Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

What does this mean, I'm trying to learn

Thank you

there is usually a really nice band that sets up near the nw edge of the CCB area. Models often times do not pick up on it, RGEM seems to be getting it better then the NAM. NAM seems to focus totally on the band along 95 that is being driven by extreme frontal forcing.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not 100% sure this will matter with traffic. The Gov't (Fed and local) are probably going to start sending people home around 12-2pm so no matter when the snow starts traffic will be a nightmare.

i know they want to close less after last yr but it seems they should let out early. putting people right into the middle of potential 1-3"/hr rates is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Hey, I was talking to Justin Berk from WMAR, and he said that the NAM had connective feedback issues. Is that true, is it actually overdoing it?

maybe not overdoing but notice how it cut back extremely along the northern edges of the precip shield while focusing more on the middle...this might be error. NAM tends to overdo it along the max precip area and underdo it along the edges.

there is usually a really nice band that sets up near the nw edge of the CCB area. Models often times do not pick up on it, RGEM seems to be getting it better then the NAM. NAM seems to focus totally on the band along 95 that is being driven by extreme frontal forcing.

Thanks for explaining that, Hoff. In that sense, would it be two bands setting up due to different atmospheric conditions?

This happened last year with the blizzards, right?

Where it seems like it is snowing in one band and doesn't move for a while

FWIW, the RUC wants to keep 850s above 0C until about 22z. That would mean 1-2hrs of -RA as the the ULL precip max reaches us.

12z GFS has the 850 0C line right along I-95 at 18z.

Ruc showed the same thing for the Feb 5 2010 blizzard

Hard not to worry about temps... sorry... but I'm worried about them.

I really wouldn't worry about them. It's 33 right now at both the NA and BWI. The majoirty of whatever falls will fall at night. We already have some snowcover which will make it all the easier to stick. All the major models crash the 850's east of us when the real heavy stuff hits. Temps won't stay at 33-34 with the kind of dynamics to bring down the cold air. The NWS has already busted because AA county was suppose to see some rain mixed with snow at times with little or no accumulations and there's mulitiple reports of over an inch.

Good to know. I honestly never used when I was actually putting out forecasts for our area, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Here's 12Z NAM MOS for my house in 3 hour intervals

looks like there's a spike until precip comes in and temps crash

the bulk of the precip looks to fall after entire column supports snow

NAM 12 km#

Latitude: 39.21 Longitude: -76.68 &

DATA INITIAL TIME: 26 JAN 2011 12Z&

CALCULATION STARTED AT: 26 JAN 2011 12Z&

HOURS OF CALCULATION: 48 &

FIELD MSL PRESSURE TEMPERATURE DEW POINT TEMPERATURE THICKNESS HEIGHT PRECIPITATION

LEVEL 2M 2M 850 MB 500 MB 500 MB

UNITS HPA DEGC DEGC DEGC DM DM MM

HR

+ 0. 1014.8 0.2 -0.0 -2.3 543.8 555.6 2.60

+ 3. 1010.1 0.5 -0.0 -2.3 543.8 551.8 1.63

+ 6. 1006.8 2.0 1.1 0.4 545.2 550.7 0.00

+ 9. 1003.7 1.3 0.7 -0.3 542.8 545.7 0.98

+ 12. 1004.8 0.5 0.2 -3.5 537.6 541.4 17.01

+ 15. 1005.5 0.2 -0.3 -3.1 535.3 539.8 14.52

Archived