• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Storm Dicussion - January 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

People really can't tell the difference between 10'' and 12''...unless of course they measure it.

What are the chances EVERYONE in the entire state gets 12'' of snow? There's always some locations that come in with just a bit less.

I doubt the difference of 2'' is going to change the intimidation factor of people.

Once the public hears a foot of snow or more...they take notice..below that to them it's manageable

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PYM to EWB jackpot?

I would say its a bit NW of that.

Well, i said "similar"....not exact.......I like Norwood for the conventional jackpot and the "shock the world" jackpot near Princeton and Jaffrey.

BTW, DT has ACK in 12"+.....his maps are not very detailed and pay no respect to local climo.

I see expectations rising with nearly every post....are we all of the sudden expecting 2" of qpf?

I do think someone will get 18 or 20 to 1 ratios in a nasty band somewhere...but an inch of qpf is hard to turn into a widespread 15"+ storm. The storm is going to be dynamic as hell so its certainly possible to see a lot of 12"+ amounts....but the 20-30" talk is excessive IMHO. Lets see if we can get a bit more of a signal for that other than some weenie NAM runs.

I see expectations rising with nearly every post....are we all of the sudden expecting 2" of qpf?

I do think someone will get 18 or 20 to 1 ratios in a nasty band somewhere...but an inch of qpf is hard to turn into a widespread 15"+ storm. The storm is going to be dynamic as hell so its certainly possible to see a lot of 12"+ amounts....but the 20-30" talk is excessive IMHO. Lets see if we can get a bit more of a signal for that other than some weenie NAM runs.

I mentioned earlier it's very possible we'd see a couple 30 inch amounts..which I truly believe..though i don't think it's Jaffrey NH... I think 12-18 with lolli's to 20 is very reasonable for a met to put out as a forecast based on everything we have in front of us

Agree 12-16 should be good to start

Once the public hears a foot of snow or more...they take notice..below that to them it's manageable

Are you kidding? People freak out in this state over 3'' of snowfall, stores become packed...everyone acts like they will not be able to get food for weeks.

Plus when you mention a range of snowfall totals people ALWAYS pay attention to the higher number you have listed rather than the lowest number you have listed.

people only listen to the high number anyway.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to go with yet... I'm not sold everyone gets 12"+... or even 8"+

Here is why the GFS offers more confusion than help.. every other piece of model guidance offer 12 inches at least...yet since an 18z GFS op run doesn't ..people actually consider it an option...even when it's own ensembles are much juicier. You've got to stop using the GFS

:lol:

i was afraid if i posted that it would be construed as sour grapes.

when you start getting into the 20-30 range you honestly start entering the upper echelon of SNE events. this doesn't have that written all over it. it could very well be a good one that lots of folks remember and such, but 30" is very hard to come by...especially when something is cranking in and out of here in such a short period of time.

I mentioned earlier it's very possible we'd see a couple 30 inch amounts..which I truly believe..though i don't think it's Jaffrey NH... I think 12-18 with lolli's to 20 is very reasonable for a met to put out as a forecast based on everything we have in front of us

How are going to get 30 inches in a storm that moves along?

The EURO gave n NJ 1" of QPF right before the blizzard and it worked out pretty well for them.

I'm not sure why you keep hammering away on that; we all know that no professional should relay that to their clients, but storms like this are capable of that.

I'd go 9-18" if I were you.

Here is why the GFS offers more confusion than help.. every other piece of model guidance offer 12 inches at least...yet since an 18z GFS op run doesn't ..people actually consider it an option...even when it's own ensembles are much juicier. You've got to stop using the GFS

So I should use the NAM instead? Dude, come on.

The Euro isn't exactly railing us with QPF

when you start getting into the 20-30 range you honestly start entering the upper echelon of SNE events. this doesn't have that written all over it. it could very well be a good one that lots of folks remember and such, but 30" is very hard to come by...especially when something is cranking in and out of here in such a short period of time.

Yeppers exactly where the 20 plus started is crazy.

If amounts over 20" occurred....I think they will be confined to a relatively narrow area where a band from hell sets up for a long duration. The storm simply isn't long duration enough for this to be a HECS.

Maybe that will change at the last second, and we see a 06z NAM type run from last night where it prolongs the heavier snow...but until that happens, I think people need to realize that you might end up with 7-10" if you miss out on banding or are just unlucky.

Its possible too that we see a ton of high end MECS amounts too, but expecting that as the floor for this storm is setting yourself up for disappointment. The one positive I'll say is that qpf has slowly been rising amongst the consensus of guidance rather than decreasing.

How did they do it in Jersey 2 weeks ago..or Albany in Christmas 2003..or countless others that moved along?

Maybe but the mid level centers have to be absolutely in the sweet spot. What can go wrong? Failure to get the H7 low in synch in time. A track too far east (less likely), bad luck.

Archived