SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got ourselves a good one tonight NNE's. under 1/2 mile vis, hammering snow, snow devils dancing all around, drifting, temps have paused 21F and holding for now. lookin like the snowblower gets a workout tomorrow :)

can only imagine what is happening over 3000'. snowbomb. I rescind my statement J would report 10-12 in the AM, haha

Winter Storm Warning for the west slopes now.

Thanks for the update PF, hadn’t stopped in at the NWS page for a while. It’s not too surprising though with ~3”/hr here, it could be even more intense is some of those favored west slope spots. Accumulations happen pretty fast at those snowfall rates, and driving can be quite difficult. Bolton has probably been taking quite a pounding tonight. I’ve added the updated BTV graphics below; the electric violet color for 6 to 8 inches extends down the spine now, and there a little of that more magenta/fuchsia color for 8 to 10 inches up north:

13JAN12E.jpg

13JAN12F.jpg

Coming down hard here in Barre. Don't know when it cranked up but the roads are getting pretty nasty. Would love to see it continue but we're not in an upslope region so I'm not holding my breath.ike I said last night, would love to double up on the 4 plus inches from round 1, we'll see.

What's so implausible about it? The airport and South Portland both reported around 8", and I thought I saw a 9" figure from Old Orchard Beach earlier. I just did an admittedly unscientific measurement in a flat area out back, and came up with just over 9". I'm as surprised as anyone that this coastal location did so well, but it is what it is. The questioning of storm reports on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

Yeah well be amazed, Your 9" that you came up with is reasonable, I actually had to measure in 6 spots to come up with an avg as there was wind, There were no spotter totals within 2.0" that were reported to GYX in any surrounding communitys, Thats why i questioned it knowing climo for those areas, They all are similar and the totals should be the same within an 1", There was no town in maine that reported double digit totals.

NOUS41 KGYX 131407

PNSGYX

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-180235--140207-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

907 AM EST FRI JAN 13 2012

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 16

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE

ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GRAY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...

SCARBOROUGH 10.0 547 PM 1/12

1 SSW SOUTH PORTLAND 8.2 715 PM 1/12

PORTLAND JETPORT 7.9 704 PM 1/12

1 ENE SOUTH WINDHAM 7.5 821 AM 1/13

2 SSW CUMBERLAND 7.0 807 AM 1/13

1 ESE WESTBROOK 7.0 600 PM 1/12

NEW GLOUCESTER 7.0 621 PM 1/12

BRIDGTON 6.9 627 PM 1/12

PORTLAND - N DEERING 6.8 1139 PM 1/12

3 NW BRIDGTON 6.7 700 AM 1/13 CO-OP OBSERVER

CUMBERLAND CENTER 6.5 800 PM 1/12

GORHAM 6.1 751 PM 1/12

GRAY - NWS OFFICE 6.0 700 PM 1/12 CO-OP OBSERVER

NORTH SEBAGO 6.0 530 PM 1/12

1 WSW BRUNSWICK 6.0 515 PM 1/12

GRAY NWS OFFICE 6.0 659 PM 1/12

RAYMOND 6.0 700 PM 1/12

1 NNE CUMBERLAND 5.0 612 PM 1/12

I'm here at the mountain and am just speechless...

Since 2:30pm yesterday, I've got around 11-12" on the snow board and that looked wind compacted, lol. 48 hour storm total at the base is now 15.5". Snow depth around 20".

This is why we put reflectors on the trees showing the path to the snow board. 5am, pitch black, still snowing pretty hard (which is incredible that its still coming down), windy, whiteout, all previous tracks errased and huge thigh deep drifts all through the woods. Thankfully I followed the reflectors and got in and out with no problem.

Holy sh*t. It looks absolutely nuts out there right now. Gusting 50-60mph up top. Drifts are huge.

Since 2:30pm yesterday, I've got around 11-12" on the snow board and that looked wind compacted, lol. 48 hour storm total at the base is now 15.5". Snow depth around 20".

This is why we put reflectors on the trees showing the path to the snow board. 5am, pitch black, still snowing pretty hard (which is incredible that its still coming down), windy, whiteout, all previous tracks errased and huge thigh deep drifts all through the woods. Thankfully I followed the reflectors and got in and out with no problem.

Holy sh*t. It looks absolutely nuts out there right now. Gusting 50-60mph up top. Drifts are huge.

Congrats! My brother and his family are skiing there this weekend. I had told him he'd be in for a treat.

Happy trails!

Yeah well be amazed, Your 9" that you came up with is reasonable, I actually had to measure in 6 spots to come up with an avg as there was wind, There were no spotter totals within 2.0" that were reported to GYX in any surrounding communitys, Thats why i questioned it knowing climo for those areas, They all are similar and the totals should be the same within an 1", There was no town in maine that reported double digit totals.

NOUS41 KGYX 131407

PNSGYX

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-180235--140207-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

907 AM EST FRI JAN 13 2012

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 16

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE

ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GRAY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...

SCARBOROUGH 10.0 547 PM 1/12

1 SSW SOUTH PORTLAND 8.2 715 PM 1/12

PORTLAND JETPORT 7.9 704 PM 1/12

1 ENE SOUTH WINDHAM 7.5 821 AM 1/13

2 SSW CUMBERLAND 7.0 807 AM 1/13

1 ESE WESTBROOK 7.0 600 PM 1/12

NEW GLOUCESTER 7.0 621 PM 1/12

BRIDGTON 6.9 627 PM 1/12

PORTLAND - N DEERING 6.8 1139 PM 1/12

3 NW BRIDGTON 6.7 700 AM 1/13 CO-OP OBSERVER

CUMBERLAND CENTER 6.5 800 PM 1/12

GORHAM 6.1 751 PM 1/12

GRAY - NWS OFFICE 6.0 700 PM 1/12 CO-OP OBSERVER

NORTH SEBAGO 6.0 530 PM 1/12

1 WSW BRUNSWICK 6.0 515 PM 1/12

GRAY NWS OFFICE 6.0 659 PM 1/12

RAYMOND 6.0 700 PM 1/12

1 NNE CUMBERLAND 5.0 612 PM 1/12

Sorry I came across as defensive. The questioning of totals is a time-honored board tradition, and I can see why the Scarborough number would appear to be an outlier.

Anyway, it's bulletproof now and I intend to enjoy the snowcover while I do my best to avoid the doom-and-gloom mid/long-range discussion in that other thread......

Event totals: 11.6” Snow/0.91” L.E.

I cleared the snowboard and made a set of midnight observations, but I just headed off to bed after that, so I’m sending those in with the 6:00 A.M observations this morning. The 6:00 P.M. to 12:00 A.M. shot of snow came in at 5.1% H2O, and the snow was still getting fluffier. This morning was actually one of those occasions where my elevated snowboard was affected by the wind; as usual there’s actually not much wind down here (5 MPH or so), but the 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. snow was so dry (~1% H2O) that all it takes is a whisper of wind to disturb it and blow some off the board. Thus I had to do those analyses off of one of my ground-based snowboards. With this morning’s accumulation, this event became the largest of the year at this location, besting the 11.0-inch Thanksgiving event. The total snowfall down here thus far is 11.6 inches, and up above us on the mountain at Bolton, it looks like the storm total is 15 inches. I’ve added the storm totals for the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen update so far below; I’ll update these later when resorts report/revise:

Jay Peak: 19”

Smuggler’s Notch: 15”

Stowe: 18”

Bolton Valley: 15”

Mad River Glen: 16”

Sugarbush: 16”

Pico: 14”

Killington: 14”

Mount Snow: 17”

12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 19.5

Snow Density: 5.1% H2O

Temperature: 26.2 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 13.0 inches

6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 100.0

Snow Density: 1.0% H2O

Temperature: 13.6 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 11.5 inches

Since 2:30pm yesterday, I've got around 11-12" on the snow board and that looked wind compacted, lol.  48 hour storm total at the base is now 15.5".  Snow depth around 20".

This is why we put reflectors on the trees showing the path to the snow board.  5am, pitch black, still snowing pretty hard (which is incredible that its still coming down), windy, whiteout, all previous tracks errased and huge thigh deep drifts all through the woods.  Thankfully I followed the reflectors and got in and out with no problem.

Holy sh*t.  It looks absolutely nuts out there right now.  Gusting 50-60mph up top.  Drifts are huge.

AWT, congrats waist deep powdah day.

Did you get a foot at the lodge or up on the mtn?

10" overnight, 12" last 24 hours at 1,500ft

12" overnight, 14" last 24 hours at 3,000ft

Values are rounded due to some drifting so those are middle of the road values. Some spots are deeper, some have less. But the snow boards are pretty sheltered so those should be fairly good numbers. After skiing I have high confidence in those amounts. No one is going to question it given these conditions.

Patrol just called in, we are now 100% open.

And yes, good call on the snowfall last night! You and Ginx.

Values are rounded due to some drifting so those are middle of the road values. Some spots are deeper, some have less. But the snow boards are pretty sheltered so those should be fairly good numbers. After skiing I have high confidence in those amounts. No one is going to question it given these conditions.

And yes, good call on the snowfall last night! You and Ginx.

I didn't talk too much about snowfall up there iirc. I think Ryan did, but thanks anyways..lol.

No I believe it...just didn't know if it was more at the lodge. Man that's sweet. It continues to be horrible here.

Values are rounded due to some drifting so those are middle of the road values.  Some spots are deeper, some have less.  But the snow boards are pretty sheltered so those should be fairly good numbers.  After skiing I have high confidence in those amounts.  No one is going to question it given these conditions.

And yes, good call on the snowfall last night!  You and Ginx.

Fantastic news for MLK weekend, Mt Snow reporting 17" over the 24 hour period, just a classic setup. Next week looks better and better for you too.

<p>

actually their website reports 17" over last 7 days with 11" in the last 24hr. But still, how does Mt snow get 11" when Okemo, just down the road only reports 2-4"???

Chris M is there and concurs a foot down

from JSPIN

Jay Peak: 19”Smuggler’s Notch: 15”Stowe: 18”Bolton Valley: 15”Mad River Glen: 16”Sugarbush: 16”Pico: 14”Killington: 14”Mount Snow: 17”

pretty special morning at 3600'. wind to a break around 7:15, felt overwhelmingly quiet, after a 45 min walk with a jet engine roaring overhead.

Do you (or anyone else in VT/ western NH) ever hear, what I think are military planes flying back and forth overhead? We get it a fair bit here, always when it's cloudy and they roar along overhead, seemingly low, and from north to south, south to north, north to south, and on, anon. We've had several bouts of it lately.

F-16s from Burlington?

Anyway, lovely day. Started at 13F, now 11F, fresh snow, a few breaks appearing and all plowed out. Boom.

Archived