Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying to figure out what that was on Chickaree, if it was freezing rain or not. It does seem like there is ice accumulating on it, and since JST is now reporting a mix, it certainly could be.

Yea it just recently started getting that. Usually one of the first things I'll look at to confirm the beginnings of the changeover in these situations. In the case of this storm given the flat track of the low south of PA, there's probably not going to be much more of a northward penetration in the mix line. I guess we will see what it does east of the Laurel's overnight.

Yea it just recently started getting that. Usually one of the first things I'll look at to confirm the beginnings of the changeover in these situations. In the case of this storm given the flat track of the low south of PA, there's probably not going to be much more of a northward penetration in the mix line. I guess we will see what it does east of the Laurel's overnight.

I agree - we were using Route 22 as the battle zone where the mix line would end up. Looks like the mix is through Bedford and into Fulton counties given the radar echoes and the Breezewood traffic cams.

I agree - we were using Route 22 as the battle zone where the mix line would end up. Looks like the mix is through Bedford and into Fulton counties given the radar echoes and the Breezewood traffic cams.

Here's how the precip broke down for me as I went from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh:

• Sideling Hill: All Snow
  • Somerset: Heavy Snow...near whiteout
  • New Stanton: Freezing Rain
  • Pittsburgh: Moderate Sleet

Also, even if temporary, they're reporting that it has switched back to snow in Johnstown.

That looks like an ASOS error to me - visibility wouldn't be 4 miles if it was snowing given the current radar over them. Could be some flakes mixed in, but it still should be predominantly sleet.

Little worried, looks as if it going to quit snowing here by 330 am or so. Didn't expect that dryslot!

I'm not quite as worried for us. Precip looks to be moving due e, and the returns in s cent oh are nicely filled in. I'm more worried about the changeover hurting our totals. So far we've overperformed the total snowfall predicted by 2 of the tv mets I watched tonight... :snowing:

Intellicast radar actually starting to show a bit of a retreat south in the ice/snow line in the Pit area. Makes me wonder if as the low slides by and sags the rest of the shield through that it may in fact change some of the metro area back over to snow.

I just started seeing a few flakes begin mixing back in, first time since about 1 I'd say. Fingers crossed over here!

Just went for a nice 20 minute stroll outside. Roads are completely snowcovered, even with plows out. And one word: dendrites! ^_^

Not the most delicate dendrites (sort of hybrid plates-dendrites), but enough to give good ratios. :)

Getting hard to tell between the parking lot outside and the grass. Snow is close to the curb, which is 3" or so. Nice rates, too.

Up to 2.0" at 2:30AM due to another brief lull. But now snow is coming down about as hard as it has all night, and it should only continue to (generally) pick up over the next couple hours. :D

2.5" at 3:00 AM. That's 1/2" in 1/2 hour. Should be a little less this next half hour, as we have a lull coming through.

Archived