per hour rates could develop later on tonight, and I am hoping this is the start of that. If the last 3 hours of this can really thump snow it would make up for the terribly quick changeover.

I think you got a fighting chance of salvaging something. It seems that the nose of the best WAA is starting to push east as the low slides past underneath and it won't take much to get the column cooled back to allow for all snow. I'm surprised that ZR had even been observed up around Pittsburgh. The 925mb layer has been well below freezing this entire event there, and there was only a thin intrusion of somewhat above freezing temps in a thin layer around 850mb.

I think you got a fighting chance of salvaging something. It seems that the nose of the best WAA is starting to push east as the low slides past underneath and it won't take much to get the column cooled back to allow for all snow. I'm surprised that ZR had even been observed up around Pittsburgh. The 925mb layer has been well below freezing this entire event there, and there was only a thin intrusion of somewhat above freezing temps in a thin layer around 850mb.

I think we really only saw a little bit...I only have a very light glaze, and a pretty heavy sleet accumulation. I think exactly that reason is why KPIT has a forecast of 2-4 inches of sleet tonight, which I have never seen here. We are usually either Snow, or Freezing Rain.

I do remember once though, when I was a kid, we had a storm with just slow and sleet all day, and I remember thinking, "man, if this was all snow, it would be alot of it!" I didn't mind at the time because the 2 inches of sleet was better for sled riding, haha. Anyways though, at the end of the event, it finally turned over to snow, and it was HEAVY snow, like an inch or two per hour rates..I hope that happens here.

2.75" at 3:30AM. We'll probably average about 1/2" per hour over the next hour or two, since there's nothing too impressive on the radar any time soon.

2.9" at 4AM. We might only be 3.0" by 4:30AM, but if the radar is any guide, it should pick back up to an inch an hour or so thereafter.

Snowing the hardest its snowed all event. Large snowflakes and clearly a higher ratio snow as its piling up fast. Radar upstream stabilizing the bottom of the shield and looks to continue to funnel heavier snow into this corridor. CTP just did a hindsight upgrade to their grids for the Altoona area as well as here.. now 4-7 inches total. Already 4" or over at this point. Looks like the stripe between I-80 and US 22 might be where jackpot amounts reside for this storm.

I think we really only saw a little bit...I only have a very light glaze, and a pretty heavy sleet accumulation. I think exactly that reason is why KPIT has a forecast of 2-4 inches of sleet tonight, which I have never seen here. We are usually either Snow, or Freezing Rain.

I do remember once though, when I was a kid, we had a storm with just slow and sleet all day, and I remember thinking, "man, if this was all snow, it would be alot of it!" I didn't mind at the time because the 2 inches of sleet was better for sled riding, haha. Anyways though, at the end of the event, it finally turned over to snow, and it was HEAVY snow, like an inch or two per hour rates..I hope that happens here.

Thats a nice band thats getting ready to drop into town. If its all snow it could get things back on track.

Sure enough, 3.0" at 4:30 AM. Radar to the west looking better and better, though, so rates should pick up again.

3.1" at 5:00AM. Thankfully, that should be the last crappy hour. Echos to the west look like we'll be over 1"/hr rates for a while between about 5:30 and maybe 7AM. We might get two inches in that period. I sure hope so!

3.1" at 5:00AM. Thankfully, that should be the last crappy hour. Echos to the west look like we'll be over 1"/hr rates for a while between about 5:30 and maybe 7AM. We might get two inches in that period. I sure hope so!

3.3" at 5:30AM. A little better. This radar stuff is frustrating--holes keep appearing just to our west. Meanwhile, a very heavy band has been raging 20 miles to my south.

Unusual for radar at this point in a storm - more like you'd expect before air gets saturated here - looking West on radar has really no meaning at all because everything falls apart just prior to reaching UNV and holes are popping and disappearing constantly. Frustrating indeed. Nothing of any significance seems to be able to make it past around Tyrone.

Looks like the sweet spot will be a line about 15-20 miles south of State College. Based on the radar animations I've seen, they probably have upwards of 6", and may end up with 8"+ after all is said and done. Seems like State College is going to struggle to reach 4.5", mainly because the stronger echos continue to die out before they get here.

Archived