Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unusual for radar at this point in a storm - more like you'd expect before air gets saturated here - looking West on radar has really no meaning at all because everything falls apart just prior to reaching UNV and holes are popping and disappearing constantly. Frustrating indeed. Nothing of any significance seems to be able to make it past around Tyrone.

Just a quick cursory study from SPC meso page shows that the best dynamics are clearly moving off to the east and along the frontal boundary through the south. From a very basic synoptic view, the burly high over Quebec which is certainly supplying the cold is also fighting the minimal moisture this system tapped from the GOM. We began with deep cold and much of the initial moisture was utilized to saturate the column. This was a nice moderate, climatologically typical winter event for PA with a wave moving across the country. Certainly some locales will do better than others, but a general snowfall of 3-5" from this synoptic setup is what one should expect in mid winter with a nice Arctic high in place while a relatively weak wave attacks from the west and tries to advect moisture towards it from the GOM.

It's a good day when you go to bed while it's snowing and wake up the next morning and it stil is snowing.

No mixing here in Harrisburg (as of yet), looks like 4.25"-4.5" eyeballed (no contacts do that could be off a tad).

Expecting another few hours if snow, would be awesome if we don't flip to zr as forecast at the tail end.

As of 7 am, 4.2" with a liquid equivalent of 0.46" giving a ratio of ~9:1...surprisingly low given what I observed overnight and what I walked through early this morning. I would like to get one good -8C 850 mb isotherm snowfall here this winter...we have all of February to possibly enjoy that. Location for this obs is northern York County.

It's a good day when you go to bed while it's snowing and wake up the next morning and it stil is snowing.

No mixing here in Harrisburg (as of yet), looks like 4.25"-4.5" eyeballed (no contacts do that could be off a tad).

Expecting another few hours if snow, would be awesome if we don't flip to zr as forecast at the tail end.

Measured 30 minutes ago. at 4.5 on the dot, Its still snowing so we may do 5 or even 5.5, i can't get a radar so i'm not sue what lse is coming.

We got hammered the rest of the overnight, had 7.5" at about 730 this morning and thats pretty much where we finished... overachiever ftw.

Cool...I bet there are some 8-9" reports from that area.

We ended with 4.5" here, exactly what I was expecting. A nice event, especially this winter.

Archived