SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been laid up with the flu and fever peaked at 103.5 yesterday....ugg. Finally feel good enough to get back on the computer. From what I see, 500 track and strength still pretty much on que from what we were expecting early yesterday. Kind of a relief after being away for a while.

That ULL means biz in WV. Should be wild to watch as it comes over the mtns and all hell breaks loose for us.

Just jumping in to congratulate psuhoffman and all others who saw this coming.

Originally posted on January 18th by psuhoffman -

"This thread is funny... I am on record saying it will snow Friday but I think its 1-3" for DC, maybe 2-4" for my area and Phin. Some would be very happy with that. I am looking for the big ticket event and I do feel the setup is more favorable for the storm in the day 7-8 time period. The H5 vort is digging much further south and there is more southern stream energy involved. There is also a -NAO breaking down as it approaches. This is a good setup for our area. Now the H5 has to track correctly but it at least has a chance, this storm Friday it looks like the H5 is not really digging far enough. The NAM and GFS took steps towards something more significant for our area the last run so hopefully I will go down in flames on that prediction. I still like the storm next week though, at least as much as possible for 7 days away."

WELL DONE!!! :thumbsup:

I'm still not in a warning. that's one of the problems with have warning by county. I live about 100 yards from Ann Ardundel county and usually end up with the same weather as the southern part of that county while southern Calvert ends up with something different. 100 yards from me they are forecasting 5-10.....oh the injustice of it all. :whistle:

Does anyone remember a storm eerily similar to this back in 2001 I think it was? There was a coastal storm that scraped our area with light rain and drizzle all day and then an ull that looks EXACTLY like this roared in and pounded the coast with up to 8-14 inches of snow. The only difference is that the low was a tad bit further north and my area ended up with about 4 inches and d.c. only one or two. But other than the track these storms were essentially identical twins.

I'm still not in a warning. that's one of the problems with have warning by county. I live about 100 yards from Ann Ardundel county and usually end up with the same weather as the southern part of that county while southern Calvert ends up with something different. 100 yards from me they are forecasting 5-10.....oh the injustice of it all. :whistle:

Yet, the 12pm NWS forecast update for AA County is the exact one (3-5") as used at 9am.

Worked for the Federal Gov't for years before moving to private sector. 6-12 WILL NOT shut down the government. They will most likely go with 2 hour delay and liberal leave for that. The only way they might think about closing is if Metro indicates they can't open the above ground stations by 10 in the morning. I believe it's over 6 inches on the tracks that results in above ground Metro stations closing.

If we get an area-wide 6-12 snowfall, I imagine that the Fed will shut down tomorrow with the exception of essential employees. All of that heavy wet snow on metro tracks, sidewalks, parking lots, etc. is a pain to clear.

I know people have been posting total QPF maps, keep in mind that indeed some of it won't be frozen, as it includes what's falling now right? I'd say probably a good idea to shave off .1-.25 from the QPF totals when looking at how much snow you are going to get at this point. Think that would be a good conservative estimate at this point?

Worked for the Federal Gov't for years before moving to private sector. 6-12 WILL NOT shut down the government. They will most likely go with 2 hour delay and liberal leave for that. The only way they might think about closing is if Metro indicates they can't open the above ground stations by 10 in the morning. I believe it's over 6 inches on the tracks that results in above ground Metro stations closing.

It's 8.

Everything else I pretty much agree with.

I'd say probably a good idea to shave off .1-.25 from the QPF totals when looking at how much snow you are going to get at this point. Think that would be a good conservative estimate at this point?

Maybe 0.1" unless you are in far southern MD or the eastern shore. Certainly not 0.25".

Just a warning to others: Last night the forecast here was for 4-8". Snow just won't accumulate and now we're expecting trace to an inch of snow.

Better luck to all of you.

Fortunately temps here a bit colder and our precip will be at night as temps cool even farther, so not sure the same applies up here.

Just a warning to others: Last night the forecast here was for 4-8". Snow just won't accumulate and now we're expecting trace to an inch of snow.

Better luck to all of you.

Those damn steampipes under the sidewalks! I remember one storm I was in the dorms and everyone was out on the drillfield throwing snowballs, totally wasted. Everyone thought we'd have no class. WRONG. Sidewalks were all wet and there was an army of farmers on tractors plowing the roads.

Those damn steampipes under the sidewalks! I remember one storm I was in the dorms and everyone was out on the drillfield throwing snowballs, totally wasted. Everyone thought we'd have no class. WRONG. Sidewalks were all wet and there was an army of farmers on tractors plowing the roads.

I went to VT too. I recall the steam as well.

Archived