joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowstorm Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the east they are...but over NYC it looks like they are hedging a little more cautious. I think the NAM gave NYC over a foot of snow and they are going 9" there...but they went bonkers over LI and CT.

Bodes well for the Taunton forecast area given the frequent coordination between those two stations in events like this.

To the east they are...but over NYC it looks like they are hedging a little more cautious. I think the NAM gave NYC over a foot of snow and they are going 9" there...but they went bonkers over LI and CT.

That because they're feeling the banding there? It looked like the blended the juicy parts of the NAM, took it down a slight bit, and added the Euro reduction just west of me onward.

Thanks. Relatively quick mover, should keep those expecting 20" in check with reality.

don't underestimate snow rates from mesoscale banding. All it takes is a few hours of 3-4"/hr rates and you've already picked up over 12". Add several more hours of 1"/hr rates and 20" is easily within grasp. It may not be as widespread as some are expecting...but there will be a decent number of reports that approach 20" I think.

What are your thoughts on this storm for your region ORH?

I'm thinking about an 8 hour snowbomb with light snows on each side...a slightly longer duration version of 12/9/05. So instead of max snowfalls in the 16" range, we will probably see a few spots over 20".

I like a track near or just inside ACK. (Nantucket) But it could perhaps wind up even closer if this goes nuts enough. I remember just how much of a nowcast event 12/9/05 was...things were changing so quickly in that. . I ended up with a pretty good forecast heding toward the mesoscale models in that, but in the end, it still wasnt quite bullish enough.

don't underestimate snow rates from mesoscale banding. All it takes is a few hours of 3-4"/hr rates and you've already picked up over 12". Add several more hours of 1"/hr rates and 20" is easily within grasp. It may not be as widespread as some are expecting...but there will be a decent number of reports that approach 20" I think.

Kinda of like saying "all it takes to win Powerball". lol

Come on. Look at the SLP initialized on the Euro. It's clear it IS missing something. People are so biased to the EURO or GFS like it can do no wrong. And, I know you can't stand the NAM, but you have to look in to it's strengths.

It's amazing how we justify which model we'll favor in a given situation.

If the Euro was showing the blizzard of 1978 right now and the NAM was todays Euro not one peep would be made. Because it's reversed, there must be something the Euro missed.

Archived